Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Drive Shaft rebuild, anyone done one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shaft rebuild, anyone done one?

I have a 98' AWD with a bad drive shaft, it is the front joint. I have decided to order the replacement joint from the dealer, looking for someone who has done it before who can give some tips or if they know there is a write up somewhere. I searched and did not find anything. It is the 95mm version if that helps at all.Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Drive Shaft rebuild, anyone done one?

I have never done one or known of anyone doing it.

There is a company in Cali that is supposedly doing it but everyone I have ever seen from there had problems.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Can you post a picture of the joint? I have done a few different types, but don't have AWD so I don't know what type of joint yours has.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM

See if this works. Here is a picture of the rebuild kit.

Alright I cannot get the picture in the post, here is a link to what it is.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/103

Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 AM

I went to FCP Groton to look for it, I can not say that type looks like others I have done.

Having said that, FWIW, I would begin by removing the outter bolts holding it to the flange. It looks like once you drop the shaft you will find a dust cap held in place by the externally expanding spring (works like an internal circlip). To remove it, just pry the end out with a small screw driver. Once yo uhave the cap off you will see a nut on the inside. It will more then likely been peened into a grove in the shaft. This nut is what retains the joint onto the splines of the shaft.

I would recommend you have access to an air impact wrench to remove this nut, since it will be tough to hold the shaft firmly enough to remove the nut.... I would NOT recommend putting the shaft in a vice since it is likely hollow and even a small dent will put it out of balance.

Once you have the nut off a few taps should remove the joint from the shaft. You should be able to replace the parts in the reverse order that you removed them, if you can not find a torque spec for the nut then post the diameter of the shaft and I will look for a SAE spec of the nut by size.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm buying the rebuilt axles off eBay and having someone do it for me. For my 01, they run about $110 to $120. My CV boots are in bad shape so I started looking at rebuilt axles.

For your model V70, you can find the entire axle, driver and pass. on there. Many people suggest it's better to just replace the entire axle with a rebuilt one then try to buy parts for it because it ends up being less time and less expensive.

That's just what I hear though.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM

I believe he is talking about the drive shaft to the rear, not the CV axles. I know they call the CV axles 'drive shafts' in the UK so I could be wrong, but the joint he posted is not for a front axle.

FWIW, FCP Groton has the CV axles for $75 each. I read that they had some quality problems with these axles in the past, but I just installed a set... I will keep everyone posted as to my findings.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM

I thought about that as well. I'm interested to see how yours work. I'll be buying some in the next couple of months so I'd like to know how they work out for you. There doesn't seem to be a big difference between the 98-00 and 01-08 front axles.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM

I will make sure to post my results after I get the car back on the road.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM

That would be great. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the response. This is for the drive shaft that connects the front transmission to the rear differential. The part should be here this afternoon of they can make it thrrough the 3 feet of snow that fell last night.

I do have air tools so that will help. I am fairly mechanically minded so I should be OK. I was hoping someone else had done this but it soinds like no. I will post how it went tomorrow or tonight.

I actually am working on a new shaft that uses more standard joints but it is taking to long for the math on how it will spin at speed with added weight and how the central bearing will hold up to that. With the snow I just could not wait anymore.

Thanks for all the replies and help.