Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

R springs swap to non-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R springs swap to non-R

A local debate/conversation brewing that needs a wider audience.

I have a P2 V70 AWD and I am looking to lower the stance height to something more reasonable but I don't want to drop it real low with lowering springs. A friend has a set of R springs that he thinks will work to lower to the R height but my Indie is not sure if the shorter springs will work with my longer struts, or more specifically isn't totally sure if the strut length between an R and a non-R are the same.

I'd like to know with a reasonable degree of certainty if this will work before paying the labour only to find out it doesn't. It's not that I don't trust, I just would like to hear some other experienced opionions.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many different variations for suspensions on these cars and so many springs according to the PRODUCT PLATE code. You would have to try it out, sorry.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Try this

Hello, Since your question is about strut height and travel between 2 trim levels all you're doing is comparing 2 struts. Go to as many parts sites as you can and look up the part number for the "R" and the "other" strut. Keeping in mind that there are parts places which will sell you anything, you'll soon see the pattern of application. How far you go to get your hands on these struts to compare side-by-side is up to you. Heck, for the cost and effort of shipping you can order both types and return one after you see. A little work, yes. A bother, no. Call or e-mail the site sponsors and see if they've gotten any feedback as part of their generous return policies. As usual, skip the dirt cheapest parts sellers. A dealer might even know enough to help you (what a concept!). I think SVTfocus03 is right but I don't think you'll hit any misfit at all. Get back to us when you learn someting. Kira