Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

DIY ABS module repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY ABS module repair

So my speedo and odo stopped working, abs and trac lights on,98 V70 T5. I found this post http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...+module+repair
so I figured why not give it a shot. Got the abs module off and apart, and there was the single bad pin that needed to be resoldered. All my problems from a little pin on a circuitboard... I resoldered the pin, usedsiliconeto cover the parts of the circuit board where I had scraped the protective layer off, and put the unit backtogether, using rtv to hold the housing pieces together. After it dried, Ireinstalled the unit, using new bolts from my local hardware store (the torx heads are a PAIN), and took the car for a spin. Two days later, it's still working great. Hope this helps!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DIY ABS module repair

Don't you just love it when a plan goes together and you now have the dollars left to buy a Christmas present?

r.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great information, I have studied electronics, but give up on those modules figuring they are full of black tar.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Yeah it was definitely exciting when this actually worked and I didn't have to spend the $115 to have it rebuilt or the $300 to get a new one!!! Still working great....

Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Default ABS unit cold solder on pins

I just bought a 2001 V70 XC with about 110,000 miles. 3 days after I picked it up, the ABS light and the Break light came on. This would cause the trip meter to go "---.-" and the odometer stopped advancing. Also the cruise control stopped working. The problem would go away, and then come back. When the problem went away the trip meter, odometer and cruise control would function just fine.

I read about the bad solder joints and I figured I would take a chance and see what I could find on mine.

Removed air cleaner unit, and removed 2 bolts on the fuse box just to loosen it. Removed the 2 wiring connectors to the ABS unit (had to loosen the fuse box to lift the retaining lever for the multi conductor connector to the ABS unit). I had trouble finding an E5 torx socket, but I tried Harbor Freight and picked up a set of them for $8.00.

The ABS unit came right out and I used a utility knife and screwdrivers to get the cover off. There was no potting compound inside the case. The circuit board was readily available. I looked at the pins where the multi conductor came thru and I found 2 of them with cracks in the solder around the pin and the circuit board (used a magnifying glass to look closely). I re-soldered those pins back to the circuit board. I used RTV to seal the cover back on. I pushed Q-Tips back thru the bolt holes to clean out the RTV that got inside them. I reinstalled the unit and took it for a nice long test drive.

So far, it is working perfectly!! I'm so glad I found this forum. It helped me repair this problem. In total, I spent $8.00 on the Torx socket set. I had a soldering iron, flux, solder and RTV already. Total time on the repair was 3 hours. I took my time and worked carefully.

Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Cool but just a little FYI I also fix all the other connections while I am in there.
It would be all the connections to the right of the 2 for the pump motor.

Hopefully soon I can take a pic and post it.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks to all for information on cold solder joints on ABS modules. I had intermittent ABS on 2001 VW Cabrio. I did not take the module apart to repair or remove the module from the vehicle. I disconnected the input connector to the module, exposing the power and signal pins. I used a 30W soldering iron and applied heat to each pin for approximately one (1) minute.

The ABS has been working perfectly for one (1) week.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Question

Is the abs module like that one pictured in the thread posted above in the 96 850 in a similar location and similar module type in an 04 v70? or v70R

Mike

Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The 04's are in the same location but they are a different module.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Ive found out that these new units are a bit more advanced electronically and have microprocessors or something like that in them that have memory that require software flashing on them to operate?? ir something like that haha

are these newer units usually replaced with new or have you heard of rebuilding/repairs of these?

The job for the 2010 and older unit seems very easy but i dint think its the same for the newer one.

its funny that this is gone in my car for a month now and started acting up last may, I'm lucky i don't use the car much as I have been too busy at work, but in a couple weeks its going to be a daily driver again!!! Times a runnin out for me haha.

Mike

Last edited by rspi; 03-15-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Default How do you do with a Ate controller 9401542

Originally Posted by mrpyromaniac
So my speedo and odo stopped working, abs and trac lights on,98 V70 T5. I found this post http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...+module+repair
so I figured why not give it a shot. Got the abs module off and apart, and there was the single bad pin that needed to be resoldered. All my problems from a little pin on a circuitboard... I resoldered the pin, usedsiliconeto cover the parts of the circuit board where I had scraped the protective layer off, and put the unit backtogether, using rtv to hold the housing pieces together. After it dried, Ireinstalled the unit, using new bolts from my local hardware store (the torx heads are a PAIN), and took the car for a spin. Two days later, it's still working great. Hope this helps!!!
Very usefull your explanation indeed.
I´ve got serious issues with my cluster no rpm, no speedo, no temperature gauge working and forum people say it could be the ABS module.
Mines the one made in Philippines 9401542. I drive a 850 T5R USA Model 1995.
How do you open it up for repair ?
Best Regards

Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 PM

What is this about "potting compound?" Also, before pulling one from a donor car, make sure of corrects PN (i.e. ABS/TRACS. They're different modules....

Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Default Abs module

I thought that I had a bad abs module this summer on my 2002 v70. Dash light and no cruise. My dealer was happy to sell me a new unit for better than $1000. Installation was easy after buying a set of torx sockets. Another $85 for programming. problem solved for 5 minutes. back to the dealer who diagnosed a a bad sensor in the front wheel. Another $300 gone but the problem fixed.
I now have a perfectly good used ABS unit for a 02 v70.
Now the same symptoms are showing up on my 96. Today I will take it off and attempt a repair. Wish me luck.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread- but just wanted to add my $.02. I did this and it worked.

Previously I did not have speedo, the in dash computers for mpg, or the digital trip meter. I had not tried cruise, but I imagine it did not work as well.

Anyways, opening this thing up is a BEAR. Do not be afraid to get messy with it, and you WILL end up turning the plastic to hacked meat. Also be sure to pop off all four of the little retaining clips around where you took the inverse torx out. I didn't catch that at first, but it could have saved some major head ache.

Also use a toothpick to clear ALL of the conformal coating around the pins you want to repair. This is important.

Anyways, now my Speedo works, as well as the other in dash stuff, so good luck to anyone wanting to try this.

Alex

Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 PM

OHHHHHHH MMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYY GOD THIS IS ME ..I HAVE FOUD THE GRAIL...LOL
THIS PLACE IS THE SH*t