Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Programming a Key? (Not a remote)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Programming a Key? (Not a remote)

OK, so I have always only had 1 key which is fine, but my dad is coming to town and he is going to take the car so I want to have a spare.

I'll spare you the details, but unforeseen circumstances caused me not to be able to pick it up until after they would program it. For the time being I am OK with it just unlocking the doors, but eventually I'll have to program it.

Any way to do this without a computer, or should I just go to the dealer? I think there is a recall on the ECM anyway.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer has to cut your key anyways, so might as well have it programmed then and there. It's the ETM that has the recall, but they only fix it once it's failed, so unless you have a light and ETM failure code stored, you're out of luck. At least that's how our two local Volvo dealers do it.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM

mad expensive though... here in CT they want $150 for the "software download" so they can program the key itself, than another $150 for the remote... they said that once to software is downloaded,they can program it to unlimited number of keys and remotes... but still $300 for a set of extas is waaaaay to much.

On a side note, I had a key cut for $22, and it opens the car, but doesn't start it... so, a halfway solution. lol...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the key opens the door so thats all I need it to do for now.... we'll see.

Here's what happened at the dealer:

Me: "Hi - I am not going to be able to make it to my appointment, I'll call later to see if I can re-schedule"
Them: "OK".

A few hrs later:

Me: "Hi, I'm wondering if I would still be able to come in and have my key programmed - I think the guy called it a walk-in and wait service"
Them: Well, not at this hour, come back on Monday
Me: Ok, I'll come around lunch
Them: "well it'll take a while"
Me: "they said it would take 30 minutes"
Them: "Well there's the recall too"
Me: "What Recall"
Them: " There's a recall for the ECM"
Me: "Umm... were you gonna tell me?"
Them: "Well we tell you when you come in"
Me: "So let me get this straight, you booked me for something called a walk-in and wait service appointment and now you are telling me that you were deliberately not telling me that you were going to tack 1.5 hrs onto my wait and you purposely were not going to tell me until I was sitting in your waiting room?"
Them: "Uhh...."
Me: "I'm coming to get the key, I'll just pick it up and get it programmed later"
Them: "uhh, ok"

Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Platinum52
OK, so I have always only had 1 key which is fine, but my dad is coming to town and he is going to take the car so I want to have a spare.

I'll spare you the details, but unforeseen circumstances caused me not to be able to pick it up until after they would program it. For the time being I am OK with it just unlocking the doors, but eventually I'll have to program it.

Any way to do this without a computer, or should I just go to the dealer? I think there is a recall on the ECM anyway.
We just bought a 2004 Volvo S60 that only had the one remote key. I had to take the vehicle to the Volvo Dealer Parts Department to buy a spare key. There I paid for the key (non-remote type), the key cut, and the software. Then I had to take the car to the Service Dept where I gave them the key and receipt and they took my existing remote key and the car to download the software and match the key to the car programmed chip. Bottomline: This spare key cost $112 labor plus the key, key cut, software = $175! If I had bought the remote type key, total would have been over $300 since the the remote also has to be programmed. Well, guess that's the price you pay for the security system on modern cars!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I tried everything 3 times, will take it to a shop

2001 Volvo xc70awd
I made the mistake of disconnecting the battery after a cabin heating\cooling fan continued too run after shut-off, and ran my battery ran down. These are the things I tried after I installed my re-charged battery, after following the manual procedure for installing a battery, and found my car would not even turn over or click. I also got an "Immobilizer check man" message. I checked the manual, and it told me nothing about what to do about the immobilizer after a battery install, it only described the Immobilizer. No help at all. I went on the internet, and tried all of these recommended things:
Locked\unlocked doors 3, 5, 10, 15 times with the key fob
Put the key at position 2 on the switch, locked\unlocked car 5 times with key fob to reprogram anti-theft system to key
Turned key in lock\unlock position 5 times in door lock
Hit the panic button on key fob, unlocked car, tried to start car
Unhooked battery again for ten minutes, then re-connected with positive cable first, then negative, tried to start the car
Not one of these things helped, after trying everything 3 times. The only thing I haven't tried is running around the car in circles while chanting voodoo prayers, since I don't know any voodoo.
I have read comments on the internet by people that were quoted 500 bucks by Volvo dealers to reprogram the key, simply because they disconnected the battery. This is just plain evil of Volvo to do this to their customers. I didn't bother calling the local dealer, I called a shop that has a good rep for fixing Volvos. They said they could fix it for 25 dollars, unless they have to download a program for the key, and then it might cost 96 dollars. I am hopeful this will solve the problem.
Cliff

Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I found something that worked for me

Well, a few hours after my first post I finally found a method to disarm the immobilizer on my 2001 Volvo v70xc. I called a shop that had worked on my 850 before, and they told me over the phone what to do (try getting this information from a dealer). I had re-installed the charged battery, and didn't get so much as a click, even though my dash lights lit up brightly, as well as my dome lights. What they told me to do was to disconnect the negative cable only, leaving the positive cable connected. Then leave it that way for at least 10 minutes. Then re-connect the negative cable, and quickly use your key fob to lock\unlock the doors, 5 locks, 5 unlocks, within ten seconds. Then get in the car, insert the key in the ignition, and immediately turn the ignition switch all the way over to start the car. I got another immobilizer message in my information panel, but after letting the car run for awhile to make sure the battery was charged, I turned the car off and tried restarting it. It started right up, and the immobilizer message did not appear again. It worked for me.

The following users liked this post:
bbuzzard (02-24-2020)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM

It's not easy to program key and i don't think that will be easy for any locksmith also to do.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM

do you think it would work for my 05 s60