Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

01 V70 non-turbo front strut replacement / CV boot / axle replacement

Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 V70 non-turbo front strut replacement / CV boot / axle replacement

I'm going to be replacing my struts soon. I don't know yet if I'm going to do them myself or take it somewhere, but since I was able to successfully replace my timing belt and related accessories, I thought I might give them suspension a shot and save some money.

I also need to replace the axles and/or CV boots. The outter boots are torn where the boot attaches to the axle end. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy the boot kits and just remove the axles complete and change the boots, or just buy rebuilt axles.

I know people have said the boots are a pain to replace and people just prefer installing rebuilt axles for $100 or so.

I'm looking for feedback from anybody that has done this to see if they have used any other Struts then OEM. I am looking at Koni and other brands as I may go the high-performance route. I'm only doing the front for now. The rear shocks seem great.

If you remove the axle it doesnt seem like it would be TOO bad to replace the boot if you can just lay the axle out on a table and work on it.

If anybody has done this or has any feedback I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if anybody does have any non-OEM struts, I'd like to know what you have and how you like them compared to OEM.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Default RE: 01 V70 non-turbo front strut replacement / CV boot / axle replacement

I just ran across this thread so I think I'll be replacing the entire axle(s):

https://volvoforums.com/m_135415/mpa.../tm.htm#139308

Why go through all that work if they will need replacing anyway.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Default RE: 01 V70 non-turbo front strut replacement / CV boot / axle replacement

Just so there is a running documentary here if how to do it and what you need, I'll document what I am buying. I'm starting with these spring compressors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Automotive-C...QQcmdZViewItem

They look really thick and sturdy, AND cheap.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'll be following this thread closely because new shocks are in my future as well!

Also, I just had the driver side CV shaft rebuilt on my girlfriend's 99 V70, so I'll share my experience. I took it off (hour or so), took it to the driveshaft shop, paid a whopping 55 bucks, got it back next day, & installed it! It was a smooth experience. The rebuilt shaft works great so far, no more clicking or clunking on tight turns. They did new boots, new internals, new grease, and even new paint. It was well worth the money over just changing the boots myself. Don't hesitate for a second to do the axle swap yourself, its really easy and shocks are even easier. I'm in the same boat though, I don't know what brand shocks to get.

If you've done a timing belt this is a walk in the park. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM

You got it rebuilt for $55? That's incredible.

Well, I've been watching eBay and other parts sites for shocks. I'll probably end up with the OEM ones off eBay. I already found the PITA to find passenger side axle (the long one?) for $89 NEW. I've been looking for that for months, literally. That's already on it's way. The driver's side (the short one, I think) are a dime a dozen on eBay and other parts stores. I don't know why the long one is so hard to find and the short one is so popular. I guess the short one breaks more because it bends more? I dunno.

Here's what I'm replacing:

Struts (obviously)
Axles
Bearing Plates (one is already done)
Mounts
Axle seal(s)

I already bought these for the '01 but they needed to be modified a bit to fit since they aren't made for the '01:

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-...p-127-388-868/

Even though they weren't a perfect fit, there is a very noticable difference in handling. You just need to torque the nuts a bit more then recommended so the bar is as tight as possible.

But anyway, somewhere on the web there was something I found that compared the compression reaction time of the OEM Volvo struts to the aftermarket ones, and it wasn't much different then the Koni's and Bilstiens. I think the biggest differences between OEM and aftermarket was the cornering stiffness rather then the reaction time. After putting those bushings on, the stiffness was much better so I don't know if I would spend $200+ more for High Performance shocks/struts when it's already pretty good.

What I might do though is buy the high performance mounts for the front with the new stiffer bushings, get the OEM struts, and then buy some stiffer shocks for the rear or replace the sway bar in the back. I'm trying not to spend a million dollars and save as much money as I can but also get a stiffer ride.

Tech also told me the axles are a piece of cake so this job sounds pretty easy. I'm kinda excited about doing it since this is the first real time I actually have control of my suspension upgrades. I can't wait to see the difference!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also need new sway bar ends. They are usuallyworn outquickly and are the major source of front end noise. They need to be removed for the strut removal and/or drive shaft replacement. They will not come off in one piece.
Also don't forget to replace the rubber upper spring mounts.
It is not a bad job but do it all at once. Don't replace and axle one week and a strut the next. Double the work. Should be less than a day in the driveway or garage with hand tools for everything.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks! I was thinking about doing the links but I have no noise coming from the front so I'm not sure if they were done before. I had the pass. side spring mount replaced when I bought the car and when it went back together it was fine, but I had a shop do it. Now the driver's side is going as well so I already ordered that.

I won a set of two OEM Volvo/sachs struts on eBay from FCP Groton for $195 for both with free shipping! I couldn't pass that deal up. They are brand new. Considering they go for $150 to $180 each, I had to get those.

Now I need to find the driver's side axle, axle seal and I want to find some high performance stiffer strut mounts.

When you say sway bar ends, are you talking about the actual mounts or bolts for the sway bars? I think they make special thicker stiffer ones. I have to check.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is the link that goes from the end of the sway bar to the strut. Thats what he is talking about. They do make some heavier ones.
But they also vary in price.
Here is IPD's HD links
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-...p-127-388-864/

Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

And here is an OEM style.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/193

Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM

OK. That's what I thought they were. I'm still learning.

I'll watch eBay and see if anybody has any nicer ones. Would I actually feel a difference with thicker ones or are they just thick so they dont break as easily?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

You might feel a minor difference between the heavier ones and OEM ones.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

If you really want to go all out check these out!!!
http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_endlink.html

Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 AM

I'm sold! $60 for a pair of those is a good deal I think.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 AM

Nevermind. I thought the S in S60 was a $... $180 is a little out of my price range since I'm buying all of the other parts.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 AM

Do I need this?

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-...p-127-388-872/

Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator

I have used a pipe wrench to break the nut loose before taking the tension off the spring. Then compress the spring and remove the nut.
Or once you get one out take an old socket and cut grooves into it to fit over the nut and remove it that way.

I used a piece of square channel to make mine then I use a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter in the channel.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 AM

I have a socket wrench where the handle fits into my jack handle. I used that to break loose the upper engine mount bolts. The garage I'm doing this in has a table vice bolted onto a work bench. If I put the strut in the vice would that be good enough to break loose the bolts?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Should be fine that way.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM

OK I got the strut mounts.

Does the axle seal just come out and you slide the new one in?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

It is in there pretty tight. You will have to pry it out and then tap the new one in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 V70 non-turbo front strut replacement / CV boot / axle replacement