Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

2014 XC60 tailgate issue w/fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2014 XC60 tailgate issue w/fix

Hello, wanted to share an annoyance that occurred a couple days ago and the very simple fix that may save someone else a trip to the dealership. I pushed the button for the tailgate to close automatically like a hundred times before but it wouldn't close all the way. Instead it would thud against the hook and come back open about a foot. I tried numerous times both manually and automatic but same issue. Not wanting to tear into a fairly new vehicle I decided to bring it to the dealership in case a part needed to be ordered and they fixed it in minutes. The mechanic showed me that if you remove the cover that goes over the door latch, there is a cable that can get stuck in the wrong position. He said if it happens again they will order a new mechanism and it will be covered under warranty. I attached a couple pics to make it very self explanatory. Let me know if anyone has questions and hopefully this helps.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 XC60 tailgate issue w/fix-hatch-w-cover.jpg   2014 XC60 tailgate issue w/fix-hatch-w-out-cover.jpg  
The following 10 users liked this post by chippa8:
Allan1947 (12-30-2023), Arun Mohan (04-17-2020), Ivan Vassilev (10-10-2020), JMPF (10-25-2020), PolarenPer (04-25-2023), rowlingr@gmail.com (12-03-2023), Small (10-05-2020), snowdog999 (02-09-2023), Stuansal (10-05-2020), ytW (10-13-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the heads-up and pics!

Also own a 2014 XC60 but haven';t experienced this issue!
Thanks for the heads-up and the pics which are always a helpful addition

Old 06-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for saving my hols!!

Thanks for posting your finding! I am currently in Spain remote from any dealership. This helps me close my tailgate with luggage

Old 09-07-2016, 12:35 PM

Had my XC60 delivered today.

Boot issue occurred this evening and in a panic as on holiday very soon.

Your tipped solved the problem.

I owe you a beer.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:40 AM

Thank you very much chippa8 for posting this issue. I had the same problem with my 2012 V70. It was fixed in a few minutes!!

Old 04-17-2017, 10:35 AM

My liftgate must have a mind of it's own. It used to do this (the original issue above), but it stopped. Now, when I open my liftgate (using either my remote key fob or by pushing the button on the exterior of the liftgate), the LG will go all the way up, but then come down probably by a foot. I've bumped my head a couple of times. When this happens, I try to liftgate up manually, but I feel a massive amount of force that goes against me and the trunk still won't lift all of the way. I'm scared that if I exude too much force that I'll break the trunk somehow. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Default It WORKED!

Well it just happened to me and what an easy DIY fix! Thanks for the detailed instructions and pics. I owe you more than a beer!

Old 06-07-2017, 06:54 AM

Hi and greetings from Bulgaria. I have the same problem on my 2009 XC70, but unfortunately the mechanism looks different. Does anybody has experienced the same problem in an"older" Volvo?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-30-2018, 06:29 AM

Thanks for this great info and fix. I followed your instructions and now it works perfectly.I can just keep the $700 that the dealership was going to charge me to replace the two struts. Thank you!

Old 08-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Default Volvo xc 60 tailgate latch won't catch and lock: Simple fix

We own a 2012 volvo xc 60, I think an errant lanyard strap was obstruction the operation of the tailgate latch,
when I cleared the obstruction and again tried to close the tailgate it would not latch and the tailgate would open up to about about 1 foot
it would not latch or close properly.

I looked at all the fuses read my ownes manual from cover to cover, ( discovered some new tidbits about our volvo) hit all the lock unlock options, waited 10 min, drove the car arround the block hoping that it would engage the lock, my next option was to disconnect and reconnect the battery. I found your post before taking that next battery disconect step.

all is good now, thank you so much, for your post. I hope this helps many others

Old 08-24-2018, 07:26 AM
Default It helped us so much

Thank you mate it helped on our 2014 xc 60 and saved the money. We were waiting outside the service garage waiting for mechanic to look after us and found your tip which was brilliant. Sorted it out within one minute. Thank you so much

Old 08-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, another round of beer for you here. I just experienced the same problem with my 2014 XC60 and fixed it based on your info and photos.

The spring inside the latch mechanism is not very strong and the combination of plastic parts makes for poor lubrication, so it tends to stick. The factory grease is clumping, so I cleaned it off and used WD40 and bicycle grease.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Default Thanks a lot. I had the same problem.

Thanks a lot. I had the same problem with my XC70.Fixed it in 30 seconds. Thank you.

=chippa8;399728]Hello, wanted to share an annoyance that occurred a couple days ago and the very simple fix that may save someone else a trip to the dealership. I pushed the button for the tailgate to close automatically like a hundred times before but it wouldn't close all the way. Instead it would thud against the hook and come back open about a foot. I tried numerous times both manually and automatic but same issue. Not wanting to tear into a fairly new vehicle I decided to bring it to the dealership in case a part needed to be ordered and they fixed it in minutes. The mechanic showed me that if you remove the cover that goes over the door latch, there is a cable that can get stuck in the wrong position. He said if it happens again they will order a new mechanism and it will be covered under warranty. I attached a couple pics to make it very self explanatory. Let me know if anyone has questions and hopefully this helps.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-17-2020, 02:59 AM
Thumbs up Volvo XC60

Worked like a charm - thanks Chippa much appreciated avoided a trip to mechanic

Originally Posted by chippa8
Hello, wanted to share an annoyance that occurred a couple days ago and the very simple fix that may save someone else a trip to the dealership. I pushed the button for the tailgate to close automatically like a hundred times before but it wouldn't close all the way. Instead it would thud against the hook and come back open about a foot. I tried numerous times both manually and automatic but same issue. Not wanting to tear into a fairly new vehicle I decided to bring it to the dealership in case a part needed to be ordered and they fixed it in minutes. The mechanic showed me that if you remove the cover that goes over the door latch, there is a cable that can get stuck in the wrong position. He said if it happens again they will order a new mechanism and it will be covered under warranty. I attached a couple pics to make it very self explanatory. Let me know if anyone has questions and hopefully this helps.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger73
My liftgate must have a mind of it's own. It used to do this (the original issue above), but it stopped. Now, when I open my liftgate (using either my remote key fob or by pushing the button on the exterior of the liftgate), the LG will go all the way up, but then come down probably by a foot. I've bumped my head a couple of times. When this happens, I try to liftgate up manually, but I feel a massive amount of force that goes against me and the trunk still won't lift all of the way. I'm scared that if I exude too much force that I'll break the trunk somehow. Has anyone else experienced this?

My 2013 XC60 does the same thing...did you resolve your problem?

Old 09-19-2020, 03:50 PM

My 2013 XC60 has the same problem...did you get your problem resolved and, if so, how?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2020, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solid ... thanks for the tip!

Old 10-10-2020, 07:25 AM
Default Worked! Very helpful!

Thank you very much for the very useful instructions and photos, it took me 2' to fix it. How happened? Tried to load a bike holder on the hatch and it refused to close completely. Probably the load of one bike holder+2 bikes was too heavy and caused the mechanical defence to engage.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by chippa8
Great information. Thank you very much. I sorted out my problem.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:04 PM

I know this is an old thread, but i just wanted to say thanks to chippa8 for doing a great job describing and documenting this issue and fix. Same issue on my occurred with my wife's 2013 XC70 when the tailgate refused to close. We drove home with the tailgate bouncing on the spring frost heaves and after a quick search on the forum, problem solved.

Thanks again. More virtual beers headed your way!

Quick Reply: 2014 XC60 tailgate issue w/fix