Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

TPMS sensors in pre-TPMS wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS sensors in pre-TPMS wheels

I bought a used set of Volvo V70 Metis alloy wheels and had a local tire store install new Altimax M&S tires and TPMS sensors. I then took the wheels and tires directly to the Volvo dealer and asked them to install them on the (new to me) 2007 V70 that was being delivered to me next week. Volvo called an hour later and said all four wheels were leaking air around the valves. They said the wheels are just a year or two before TPMS, adding that the same wheels now come machined around the valve hole for TPMS sensors. The new tires pinch the seals of the sensors, causing the leaks. I told them to pull the sensors and install plain valves until I get it sorted out.

- Can pre-TPMS wheels be machined at reasonable cost to accept the sensors?
- Are aftermarket sensors that fit the older V70 wheels available, and work with the OEM TPMS system? (The aftermarket sensors installed by the tire place do not fit properly.)
- Is there an alternative workaround for the OEM TPMS system and pre-TPMS wheels?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Fred

Last edited by FredRydr; 01-28-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Any response to your question? I'm running into the same issue, trying to get TPMS sensors to work on Columbia wheels. My indy mechanic put the sensors on the inside of the rim, with a zip-tie holding, but they broke. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:08 AM

On investigating whether it made sense to machine the older wheels, I learned it was more economical to sell the pre-TPMS wheels wheels and buy used TPMS wheels and after-market sensors. At that time, there were no after-market sensors to fit the inside of the old-style wheels that would communicate with the Volvo TPMS system, but availability may have changed.

Fred

Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Default Universal TPMS

Thanks for your reply. It took some investigation, but there are universal TPMS sensors that "look" for the frequency in the car, then lock onto it. My mechanic has used them before.

He solved the issue of mounting in wheels not compatible with TPMS sensors by mounting them with a strap, that is like a giant hose clamp. These are made by Schrader and Dorman for around $20 each.

You probably don't need this information, but others might find it helpful.

Now I've got Columba wheels & Blizzak snows on my wife's C30 with TPMS sensors working as they should. They should get her down Vermont roads safely this winter.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My indie Volvo garage mounted my blizzaks and Orange TPMS (look like the Dorman units) on Regulus wheels (off an older s80) no issues, for my 07 xc70.

Last edited by albertj; 11-13-2016 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Typos