Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Steering Rack identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack identification

Just a note on identifying the steering rack installed on these cars.

According to FCP Groton's site there were 2 designs of steering racks fitted to the V-70.

I learned that I had the SMI rack, but had a bit of trouble in getting the right part so I thought I would share my experience.

The FCP Groton site says;
To determine the rack, you will need to locate the product ID plate which is under the hood by the drivers side wheel well. You are going to look at the 5th line on the bottom right and you are looking for the last digit. If it is a 4, you have the TRW rack and these are the correct tie rods. If it is marked with a 5, then you have the SMI rack and you need part number 9191410.

My car's Product ID plate had 4 lines of numbers. One line ended in a 5, but was not marked product ID so I called FCP Groton to confirm the PN of the inner tie rod end and boots I needed. The tech was helpful, but unable to tell me which of the numbers was the product ID. He helpfully offered to call their local Volvo dealer to try to decode the VIN to get the rack. He said the dealer told him I needed the 'longer' boots. I ordered them, and they are shorter then what is on my car. Adding to the confusion, the SMI boots are pictured shorter on the FCP site....

Nick at FCP is sending me the boots I need. While dropping the transmission fluid I noticed 'SMI" clearly visable on the bottom on the steering rack.

So;

CAM/TRW: (shorter boots, product ID code of "4")

SMI: Longer boots, smaller on the ends (taper down) Product code ends in a "5" and SMI visible on thvisiblevisiblevisiblee underside of the rack as viewed from under the car.

Hope this helps someone else.

FWIW, you might want to consider the steering rack boots part of the front suspension re-build. The OEM ones are a hard plastic, and the rack showed signs that while they were not broken they had allowed moisture into the the rack and the grease out.