Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

MAF sensor and other problems

Old 10-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensor and other problems

I am a newcomer to this forum but not a newcomer to owning Volvos, I am now on my 5th. I just bought a 98 V70 AWD Turbo 2.4 L w/142k the car sat idle for quite awhile the guy stopped driving it and bought a Subaru(that must have been a let down).Thefirst thing that I had done was the Timing Belt, then I started driving it regularly and notice a vibration between the front seats , bad driveshaft removed it last week and now it is nice and quiet. The car had a check engine light on when I bought when I got it home I ran the fault code and got a PO442 Evap. Ems.Sys Det. Small Leak any ideas where the leak might be? I cleared the code several times just keeps returning.
The other day while driving to work thecar started to act like it was running out of gas, sputteringthen running ok then sputtering again and when I pulled into park it stalled completely but restarted and the check engine light came on. It started at the end of the day and drove home w/ out any incident but the ck eng light was still on. I ran the fault code and got the same PO442 and and a new one PO102 Mass orVolume Air Flow Circuit Low Imput. I cleared the code and drove it to work but theck eng light came right back w/in a few miles, does this mean that the Air Mass Meter is bad? The previous owner said it was replaced but it could havecome from a salvage yard.
The other thing that was done to theengine was replace allthe parts to the oil trap, but there was very little build up of oil suldge in the trap or where the hoses entered the block and head. There was a lot of oil on the top of the head but that was coming from the oil cap, replaced the gasket no more oil on the top, but I'm still getting a strong burnt oil odor when stopped at a light. When the car was on the lift to remove the driveshaft the was alot of oil on the bottom of the engine. It is not leaking enough to cause a spot on the pavement but enough to blow back to the CAT and burn off. Any ideas?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: MAF sensor and other problems

1.The evap leak could range from a bad Evap valve to a bad hose in the system. I made a special tool to add pressure to the system to test for leaks.

2.The mass flow could be bad or a big vacuum leak.

3.Make sure the turbo return line o-ring isn't bad causing the oil leak.