Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2000 V70 XC problem, Turbo out? (posting in correct forum)

Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 V70 XC problem, Turbo out? (posting in correct forum)

Sorry - Posted this in the S70 forum & didn't notice.

Wednesday night, on our way home, our 2000 V70 XC which we've had for 3 months (155K when we bought it, 158K now) when I started having trouble keeping up with traffic, and the car started driving rough. There was a shimmy to it, more from it running rough. I also noticed that there was a lot of smoke out behind the car. Took the first exit & parked it.

I had my code reader in the car with me & hooked it up when I parked it.
  • There was no code thrown.
  • The only code in it was a P0422 that had been stored from when the last time the Check Engine light was on. I believe this is related to the O2 sensor.
  • All temp levels were okay, coolant running between 80-87C (176-186F)
  • Fluid levels (brake, power steering, cooling) Ok.
  • Oil was a little less than full, but we are due for an oil change this week.
  • Oil was the color of honey & you could see thru it.

Underneath the car, there was oil on the crossmember just behind the engine that was blowing back & getting on the exhaust. That's where the bulk of the smoke was coming from (I think).

Had it towed yesterday & got a call from the place I had it towed saying that they thought that the turbo had gone out on it. The person I spoke with said that oil had gotten onto the exhaust under the car as well as being passed thru the exhaust. That was beyond the level of repair they did, and suggested a couple import places in the area.

Questions:
  • Is what I'm having a sign of the turbo going/gone out, or can it be something else?
  • What are the symptoms/signs of the Turbo going out?
  • Pre-purchase (Oct 2011), I had an inspection done. Is it typical for the Turbo to go out with little or no warning, or would it have given some warning signs or something that should have jumped out during an inspection?
  • Can these same issues indicate another issue instead of (or in addition to) the Turbo?
  • Is it safe to drive (right now it is parked), even short distances?

Any thoughts & opinions appreciated. This is my first Volvo.