Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

1998 V70XC: What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 V70XC: What is it worth?

I am new to the forum here. It looks like a nice site! Besides this car, I also drove a 240DL into the ground. It was a great car, besides being absolutely horrible in the Ohio snow!
I am looking to sell my 1998 V70XC wagon in the near future, and I wondered what you all would think a fair price would be. The car has 149000 miles on it, I just replaced the heater core, all suspension components, timing belt, and had some axle work done. All of the electrical things on the car work, ie seats, windows, all lightbulbs, and the A/C is also still functioning well. The interior is just about immaculate with no cracks or punctures in the leather, no stains in the cargo area, and the upholstery is free of stains.
The weird quirks are that the automatic transmission button usually sticks in, so before you can pull the key out you have to use your fingers and pop out the button. Also, the check engine light is always on because of a broken air injection pump on the exhaust end. My mechanic tells me that the only purpose for it is to improve the emissions. I have all of the maitenance records for it since 25000 miles. There is also a nice sized dent in the passenger side by the wheel well. It isn't very noticeable, but since the car is black, the few scrape marks show up.
Other than that, I believe the car is very mechanically sound. Any ideas on what I should ask for it?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just an idea

Hello, Look at every ad for one of these you can find. ~match it. List all the maintenance and stick by your guns. Any other '98 out there will need LOTS more work done than air pump connection. AND if that's all there is wrong with it mechanically then consider fixing it and maybe driving it more. Kira

Old 04-08-2010, 03:42 PM

SOLD.
I let it go for $3800 considering the large dent and the bad heater core which is getting worse and will need to be repaired now. There was something with airflow that was needed to improve gas mileage for $450, but I don't remember what it was called. I was asking $4450 for future reference.

I am staying swedish with the replacement car, but I am thinking about a Saab... At one point, I sold Saabs and Volvos for a dealership. A replacement Volvo isn't ruled out yet, so may the best deal win .

Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Decision Time

Hello, For rookies like us, getting ~85% of your "original" price ain't too bad. The one thing you must keep in mind is that Saabs and Volvos are two different things-so it's not just the deal. Both are so good. I'd lean towards a 4 cyl. Saab as I feel it's a better fit to the design of the car. The turbo gives it more than enough power. I'd lean towards a non-turbo Volvo for the same reason (and I don't live in the mountains). All the Saab freaks I read over on Saabnet praise vented seats. My boyfriend and Mom have Saab 9-5s. They're groovey cars. I love my V70. It burns regular and I'm not a snappy driver. Oh my God, what are YOU going to do?!?!?! Kira ps It is a GREAT thing you dumped that '98 AWD equipt Volvo while it was still purring, not grumbling. K

Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM

I have heard about the wonders of vented seats over there also! I will have to try out a car with them to see if they are really that great. I am planning on sticking with the 4 cylinder if I go for Saab (at least for 9-5's; I have heard great things about the 9-3 V6) , since I have heard the maitenance on the 6 cylinder Saabs is too excessive and expensive for me. I am not planning on replacing the V70 with a wagon, since I really don't have a need for it now.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:25 PM

I bought mine this summer.same car same year in iowa in brown w 119k for $2200