Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

timing belt replacement

Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt replacement

Is there a write up how to replace the timing belt for an 2004 volvo v70. There are so many write ups for the 850, but none for the newer vehicles. The tensioner is different.
I have a friend who is a mechanic who is going to help me replace it but has never worked on a volvo.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

This is about the best I can do now I really need to get a car at home to do the belt on and make a write up.
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic60326.htm

Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Default T Belt Replacement

Here is what I used when I did mine (2001), hopefully it will work for you. Issues I had were getting the crank pulley nut off and retorquing it. Off was easy for me as I have air impact tools. I fudged a system to retorque. You might research the "rope trick" to hold things during torque. I didn't trust this and didn't use it, so no endorsement from me, but have heard a lot of positive comments. This will be up to you.

I just tried to up load the PDF file I had, but it is too large. If you can figure how to contact me I'll send it, or if you choose to post your e-mail I'll send it direct. It is a 365 Mb size file. It would be nice to post, but unless they change the rules.........

Jerry

Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by checksix
Here is what I used when I did mine (2001), hopefully it will work for you. Issues I had were getting the crank pulley nut off and retorquing it. Off was easy for me as I have air impact tools. I fudged a system to retorque. You might research the "rope trick" to hold things during torque. I didn't trust this and didn't use it, so no endorsement from me, but have heard a lot of positive comments. This will be up to you.

I just tried to up load the PDF file I had, but it is too large. If you can figure how to contact me I'll send it, or if you choose to post your e-mail I'll send it direct. It is a 365 Mb size file. It would be nice to post, but unless they change the rules.........

Jerry
Try uploading it to a photo site and post it from there.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 PM

None of the write up's or Volvo instructions on installing a timing belt mention anything about Torque specs for the crank pulley nut. Any reason for that?
I'd just reinstalled it with a impact wrench.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

That's what I always do. There is a spec somewhere but you have to remove the starter and install a special tool to torque it properly.Or get the other special tool that bolts to the front of the pulley. The center nut spec is 180 NM.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Try uploading it to a photo site and post it from there.
Sorry I am just an old fart and not that internet savy nor do I wish to create yet one more account out there I will not use frequently.

Jerry

Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 AM

Or hows about not taking the crank pulley off. The slight effort increase getting the belt passed the pulley is still MUCH better than battling getting the pulley off.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by rules
Or hows about not taking the crank pulley off. The slight effort increase getting the belt passed the pulley is still MUCH better than battling getting the pulley off.

That's what I'm gonna do next week when I do my belt. If it turns out to be too tight a fit then I'll go to the trouble of removing the pulley.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Did the Timing belt, Tensioner & pulley along with the water pump last night.
Remarkably the car runs!
Took me 3 hours in all. The belt was not too bad for 103K but the tensioner's bearing was a bit rough when you spin it free hand. Threw on a new T'Stat too.
Realized when I took the wheel off that the car now needs a inner CV boot & brake pads.
The "to do" list continues to get longer!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Booey
Did the Timing belt, Tensioner & pulley along with the water pump last night.
Remarkably the car runs!
Took me 3 hours in all. The belt was not too bad for 103K but the tensioner's bearing was a bit rough when you spin it free hand. Threw on a new T'Stat too.
Realized when I took the wheel off that the car now needs a inner CV boot & brake pads.
The "to do" list continues to get longer!
Were you able to do the job without removing the crank pulley?

Old 05-29-2009, 03:47 PM

No. It was too tight. I ended up removing the crank pulley. Glad I did as it is way way easier with the pulley off.
I got the puller from Harbour Freight Tools.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Default Do you have to replace water pump with TB?

I have a '01 V70 T5, and its due for a new timing belt. When I asked a mechanic about it he told me that the water pump should be replaced too. Is this absolutely needed?
- Oh, and by the way, they quoted the job at $650. Am I the only one that thinks that is a little steep?

Last edited by DasRah; 06-05-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: wanted to add
Old 06-05-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by DasRah
I have a '01 V70 T5, and its due for a new timing belt. When I asked a mechanic about it he told me that the water pump should be replaced too. Is this absolutely needed?
- Oh, and by the way, they quoted the job at $650. Am I the only one that thinks that is a little steep?

I was quoted $849 by an Independent Volvo Shop. So $650 is a deal!
I paid $45 for the water pump from FCP Groton. It's only 3 bolts to change it. You are right there anyway so it's really no extra work other than unbolting it.
You would hate to do the Timing belt & 5,000 miles later find out that the W/P is now leaking. You'll have to basically do all the timing belt work all over again as the T/B drives the W/P. My advise is just spring for the $45 & replace it & you'll have one less thing to worry about. I even went one step further & installed a new Thermostat in the engine. The parts such as W/P T/B & the 2 pulleys ended up costing me about $260 from FCP.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Exclamation

I appreciate the response and, yeah, that is what I figured. Im going to go ahead and just buy the WP and have another shop install it at the same time. The shop that quoted me $650, wont install "brought in parts", but I have another place to go.

So that was my easy question, I have bigger problems I could use some input on. I had the transmission on my '01 V70 T5 replaced, or rather, rebuilt. On the recommendation of a co-worker, I took it to AAMCO Transmission. Long story short-$3,000 later and the transmission is NOT fixed! It was still shifting hard, slipping, etc. AAMCO said that it was the "learning" tranny breaking itself in. After two weeks driving an unhappy car, I went to a local Volvo shop (I know! I know! Its where i should have gone in the first place!) and told them the situation. The mechanic asked me if AAMCO had updated the TCU. No, they didnt, and they werent going to because my warranty company( who footed the $3000 bill) quote: "Didn't pay me to do that." So I went and had it done, hoping that it would solve the issues and then i would never have to go back to that AAmco again. It didnt fix it. This is the short version of the whole fiasco.

So here is my hard question: Is it possible, that even after a rebuild and an update, that the transmission is just going to be this way? It shifts hard, slips, revs and late shifts, and is just NOT Right!

Am I the only one that has run into transmission issues like this? Im just not quite sure what step to take next, because i would rather not pay to have the tranny fixed again.

Thanks-
Lara '01 V70 T5

Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 AM

Aloha, I am repairing my 1999 XC70 AWD 2.4T, i burned an exhaust valve. I am now wondering about the cam gear mark on the rear/exhaust cam. It is much smaller than the intake cam gear mark. It also has a mark on the backside of the gear, but not on the intake gear. I spoke to a volvo mechanic on Big Island today and he suggested I line up the rear cam slots in plane to the cam cover to head line, one fat side up and the other fat side down. This is not the correct alignment. I bought and downloaded the Mitchell manual procedure and the photo is terrible, and ambiguous. Can someone speak to the marks on the cam gear and their correct orientation before we install the timing belt, when the Crank is lined up to front cover mark, (TDC). Thanks, I need the help.