Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

dayrunners vs parking lights vs low beams

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dayrunners vs parking lights vs low beams

Hi all, new member here. I tried serarching for this but was not able to come up with anything - if it has been discussed in the past, please post a link to the thread.

I have a (Canadian) '98 V70 T5 and the headlight switch does not seem to do anything other than turn on the interior lights when I have it set to "low beam". There is no discernable difference in headlight output between the three settings. Is this normal?

Also (and somewhat related), my headlight output kind of sucks. I've been thinking of switching over to a HID kit, but I don't know much about them other than they range from just over $100 to well over $600. I can't really tell the difference based on the specs as a $120 6000k light kit outputs 3200 Lumens just as the $660 6000k light kit. What does the extra $ buy when going from an "entry level" kit to an "intermediate" to and "advanced"?

For reference, I've been looking at the following websites: http://www.hidoutlet.ca/ and http://sharphid.com/

Thanks,

Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: dayrunners vs parking lights vs low beams

I start out with if you want to buy an HID kit buy it from SharpHID. John will take good care of you and his kits are very nice.

I have the Apexcone 35w 6000k system and love it. I have the lifetime warranty.

4000k-5,000k produces the most LUMENS and or light output. The higher you go the less light output you get and the only difference is a color change.

-------------------------------------------
This image will have to do...

Of course we are looking at the big dial in this picture.

1. Where it is positioned now it is running Daytime Running Lights (DRL's).

2. The second positon is considered running lights or like parking lights.

3. Straight up is LOW beams. There is no difference between DRL's and LOW beams. The difference is that in the DRL position when you trigger the HIGH beams as soon as you let go they turn off. However when you have it in the LOW beams position when you trigger the HIGH beams they stay on.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I wasn't sure if my switch was defective or if that was just the way it was supposed to be. But if the high beam switch and the dash lights are the only reason for a low beam switch position (which I suppose makes some sense), what is the purpose of the parking lights position?

I emailed John at SharpHID and he was very helpful, telling me that in addition to the HID kit I can get projector headlights for my model year from eurosport tuning, and that he also sells e-code headlight lenses for my model year (a MUCH less expensive option). How significant would the difference be between:

Just the HID Kit
The HID kit and the e-code lenses
The HID kit and projection lamp enclosures

Thanks,

Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The best setup would be HID's and Projectors. Like what I have. Also you can purchase the projectors on Ebay for less then what EST sells them for.

However with E-codes and regular lenses they will still work fine, look fine.

E-codes = European spec lenses with a different cutoff pattern (Beam Pattern). Same with the projectors which are an ECE beam pattern.