Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change

Ok, I own a 2000 V70XC Turbo AWD and today I decided to try the official volvo method of changing the ATF by removing the return that connects to the tranny. As soon as I started, I ran into a problem. I could not unscrew the hose that connects to the tranny (the one under the battery tray). I think it's stuck on there for good.. So, I decided to drain the ATF from the cooler by removing the bottom hose connection(the return to the tranny). However, trying to find a clear hose(to see the bubbles) to fit the cooler was nearly impossible. Since the oil flows OUT of the tranny from the bottom connection, you have to use a much wider hose than 1/2". After 3 trips to Lowes, I finally used a 1" clear hose and used a wire tie to cinch the hose to the cooler. After it was all said and done, I had about 3 quarts of ATF on my driveway!!
Since you remove the bottom hose, you will spill oil.
Since the hose is 1" wide and ATF needs to move upward over the front of the car, you will have about 1/2 quart in the hose that also ends up on the driveway when you need to disconnect the hose.
I do not recommend to anyone removing the bottom cooler connection as it's a very messy process. Has anyone changed the ATF using the official volvo method or by disconnecting the return to the tranny? I don't think i'll every try this again.

I would like to use the other method of changing the ATF by removing the TOP connection or the output of the tranny. Everyone has recommended this way, and I can see that it would be MUCH, MUCH easier and cleaner. My only concern the the amount of ATF in the cooler. Does anyone know how many quarts of ATF are in the cooler? When I drained the tranny through the drain plug, I drained out 4 quarts of ATF. Since the v70xc only holds a total of 8 quarts, where are the other 4 quarts? I am assuming the other 4 quarts are in the ATF cooler.
If the other 4 quarts of ATF are in the cooler, then this means that the easy way of flushing the ATF will only flush 50% of the ATF. If this it true, then I will just take it to the mechanic and have him flush the ATF with a machine. At least this way, 100% of the fluid will be flushed.

Another thought would be to drain the ATF through the drain plug. Reattach the drain plug(loose). Fill the tranny again with the exact amout you drained. Start the car for a few minutes. Shut the car off and drain again by removing the drain plug....repeating this process until the ATF you drain is clean. It seems as though this method would drain the old ATF 100%. I like this method alot. Does anyone see a problem with this method??????

Sorry for the long post but it's been a very long frustrating day. I needed to vent. ANY and ALL comments would be greatly appreciated, even if you want to poke fun of me!!

Old 12-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fluid Change

Preparations
A4300082
Warning! The oil may be very hot if the car has just
been driven. Avoid skin contact.
Remove
– the battery and battery shelf
– the return hose on the control system (valve body)
cover.
Install
– a plastic plug in the connection on the cover
– a transparent plastic hose on the oil return hose connection
Position a container for the oil with markings for the volume
under the hose.
Temporarily reinstall the battery shelf and the battery.
Flushing the gearbox
Apply the parking brake. Move the gear selector lever to
position P.
Start the engine. Allow the engine to idle.
Switch the engine off when 2 quarts off oil have been
pumped out or when air bubbles become visible in the
hose.
Top up with 2 quarts of oil.
Repeat this 7 times.
Note! 16 litres ATF in total.
Start the engine again. Allow the engine to idle.
Check the color of the oil. When the color of the oil is
clear red (as new oil), switch off the motor.
Connect the return hose to the control system(valve
body) cover.
Checking and adjusting the oil level

Is this the method you used?The trick to getting the hose off is once you have the nut loose you have to move the hose back and forth.The end on the metal hose is coned shapped so once it is tightened it slides in and fits tight.Also to answer your other quiestion the other 4 quarts of fluid are in the torque converter.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:53 AM

Yes, those are the steps that I followed. All except 1. It's impossible to remove the hose connection to the valve body so I had to remove the hose connection to the cooler. Do you have any tips to removing the stubborn valve body connection?

Old 12-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Yes it is a pain because it is wedged in there the end of the hose os cone shaped.You kinda have to wiggle it around and pull at the same time.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:39 PM

But I still have to unscrew it right? Or does that valve connection just pull out?
It's the unscrewing part that I had problems with.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Oh ok I didn't know that is what you were having the problem with.Some times the battery leaks into that area and rusts it pretty good.You might have to buy a crows foot socket to get it loose.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:41 PM

Wow you are good. It seems as though that is exactly what happend. I got this car 3 weeks ago, and the entire section under the battery seems to have been corroded and rusted by a battery leak. I had to clean up all the white acid looking stuff all over the place.
The car is in the shop right now. I'll talk to my mechanic and see if he can replace that hose for me.

Thanks!!

Old 12-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Administrator

No problem any time.Depending on what you used to clean it.You might want to reclean everything with baking soda and water to neutralize the acid.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:06 PM

By the way, how much oil do you think is in the cooler?

What did you think of my other method of changing the ATF by removing the drain plug repeatedly?

Old 12-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Administrator

The cooler doesn't hold all that much fluid itself the torque converter holds like 3 to 4 quarts.The way you are changing the fluid will work after a couple of times the fluid will be clean.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:20 PM

When you check the level of the ATF fluid, does the car need to be running?
Thanks, Ian

Old 01-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Yes the car needs to be running to get the proper reading of fluid

Old 11-08-2008, 05:21 PM

Ok, few questions on the same car like AustinPower, 2000 v70 xc with 105k. Car shifts funny between 55-65mph, I hear loud thump in the back. I have checked tranny fluid, it's ok as far as level but very dark and it smells like it's burned. Can this thump be caused by bad fluid or my problem is something else?
Also, if I decide to do tranny flush that I read about on this forum, can I just use regular ATF or it requires special kind of fluid and where should I get it?
What about lucas tranny treatment, would that do any good?

Old 11-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Beensearching forumabout atf fluids that our cars use, I am even more confused now. Whatt tranny is in 2000 v70XC, GM or AW? Should I order mobil 3309 online or can I just buy something else at autozone?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:04 PM

My owner's manual just gives the Volvo PN. I have a 2001 V70 T5a, and used the Mobile 3309.

Jerry
01 V70 T5a

Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles do you guys have?