Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Pics of an xModeX ETM

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of an xModeX ETM

Does anyone have a pic or two of an xmodex rebuilt ETM?

I tore into mine (volvo OEM 108K) today.

Pics of an xModeX ETM-100_1090.jpg

especially the black plastic parts that are really not meant to be removed.

Pics of an xModeX ETM-100_1101.jpg
Pics of an xModeX ETM-100_1099.jpg

I'm seeing a totally different issue and it doesn't have to do with the throttle position sensors, they were totally fine. Yes I cleaned them but they worked fine before I cleaned them.

Thanks

Last edited by Bobec; 04-24-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What?

Hello, I saw pictures of black plastic things you weren't supposed to touch and a picture of your hands. Was there a Xemodex unit there to see? Was the Xemodex unit supposed to cure your ills? Kira

Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 AM

What?

"I tore into mine (volvo OEM 108K) today" says OEM with 108K on it. Don't know how to make it any clearer.

It was not an Xemodex but I'm very curious about how theirs look after all of the modifications they claim to be doing because I really don't think they are doing what they say they are. After taking mine apart that is.

These are difficult to take apart, not that it can't be done, but where are they putting the electronics that go with a contactless throttle position sensor? and how are they powering these electronics. It's not trivial, the circuit board inside this unit uses silicon dies not packaged IC's.

There are two throttle position sensors in the ETM and I can't help but think that if one goes bad the ETM sends the ECM an error code. Are people seeing an error code? not from what I've been reading. They get stranded on the side of the road with a total failure. My TPS potentiometers both worked with out flaw smooth sweep of resistance with no blind spots.

To me this points directly to the throttle servo driver, there's only one, it fails or goes into protection mode by shutting the driver down and you're finished. Initailly I thought I could get to the driver and change a transistor or two but no, they too are silicon dies. IMO the way the throttle driver fails or gets overloaded is dirt and gunk on the throttle plate and shaft, too much of a moment to turn, to much load on the servo driver and shut down.

If I keep the throttle body, plate, shaft and throat clean it will last. IMO the plate has to rotate freely with only the resistance of the spring, no dirt.

Last edited by Bobec; 04-26-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Default xemodex pictures

Several pictures near end of page. Side by side picture of end cap with mod vs. original.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...&view=previous

Additional pictures
http://www.xemodex.com/xemodex_013.htm

Last edited by FirstV70Volvo; 04-28-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added another link to more pictures
Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 AM

Thanks FirstV70Volvo

My advise to anyone having a problem with their ETM (01 and later)....remove it and clean it, or have it cleaned "very well". This guy does a pretty good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zaxtm-hdyo

Make sure your battery is not old and the DC bus voltage is up where it should be. The permanent magnet DC servo motor in the ETM's performance will be affected by low DC supply voltage. I saw one guy in a video who had just replaced his ETM and said "well I decided to replace the 6 year old battery too", he probably could have save the cost of the ETM if he just replaced the battery and cleaned the ETM.

My throttle position sensor wipers looked much different than the one shown here. Magneti-Marelli obviously made changes when they discovered the problem.

http://www.ip-wizards.ch/volvo/VEXED...arelli-ETM.pdf

My wipers had very fine, more delicate and many more finger tips (I wish I had taken a magnified pic but I think you can see the difference) and there was no sign of this being a failure mode. If you have an earlier ETM this might very well be the failure mode. Mine is an early in 01 manufactured V70. And as I mentioned above there are two of them that have to fail.

Pics of an xModeX ETM-100_1088.jpg

Why? IMO the servo motor (permanent magnet brushless DC) can, when the throttle body is gummed up and/or the DC bus voltage is not sufficient, not produce enough torque to turn the throttle plate. I was impressed by how big the air gap between the stator winding and the permanent magnet rotor is for a servo operating at 12vdc. IMO this thing is no power house and just can't handle an overload condition. Keep it clean and the voltage to it up and it will work like it has for the first 100k.

Last edited by Bobec; 04-29-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Bobec do you have any pics of this , or can explain where it is on vehicle, mine is a 2000 v70 xc wagon...turbo...my VIDA is down right now I'm a good mechanic but this is my 1st volvo...so I'm just learning all this. Thanks
PETE

Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM

Pete,

Look at your ECU problem post