Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

How do I remove the drip molding / install roof rails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the drip molding / install roof rails?

Need some help...
I've purchased a set of roof rails / euro rails to install on our 04 V70, and while I understand the basics about installing these, I have some questions... What is the best way to pop off the drip molding so that it can be cut? I don't want to break the clips underneath. Does anyone know what the part number or what these clips are called if I want to order some replacements?
Does anyone have instructions on how to mount the roof rails exactly? I've searched these forums and only came up with some vague information. The install .pdf seems to be missing from the Volvo download site and the local dealers here are such a pain to deal with....
any help would be appreciated, thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Default RE: How do I remove the drip molding / install roof rails?

I have a complete instruction set. Will able able to scan then and e-mail them to you Tuesday.
I purchased a new set to add to my 04 V70 this past July. They came with new plastic clips for every location. I believe the instruction sheet had the part number for the clips.
Removing and re-install is fairly straight forward. I am sure most people could do the second set in under an hour. I tend to be slow on a first time procedure.
To remove the existing: Start at the base of the windshield, grab the plastice moulding with fingers, and twist it out of the clips.
The instructions will accurately describe how and where to cut the moulding to fit back into place with the new rails.

Dennis

Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Where did you get your roof rails? I'm hoping to get a set but to order them from volvo is pretty spendy versus a Yakima or Thule kit.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 AM

thanks so much for the instructions, that would be a huge help.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 AM

I got my rails from erievolvo via ebay, they had several used sets for sale, at various prices...

Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM

I got my rails from Erivolvo as well. Iam pretty sure they are off a wrecked car. Great rails, rock solid.

I paid the local volvo dealer less than $75.00 to cut the trim and install the rails. In hindsight I could have done the work on my own but if I screwed up just one of the trim pieces it would have ended up costing me significantly more.

I also purchased a brake booster from Erivolvo for minimal dollars, no issues so far.

Brent

Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks, I'll have to check them out. Installation sounds fairy simple, I'll have to check VADIS for some pictures.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:19 PM

All V70s/850 estates (station wagons) have roof rails in Europe and there are are plenty around in breaker/salvage yards.
I'm guessing that the shipping costs would be expensive? But if anyone is interested, I can look into it..

Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Default How do I remove the drip molding / install roof rails?

We bought some roof rails from erievolvo and are running into the same problems as brooklynv70. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Where can these instructions be obtained? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Default rails V70 II

Originally Posted by woodkayakr
I have a complete instruction set. Will able able to scan then and e-mail them to you Tuesday.
I purchased a new set to add to my 04 V70 this past July. They came with new plastic clips for every location. I believe the instruction sheet had the part number for the clips.
Removing and re-install is fairly straight forward. I am sure most people could do the second set in under an hour. I tend to be slow on a first time procedure.
To remove the existing: Start at the base of the windshield, grab the plastice moulding with fingers, and twist it out of the clips.
The instructions will accurately describe how and where to cut the moulding to fit back into place with the new rails.

Dennis
hello, Denis
I would be very pleased if you would send the instructions to me too.
It's possible?
MY email is: gianni.nardoia(at)email.it
thank you. bye. Gianni.

Last edited by g.nardo; 02-08-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Default roof rails instructions

I have them in a pdf only for the 2001-2007 v70. They are not difficult.

Some unsolicited pointers:

1. Do the passenger side first. That way if you screw up you won't likely notice it on that side and you will learn before you do the drivers side. The aluminum moldings can bend easily, although that won't be a problem if you take your time. The first side will take an hour and half, the other side fifteen minutes.
  2. Remover the molding starting from the rear of the car and you won't damage any clips. The clips next to the windshield are the most difficult to work with. If you are patient you can do the whole job without ever removing the last section and disturbing the clips on the windshield. I laid blankets on the car and cut the moldings with a hack saw blade at each mounting point. I never removed the front section or disturbed the clips.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Default Here is link for install directions

CT_V70 kindly posted the directions on a share site he uses.

Please download the file from here:

http://www.box.net/shared/c20duosyf1

Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Thank you all so much for providing the installation instructions! You've made my life easier!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Hi,
i have installed myself the roof rails on my V50. If you guys need any help just ask, i have the clips part number and i know the complete procedure.
Regards,

Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 AM

Is it possible to get a copy of the roof rail instalation? I have a 98' v70
Thanks harstinevolvo

Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Default Roof Rail Instructions for 2000-2007 v70

I have them scanned. Email me at hovonogila@gmail.com and I will send them to you. Easiest way to do this, is do the passenger side first. That way you won't see the boo-boo's that no else will ever notice. I remove the molding from the back and leave the clips at the windscreen intact. They are the trickiest to install. I laid a blanket on top of the car, under the molding, and put tape on the molding paint surface in case the hacksaw jumped. These parts are extruded aluminum and if you twice or bend them they will damage. Be gentle and patient. The first side will take you an hour-and-a-half and the second side fifteen minutes.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Question Trim moulding part number?

I have a silver v70. I just installed used rails on my car last night. Due to some user error... I need to replace at least the passenger drip rail as we cut it at the wrong location for one of the brackets. Does anyone know the part number for the mouldings?