Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Idle surge at stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle surge at stop

Wondering if anyone out there can give me an idea as to what may cause the idle on my 2001 V70 2.4T to surge when coming to a stop. It seems only to happen when the A/C is on. When braking, just before the car stops the rpm's just jump up to about 2k which causes the car to surge and must be resisted with an extra effort on the brake pedal. Also, noticed with the trans. in 'Park' and the A/C on, every time the compressor engages the rpm's surge and then quickly drop to below idle and then recover to proper idle speed.

Any ideas?

-Sean

Old 11-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Well... I guess I'll answer my own question(just in case others out there may experience the same). Took the V70 to technician today and said that the problem was with the ETM. Said he could update the software(for $100+) and this may fix the issue. After this fix I was informed that the 2001 V70 had a recall on the ETM and that I could go to the local Volvo dealer and have them test/update software or replace the ETM for free(kinda disgruntled that this info came AFTER I paid $100 for the software update - but whatever, which by the way did improve the issue somewhat).
So I promptly called the dealer. Dealer confirmed the symptoms sounded like ETM, so I gave them my VIN to check if recall applied to my car - said they would call back, but never did.
So, I drove to the dealer and explained situation and they courteously stated they would take care of it, but that it may take 'a long time' to fix - I assured them that I didn't mind waiting. 15 minutes later I was informed that the recall/warranty on the ETM was only good for 10yrs/200,000mi and that my car went 'into service' on Oct 28, 2000 and therefore was not eligible for the free replacement as the warranty had run out 4 days ago! Called Volvo of NA and they courteously stated that if it had run out 1 day ago there was nothing they could do!
All this to say - it is the ETM. Going to try to clean it and hope this fixes. If not I'll probably grudgingly replace the ETM just to sell the car.

This experience, combined with the host of other parts that have either failed or fallen off(literally) has convinced me that this will be the last Volvo purchase I make.
My previous V90 was a solid, dependable car - the V70, a great disappointment.

Note: Dealer just called me back at 5:50 pm to give me the above news.

Last edited by roosterize; 11-02-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Note: 2001 V70 OWNERS, IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD THE ETM RECALL IMPLEMENTED AND YOU'RE UNDER 200K MILES AND ARE HAVING ANY THROTTLE ISSUES AT ALL - GET TO THE DEALER ASAP, YOUR TIME IS RUNNING OUT.

Last edited by roosterize; 11-02-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Two things

Hello, 1) Sorry to hear about the strictly enforced deadline story. There's a company called XeMODeX which will rebuild your ETM such that it never goes bad again (they tell us). Do a search and read about them.
2) Could you please list the "host of other parts" which went bad on your car? Include the mileage when you bought it and mention how long you've had this car.
Thanks, Kira

Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks GeorgeandKira
I'll check out the XeMODex.
We bought the car with 79k miles early in '09, (right after our V90 was totaled. My wife was turning right into a driveway when a Tahoe/Suburban plowed into her from the rear at 50 mph which drove her forward into a 30" dia. oak tree. She walked away without a scratch). The V70 now has 135k miles on it. Most of the failed parts have been interior and not too critical, but to have all of the following in a little over a year causes me to question the overall quality of the car and makes me very nervous about keeping it.

The following is what we have noticed:
-Left side spring seat failed
-Right side strut bearing failed
-metal 'brace' on sunroof fell off, couple months later the other 'brace' fell off
-intermittent sunroof operation
-intermittent right side hdlight wiper operation
-intermittent rear wiper operation
-FF button on cd fell off
-Pass. side A pillar cover fell off
-left side rear speaker blown
-rear view mirror failed - there is an air bubble floating towards the top of the mirror I've been told that this mirror costs $800-$900 to replace
-throttle issues(surging, erratic rpm)
-shifting harsh at times and slight delay in reverse(I'm told that this may likely be related to the ETM issue)

I love the way the car looks and drives - but I'm always afraid of whats going to break or fall off next!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Update: Last Thurs. I removed the ETM, cleaned it thoroughly and reinstalled. Now running and shifting better than it has in close to a year! It actually is driving like new. Well worth the effort. Now maybe I can sell it - anyone looking for an '01 V70?