Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

01 V70 CEL code info

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 V70 CEL code info

Tonight when I started my V70 non-turbo I was greeted by a CEL. After pulling the code which was P1011 I have been unable to find any info on what this code could be. Also after driving around for a bit and making a few stops the CEL went off on my last restart but stayed in pending codes.

Anyone out there ran into this code before?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM

is the car acting funny in anyway?

crush

Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Not really. The only thing that is somewhat noticeable is that from time to acceleration seems a bit sluggish until you get above 3-3,500 rpm's. Nobody has been able to give me an answer as to what the code could be.

I've gone to the 2 Volvo dealers near me and asked them about the code and both literally laughed at me and said the code doesn't mean anything to Volvo and would need to be pulled by their system.

One of the service manager was nice about it and did say that it could be the mass air flow sensor or the ETM. I just cleaned the ETM about 2 months ago and have not seen any of the symptoms of a failing ETM. I also tried cleaning the mass air flow sensor since it is the original one but didn't notice a differance. I did however notice a small but noticeable improvement in my acceleration when the CEL was on but once I cleared the code it went back to being sluggish at random times.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello, I searched around and found that your P1XXX (Volvo specific) code is: ECM-Internal fault in knock sensor circuit. Assuming I found correct info I can only guess that a knock sensor is causing the ECM to do crazy things to the spark advance and God knows what else. Repeat: This is only a guess. If you can't find an independent mechanic near you in N.C. you might just be better off at a dealer. Don't patronize those guys who blew you off. Please get back to us when you nail it down. Kira

Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Well finally found a good independent Volvo shop that only specializes in Volvo's. They read the code Volvo code and found it pointed to the intake solenoid but after taking the solenoid off the tech found air bubbles in the oil but still tested the solenoid which tested out perfectly fine. You could see in the diag software while the car was running that it would only randomly get a reading for timing adjustment.

At that point they preformed a oil pressure test and found it is getting pressure but the needle at idle would stay somewhat steady but upon reving the engine it would go up but the needle would bounce around quite abit. They figure that one of the oil sump seals have gone which is causing the timing not to adjust properly due to erratic oil pressure and also all the air bubbles. So they are going to drop the oil pan, flush everything and replace the seals.

They figure this was probably caused when my flame trap box got clogged up and I had a oil leak at my crank seal and a blown o-ring on my dipstick tube but the sump seal didn't start giving up till recently.

They said for now it's ok for short drives till I can get it repaired in two weeks when I get paid. Luckily my wife only works 2 blocks from our house so she'll get her car back till it's fixed. Now for my fun filled task of replacing the AC Compressor on my 240 so I can get it back as my heavy duty driving car since I drive between 150-300 miles per day. I took over her V70 for better mpg's and working AC after my compressor seized about a month ago.

I'll keep ya posted on how things go after it's repaired.