Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo V70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Default Universal O2 sensor

Hello all,
I purchased two Bosch universal O2 sensors, and I need a little help with the wiring. On the OEM sensors the wire color codes are blue, white and two blacks. On the universal there are gray, black and two whites. Any ideas on which wires on the unversals match the OEM.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Okay. Maybe someone could tell me which wires from the Volvo O2 go to the signal, ground, and heater. Two blacks go to the heater, blue is the signal, and white ground?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator
1995 Volvo 850
My Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to rspi

Check around in the 850 section. However, everyone, EVERYONE says stay away from universal sensors. Only go OEM. I usually get them from the junk yard. Most people that had Volvo's had the dealer service them all the time. Most Volvo's are driven by women. So, there are lots of newer O2 sensors in junk yards. I have had success with 2 of them on my 850. $25 each.
Volvo Repair Videos - Used Parts For Sale - Interior Lights For Sale - ABS Light? Click Here - Men's Mentoring
--------------------------------------------
Volvo's of time past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, '95 960, '97 960, '98 S90, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R Yellow, '95 960, ,96 850 R...
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 AM

Default Bosch Universal O2 Sensor Wiring and Install

I always search these forums for help, but sometimes it's a dead end. (see above). In any case, I did some other searching and thought I'd share what I found on-line. Here's the link to the Bosch technical resources page at their site which includes O2 sensor install instructions:
Technical Resources

Here's the link for the specific "Bosch Premium Oxygen Sensor with OE SmartLink Connector" document.
http://boschautoparts.com/Technical%...allGDWEB09.pdf

It has a nice wiring diagram that indicates the standard wiring is:
  • White OE Bosch to White Universal Bosch - Heater Wires - should be 2
  • Black OE Bosch to Black Universal Bosch - Signal Wire.
  • Gray OE Bosch to Gray Universal Bosch - Ground Wire.
For your application - it looks like Bosch calls that a "Type B" O2 sensor that's in place. 2 black wires on yours are the heater wires - and connect to the Bosch white wires. Blue is the signal wire and connects to Black on the Bosch universal. That leaves the one white which is your ground wire and connects to the Gray universal ground wire!

I'd be interested to know how the universal sensor is working out for you. OE Bosch sensor from my parts guy is $160, and the Bosch Universal is $60! And Bosch has a one year replacement guarantee...
2003 Honda VFR800
1999 Mazda Miata
2000 Volvo XC70
Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator
1995 Volvo 850
My Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to rspi

Universal... The only thing that I know of that is UNIVERSAL that might work right in a Volvo is a cigarette lighter plug, maybe...
Volvo Repair Videos - Used Parts For Sale - Interior Lights For Sale - ABS Light? Click Here - Men's Mentoring
--------------------------------------------
Volvo's of time past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, '95 960, '97 960, '98 S90, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R Yellow, '95 960, ,96 850 R...
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspi View Post
Universal... The only thing that I know of that is UNIVERSAL that might work right in a Volvo is a cigarette lighter plug, maybe...
in other words, universal O2 sensors that require splicing don't do well on volvos.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 AM

It would at least be tempting to try a Universal Bosch - depending on the warranty details and willingness to mess with the same O2 sensor if there is a problem requiring return/refund. One thing I've noticed is that every universal sensor I've seen in looking around is only for the rear sensor - nothing for the front. So I guess the universe just got cut in half.
2003 Honda VFR800
1999 Mazda Miata
2000 Volvo XC70
Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM

As a dealer and shop owner, I've thrown away countless "universal" sensors and replaced them with a direct fit Denso, Bosch, Walker, etc. unit that solved all of the problems. Anyone who uses the generic wire-in types has lit a match to their money.

I have an idea, let's try and save three cents and then have problems until time itself comes to an end. Stupid.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1963 View Post
As a dealer and shop owner, I've thrown away countless "universal" sensors and replaced them with a direct fit Denso, Bosch, Walker, etc. unit that solved all of the problems. Anyone who uses the generic wire-in types has lit a match to their money.

I have an idea, let's try and save three cents and then have problems until time itself comes to an end. Stupid.
It's obvious that you've got way more experience than most of us, and appreciate the advice on this. I guess for most of us looking for the first time at an O2 sensor from a reputable company like Bosch - you can't help but think about the $100 savings- especially after getting that last check before the layoff. In this case it sounds like we're better off staying purpose built for Volvo.
2003 Honda VFR800
1999 Mazda Miata
2000 Volvo XC70
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM

my local import mechanic with a great reputation syas that the problem with universal O2 sensors is the resistance in the wiring. It is different from the wiring used on OE sensors and throws a monkeywrench into the signals that the computer is trying to read.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Tags
850, black, code, color, colors, gray, o2, oxygen, s40, sensor, sensors, signal, universal, v70, volvo