Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

2004 V70 Stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone learnt of the independent dealership referenced by BsaBantam above? I have sent a private message, but awaiting reply.
I have a newly acquired 2002 V70 2.4 Auto that performs identically to the descriptions above – I am becoming quite adept at nursing a stalling car into moving traffic!
One attempt with a main dealership gave a cleaned throttle housing, relprogrammed ECM, but no improvement at all. They are wanting to replace a damaged ‘B+’ terminal next (+ve jump lead point next to fuse box). I am not convinced this could be related to a fuel system issue.
A phonecall with an independent in the west-midlands suggested replacing coolant temp sensor (£20 part and prob a self-fit?!), I will probably hold out for the 3-way ECM/CEM/TCM mindwipe described by Bsabantam above. Keen to find a trustworthy provider who can get close to the costs highlighted in the example.

Any thoughts?

With thanks.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Default Volvo Stalling Fixed by this Dealer

THIS IS WHERE MINE WAS FIXED.

Further to my last post and a request from Scoopin, I can recommend the independent who fixed my Volvo stalling problem.

PS. My car is still working perfectly.

Contact - Tony Carolan
Tel - 01462 683200
email - tony@independentvolvoservices.com

Independent Volvo Services
Unit 6 Black Horse Road
Green Lane
One Industrial Estate
Letchworth Garden City SG6 1HB

Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Many thanks BSABantam. Really appreciated. I am Cambridge based, so this garage will be just perfect! Hope to update the forum with good news soon. Thanks again. S

Old 11-28-2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ciaotutti
Hello! I am new to this forum and am overwhelmed by the amount of info out there! But I need some help desperately!
My wonderful 2004 V70 (I am the second owner- purchased Oct 2007 with 49,500 miles) stalls while I am driving. It happened 2x in October 2008 and I immediately took it to the dealer where they informed me that no error codes showed up in the system. After doing a bit more digging, I found a recall that did not encompass my particular chassis, but did reek havoc on the same make and model car. So, a good faith repair was done to replace the Fuel Pressure Sensor. I drove the car without incident until last week- it happened again.
I must mention that each time it stalled, I was driving about 30mph and braking. When it stalled, it was as though I just stuck the key in the car to start it as all dashboard lights went on - then off. I had no steering or braking function - which was quite scary particularly the last time it occurred as I was in the middle of a turn. I am thankful that there was not a pedestrian in the crosswalk or a car at the intersection as I was unable to steer or stop. I almost hit a parked car.
I brought it to the dealer yesterday and they have done all kinds of diagnostic tests on it and of course have driven it - without incident or error code. So, they say nothing is wrong because they cannot duplicate the problem.
Please advise as I am afraid to drive my car!
Hello there. This happened to me today. I drive a lot in Seattle where there are severe uphill and down hill roads. First, I started off noticing that when I park my car on a street where the left side of the car would be leaning to the left, the gas gauge would drop about a quarter of a tank after sitting there a few seconds to a minute. Once I start driving again normally on straight roads I get that quarter of a tank that was lost back. Sometimes if my gas is low the gas light would come on and then turn off once I start driving and this is how I first noticed the beginnings of this issue. Second, today I was driving uphill and turning left and the car just died on me right in the middle of the turn. I somehow got it into a parking spot and it was completely dead. The car key wouldn't even respond. I thought about calling a tow and I walked away from the car about 10 minutes and came back and it started up quickly and made a strange like gasping revving noise and the check engine light went off (I forgot to mention it had recently turned on) and I drove away. Later that day it happened again while I was making a medium right handed turn this time and died but the lights stayed on this time and I was able to restart it right back up and drove away and made it home making very slow turns. This is new and I wonder what's causing it to happen