Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

99 V70 XC Removing rear wheel hub from spindle hub bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 V70 XC Removing rear wheel hub from spindle hub bearing

I need to remove the rear left wheel hub from the bearing housing on a '99 V70 XC. From what I found in VADIS you have to remove the entire spindle hub bearing assembly, and then press the hub out from the backside. It shows a special counterhold (9995340) that supports the bearing housing so you can press out the hub with a brass drift (9995088). The use of the special counterhold is because the dust shield can't be removed with the hub still on (the dust shield is a a full disk, with an ID smaller than the hub flange).

I have access to a press at work, but I can't think of a great way to hold the bearing housing. Attached are pictures of the front and back of the spindle hub bearing assembly.

This whole project started out with what I thought would be a simple brake shoe replacement so the car would pass PA inspection. However, after removing the brake shoes on the left side, I found that they had partially worn through the dust plate. Unfortunately the dust plate is structurally necessary, as the brake shoe brackets bolt to it, and it supports the back of the brake shoes. I tried to remove the hub with the spindle hub bearing assembly still on the car, but was not able to get the hub out, and damaged the wheel bearing in the process. I ended up taking the entire assembly off the car, and now have to press the hub out, and then the wheel bearing, so I can replace the bearing and dust shield. All of this just to replace the e-brake shoes.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Link to images of spindle hub bearing assembly:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2nhc0mjcw...87a?n=12787332

Thanks,
Alex

'99 V70 XC
'98 S70 T5

Old 12-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Default Image of counterhold

Here is an image of the special Volvo counterhold tool used to rest the bearing housing/dust plate on. In the image, part of the dust shield is cut away so you can see the hub.

Also attached are images of the spindle hub bearing assembly, in case you had trouble with the link.

Thanks again,
Alex

Attached Thumbnails 99 V70 XC Removing rear wheel hub from spindle hub bearing-hub-press.jpg   99 V70 XC Removing rear wheel hub from spindle hub bearing-rear-lh-hub-spindle-1-.jpg   99 V70 XC Removing rear wheel hub from spindle hub bearing-rear-lh-hub-spindle-2-.jpg  
Old 12-12-2014, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Why not just see what the dealer will charge to swap the parts? It can't be that much, you did the majority of the labor for the job.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:36 AM

I was finally able to find a spindle hub bearing assembly on ebay for $50. I was first concerned with a crackling sound it makes when you turn the hub, (like grit was in the bearing) but it is getting better as I clean it up with PB Blaster. I think the sound is actually from dirt/rust between the outside of the bearing and inside of the housing, so that should flush out.

Assuming the bearing is good, I plan on just using that whole unit, and not bothering with trying to press out the hub on the original. Hopefully all goes as planned, since the closest Volvo dealer is a good hour and a half drive from here.

Thanks,
Alex