Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Dealer throttle module or XModeX ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer throttle module or XModeX ?

our Throttle Module was replaced by the dealer 4 years ago. this week we'll have to have the car towed to a dealer or to a local non-dealer.

The non-dealer said he would use the xMODEx to replace. Do you advise going to a non-Volvo dealer for this replacement

Doesn't Volvo parts have an upgraded module now that fixes the past issues?

Doug

Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by osage
our Throttle Module was replaced by the dealer 4 years ago. this week we'll have to have the car towed to a dealer or to a local non-dealer.

The non-dealer said he would use the xMODEx to replace. Do you advise going to a non-Volvo dealer for this replacement

Doug
XeMODeX is the route I am going when replacement is needed. Besides being less money than the newer Volvo replacement it has different replacement components. This is probably the best thread for your follow up questions. Your car, your decision to make.
http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6716&pp=10

Old 03-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Default Thanks Mike

appreciate your input Doug

Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default +1 on XeMODeX

Hello, Read all you can about it. I did and found only one guy who had problems. As I recall the company worked with him. The XeMODeX unit doesn't have parts which touch. It uses a Hall effect pick-up not a mylar tape potentiometer. Good luck and tell us what you do. Kira

Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Default XeModex: 99 Vovlo

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira
Hello, Read all you can about it. I did and found only one guy who had problems. As I recall the company worked with him. The XeMODeX unit doesn't have parts which touch. It uses a Hall effect pick-up not a mylar tape potentiometer. Good luck and tell us what you do. Kira
We've only had our car back one day. Install was not a big problem; unit was hard to get to at the manifold.

I'll post later.

Doug

Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Doug
Volvo has a 10year 200k warrenty. But xMODEx is screwing the public. Yes Hall effect is nice but the contact product worked for many miles and even so the hall effect shouldn't cost sooooo much. I'm going to work on a more cost effective solution and will post here how to DIY. I just need to find a none working ETM to pull apart.

Last edited by Bobec; 04-05-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 PM

We went with xModex 300 miles ago. Today, the ETS came on and a 'no start' for a few minutes. Started finally. Taking back to our independent mechanic (non-Volvo). We don't fault him. Thinking we'll now have it towed to Volvo dealer (132 miles) and go with their replacement until we can sell or trade in. XModex has lifetime warranty, so will ask for money back at least on the part.

Doug

Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We went with xModex 300 miles ago. Today, the ETS came on and a 'no start' for a few minutes. Started finally. Taking back to our independent mechanic (non-Volvo). We don't fault him. Thinking we'll now have it towed to Volvo dealer (132 miles) and go with their replacement until we can sell or trade in. XModex has lifetime warranty, so will ask for money back at least on the part.

Doug
So your going back to the SUPPOSEDLY upgraded Volvo unit, which you have stated only lasted ~4 years. Top it off, that was your second one. Maybe lucky number three will last till you dump it.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mkc70
So your going back to the SUPPOSEDLY upgraded Volvo unit, which you have stated only lasted ~4 years. Top it off, that was your second one. Maybe lucky number three will last till you dump it.
The local mechanic paid for the towing and he's trying to re-create the no-start. Hasn't happened. The diagnostics say no failure codes anywhere. Bet is the problem lies outside any software (?)

He did mention a pattern of fuel relays failing in this model(?); he's not going to start replacing items 'just because'.