Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

ETS & Check Engine Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETS & Check Engine Lights

1999 Volvo V70 - 72,500 miles
Check engine light came on, OBD requested Front Oxygen Sensor be replaced, I had the volvo garage that i deal with do it.
Check engine light came on again, OBD requested Cat Converter be replaced, Volvo garage recommeded volvo dealer do it (under warrenty), At Volvo dealer Check engine only indicated that Rear Oxygen Sensor be replaced, Dealer wouldnt do the Cat Coverter because they stated that the OBD wasn't requesting it. Replaced Rear Oxygen Sensor.
Check engine light came on again as soon as i left volvo dealer (less than a mile). Returned to dealer, and herein lies my question, the volvo dealer service shop pulled the ECM's in an effort to clear all memory issues relating to the OBD, check engine light was giving mixed messages they stated, i was present and witnessed this, mechanic stated he thought the pins on the ECM were fused due to overheating. Is it common practice to remove these electronic command modules, or is the dealer trying to stall in an effort to get the vehicle over the 80,000 mile mark and out of warranty.
Now the ETS is on, and the car is stuttering and stalling.
This appears to be a serious computer based electronics problem, the ECM sends different OBD messages, with little or no knowledge support by the volvo community. Has anyone experienced these issues, and can a low battery cause this level of ECM failure.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: ETS & Check Engine Lights

I've been working on these cars for 5 years now and your problems with your car are about the norm for the car.The first codes you spoke of you are supposed to replace front and rear o2 sensors and instal updated plugs to the sensors.The part about the cat converter is usualy a sub code that if the o2 sensors are not replaced it will cause cat converter damage.And as far as the ETS light and stalling you will need a new throttle body which is normal for the 99-02 Volvo's.You will need to have it replaced and have Volvo install software into the car.You might want to have Volvo do it just to save on the hastle.If not you can have your shop install and pay to have it towed to the dealer to have them install the software and then drive it out.Hopefully this helped you some.

Also forgot to add that the computer adaptives need to be reset after the o2 sensors are replaced or the light could come back on within a mile..

Old 10-06-2004, 08:50 PM

Thank you to the Tech that replied, I've been doing research for 24 hrs now, i have a spare 91 volvo 245 that the wife can drive in the meantime. Whats a throttle body? Everything i have read, speaks to 2 different components, which may be one described in different terms, the ETS which is a sensor system i believe, and the ETM which is the actual Throttle module.

You completely avoided the issue of why did the Volvo mechanic at the dealer remove the 2 ECM's from the engine compartment and then reseat them. Is this standard procedure?

And why would a set of electronic components so vital to the engine performance be failing in such a sequential manner, one at a time right after the 70,000 mark. And why aren't they covered under warranty.

I believe this is an inherent problem with the volvo that needs tto be addressed.

PS its 24 hrs later and the ETS light has not come back on. I believe the ECM's are fried and Volvo doesn't want to pay to replace them.

I wonder if you're a Vovlo Tech?

Old 10-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

They may have removed the ecm and the tcm to reset the adaptives i was telling you about on the last post.With the o2 sensors they were found to be contaminating them selves because air flows through the wires and dirt and oil was getting in the wiring.Causing them to go bad.The throttle body is what opens when you hit the gas pedal to let air into the engine.ETS stands for eletronic throttle system.Also the ets light might not be on now but the fault is still there.

Old 10-06-2004, 11:34 PM

If by resetting the adaptives, you mean clearing the memory, or flushing an error code that is sitting resident on the ECM, i understand that, although as i watched the tech at the dealership attempt to do that though the software on the Vardis terminal, it appeared he was successful in clearing the error codes each time, but then a new error code would pop up, including one which lead him to determine that he couldn't comunicate with the transmission, this is why i question the quality of the ECM's. I question why such a drastic process, such as unseating a computer module would be required to flush an error code.

the ETS error is probably still there, i understand that, but i am beginning to lose faith in the dealers understanding of the electronics which run this car. I will try to have my garage which is operated by a certified volvo master mechanic clean the ETS and Throttle body, before opting to replace the ETS/ETM parts (somewhere around 1000.00 quoted by the dealer) and then have my garage mechanic reset the OBD, and wait and see what the next error message will be.

in the meantime there is still no explanation as to why the sequential failure of electronic parts are occuring within a 4-5 yr old car. And you rational that the o2 sensors they were found to be contaminating them selves because air flows through the wires and dirt and oil was getting in the wiring. Causing them to go bad. Makes absolutely no F%*&%* sense, they are high tensil strengh wiring, designed to sit atop the catalytic converter and not be bothered by heat and air flow, the connections are are quite literally sealed. Still none of this answers why in a sequential step by step process the following electronic components are failing.

O2 forward
O2 rear
catalytic converter (which the dealer refused to replace because he couldn't reproduce the error code)
ETS/ETM (throttle systems and modules)
And finally the resetting of the ECM's to clear adaptives, on a computer system that continues to fail.

What does it take to get the attention of someone at Volvo who has the ability to call a dealer and say FIX THE PROBLEM, TRY TO SATISFY NOT F%^&* THE CUSTOMER.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Administrator

I am sorry that you dont believe me about the o2 sensors but i've see it on paper from volvo and seen the problem first hand the contamination my self.I cant speak for the tech at the dealership on why he did what he did but i dont agree with alot of what he did.To further answer your quiestion about reseting the adaptives basicaly when the ecm losses power for more than 10 min. it resets to factory defaults.When you have a problem with something from the emissions system all of the adaptions are wacked out trying to keep everything close to what it is supposed to be to not put out to much pollution into the air and once you fix the problem if you dont reset the adaptives it takes a long time to do it by it self and seeing the readings off will set the light again.
If your ecm or tcm was fried the car would not run or move.And as far as the electronics starting to fail 4 to 5 years old is just electronics.Sorry to say but i've seen more problems than you are having happen to cars just out of warranty.If thats all you have had happen to your car with that milage on it you should feel lucky.
I will try to get a copy of the o2 sensor stuff and send to you so you can see it for your self.I dont think you have any problems with your cat converter the code just meant that if it was like that for a long time it would cause damage to it.Following is the info from Volvo.

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC
Rockleigh, New Jersey
Service Bulletin
Cars
S70/V70 -2000/C70
1999-2002
Section Group No. Year Month
2 25 0033 02 09
Page 1( 3 )
Vehicles involved: B52X4 Turbo
Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), replacing
Background
To prevent contamination from affecting the reference air for the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) new
routing has been developed for the sensor wiring. The following diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) could
be stored in the engine control module (ECM) due to harness contamination: 280A, 260A, 261A, 262A,
2A1A. Should no faults be detected for these DTCsafter fault tracing according to VADIS, replace the
effected heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) and install adaptor wiring harness.The new adaptor wiring
harness must also be installed for the remaining sensor.
Affected cars
Model designation Factory Chassis number
C 70 Coupé J 008500-032619
C 70 Convertible J 011000-031945
S 70 1+2 565000-673878
V 70 –2000 1+2 540000-739765
Material
Description Quantity P/N
Adapter kit (rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S)
and 2 adapter cables)
1 30650206
Front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 1 See the VADIS
replacement parts
catalogue for the relevant
chassis number.
Service personnel: Please circulate, read and initial
Service Parts Workshop Workshop Service Technicians
Manager Manager Manager Foreman
US Printed in USA on recycled paper. © VOLVO CARS OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
"Fixed Right -- First Time"
S70/V70 -2000/C70 -2-25-0033 Page 2
Catalytic converters and emissions equipment
Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), replacing
A2800389
The connectors for the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S)
are located on the transmission.
Preparations
A3702801
Switch off the ignition.
Remove the air cleaner (ACL) housing.
Detach the inlet hose between the air cleaner (ACL) and
the turbocharger (TC) from the turbocharger (TC).
Open the catches and disconnect both front and rear
connectors for the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S).
Heated oxygen sensors (HO2S), removing
Replacing the front and rear heated oxygen sensors
(HO2S), see VADIS:
Reparation and installation,
Function group 25
Replacing components,
Heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) replacing.
Date S70/V70 -2000/C70 Page
0209 1999-2002 2-25--0033 3( 3 )
Installing the front sensor adapter wiring
A3702800
Install:
– the adapter wiring between the existing 4-pin
connectors
– a tie strap as illustrated.
Note! Ensure that the ends of the adapter wiring
protective sheath point downwards so that water does
not gather in the protective sheath.
Installing the rear sensor adaptor wiring
D3703075
Install the adapter wiring between the existing 6-pin
connectors.
Note! Ensure that the ends of the adapter wiring
protective sheath point downwards so that water does
not gather in the protective sheath.
Install:
– the inlet hose between the air cleaner (ACL) and
turbocharger (TC) on the turbocharger (TC
– the air cleaner (ACL) housing.
WARRANTY STATEMENT: Claims may be submitted under the New Car Warranty when there is a documented customer
complaint, using claim type 01.
Operation No. Labor description Time allowance
25934-2 Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) adjusting/replacing 0.7 hr
US

Old 04-07-2006, 07:07 PM

Tech,
My mechanic is not a volvo mechanic. Can I trust him to change the oxigen sensors, or should I take it to the dealer. He tells me over the phone that he can do it. Is the proceduce difficult to do? Thanks, for your advice.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it's pretty easy. I did it myself and I'm not a mechanic by any means. It's pretty much taking out a bolt and putting in a new bolt, but you need a special socket, which they let you borrow at AutoZone, that goes around the wire.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: JimKW

No it's pretty easy. I did it myself and I'm not a mechanic by any means. It's pretty much taking out a bolt and putting in a new bolt, but you need a special socket, which they let you borrow at AutoZone, that goes around the wire.
AGREED

Old 04-13-2006, 05:53 PM

If I have my mechanic change the Oxigen Sensors do I need to take the car to the dealer and have them reset anything? Will the light (emmission service required) go away?

Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Administrator

If he has an OBDII scanner it should read it and clear it.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 AM

My ETS is dying a slow death, and I was thinking of buying a used ETS for my 99 v70 from a lower mileage car, presumably with less wear to the film in the module. The question I have is does the software update get stored in the ECU (I had the update done a few years ago) or is it stored in the ETS unit? If I install the used unit will I lose the update? I am considering this because I'm not willing to drop a grand on the car at this point, because I'd like to keep the car for only a year or two, and a grand is approaching a down payment on a newer used car. I have to do emissions in the summer, and its not gonna work with this light on. P.S. how hard is it to swap the ETS ? It doesn't look too bad.
Thanks,
Dan

Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 AM

Hello? (cue crickets) Anyone? Hellooooooo?

HaHa!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Well first of all you cannot install a used one. It is programmed to the car and once programmed to a car it cannot be programmed to another car.

Second if you are in the U.S. and there is codes set in the computer it will be covered under a 10 year 200,000 miles warranty.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks Tech. I appreciate the tip. I will check with the dealer and see what they say.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be in this problem. Who would have thought about this.