Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Leaking front Windshield 2010 XC60

Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am currently have the same issue with my XC60. What did you have to do in order for the dealership to cover that charge?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 PM

Hi,
I am currently going through this problem. It seems to me that this is a huge problem but when I called Volvo Care they described the problem as "maintenance" stating that the owner is responsible for those problems. I have studied the manual and there is nothing that states that checking for leaks is under maintenance. what did the dealer end up doing for you?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintanence vs. warranty

Cami01... The important thing is to be sure they are diagnosing the problem correctly. Regular maintenance can be done toprevent clogged sunroof drains. Opening the sunroof and removing anddebris and flushing the drain holes may be the maintenance they are referringto. However, if it is the windshield leaking, then there is no accuracyto that claim. Be sure they document their findings before you leave thedealership so you can have your mileage referenced at the time of the claim. I have heard from others that they took it into the dealership within themileage limitations where it was misdiagnosed and then after out of warrantyproperly diagnosing the problem. If you continue to have a problem afterthey document their findings and after you have eliminated the sunroof as thesource, then you can state the problem was present while still under warranty.

If you have any questions you may contact me even though wemay not service your area.

Sincerely,

championautoglass.com

Old 07-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Default 2012 XC60 windshield leak - covered by warranty?

Hi,

Just bought a used XC60 last week. Driving home through the rain on Sunday, and our 2012 XC60 has a windshield leak as well on the driver's side near the top of the windshield.

Still under warranty, so we contacted the local dealer and already are getting kind of a bad vibe about this being fixed by them. Over the phone they suggested we call our insurance provider, but it's a bad seal (seems obvious this is a manufacturer defect) and we have an appointment tomorrow for them to look at it.

Anyway, hopefully they'll do the right thing, but just thought I would check in with this forum thread to see if any further advice as we discuss this with our local dealership service department tomorrow.

I did see the post above from championautoglass so we will have them document their findings. Sunroof seems fine, the leak seems confined to the windshield.

Thanks,

Ted

Old 07-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the windshield an original Volvo one? There will be writing on it that says Volvo.
Does it look like an original one right from the factory or does it look like it has recently been replaced?

Did you get the car from a Volvo dealer or another place? Find out if they had it replaced.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
Is the windshield an original Volvo one? There will be writing on it that says Volvo.
Does it look like an original one right from the factory or does it look like it has recently been replaced?

Did you get the car from a Volvo dealer or another place? Find out if they had it replaced.
Hi- thanks for the reply! It's the original windshield- as far as I can tell it's original anyway. It does say Volvo on it. From visual inspection (when not leaking in a rainstorm) it looks perfect.

We bought it used- not from a Volvo dealer (from a local Cadillac dealer who took it as a trade). However, it was sold to the original owner as a new vehicle through our local dealer and was maintained at that same dealer according to our Carfax.

Also- my wife called Volvo direct to ask if it would be covered. They were very helpful and said it should be covered under warranty. They also gave us the service manager's name at our dealer and said if we had any issues to ask for him, so hoping for the best.

I've heard mixed things about our local dealer (as far as service dept goes), so just wanted to make sure in advance of the appointment I have my ducks in a row.

Thanks again!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious. When you (anyone here) bring your XC60 into your dealer, what are their "excuses" for the leaks? Again, please contact Volvo North America and let them know that this is not acceptable. Way too many people are having this problem. Mine's leaking again!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 AM

We just dropped off the XC60 at the dealer. It is covered by warranty- whew! I actually printed out the post from 'The Champ', and brought it to the service advisor to see if he would find it helpful.

He thanked us for the info, and mentioned he has seen this issue before (in a way that led me to believe he'd seen plenty of leaking windshields). Nonetheless, guessing this is a relatively prevalent problem.

Unless I hear something different when we go pick up the car tomorrow morning (he recommended letting the seal bond overnight before we drive it), our experience outside of having the leak in the first place looks like it should work out...

Will let you know if our situation turns out to be anything other than positive, and will pass along any insight that others may find helpful (if I have any).

Thank you all for the assistance, and good info in the previous posts. Thanks also for your patience as this all revived an older thread...

Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Default I'm so tired of a leaking car

It's always leaking. No one knows if it's the windshield or the sunroof but it's always leaking. I'm so tired of it wet floors.

$500 for fixing the sunroof and the windshield has already been "fixed" under warranty. It's been leaking under the steering wheel right at where emergency brake release is located. Has anyone experienced this at this location? What was the outcome? Roof or windshield?

I've contacted Volvo North America and asked that they look at it. Here's hoping....

Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 PM

We purchased a certified 2012 XC-60 RD with 45k miles, after 2 months the windshield started a very small leak inside when it was raining or washed. I called my dealer and they got me right in, said it was probably the sunroof drains. They called my today and said they cleaned the drains but the issue appears to be the windshield. They told me it's covered under my certified warranty. Meanwhile I'll put some miles on the S60 T5 loaner. Kind of an eco turd, but surprisingly comfy. Anyone with a certified warranty should definitely be trying to get it covered at a Dealer.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 XC60 windshield leak

Thanks for your post. My 2010 Volvo is currently at the dealer for windshield replacement due to leak above the driver's side. I returned to my car after heavy rain and snow to find water dripping from the ceiling and a sizable pool of water on the driver's side floor. My car is no longer under warranty, so the dealership is charging me for the replacement of the windshield. I was told that a reseal was not sufficient, therefore, an aftermarket windshield would be ordered and installed since the original broke upon removal which costs $450-$500 plus $250 to install. I will definitely be contacting Volvo North America. I just purchased this vehicle 'as is' from the dealership in July of this year following the donation to charity of my 1999 Mercedes Benz due to extreme rust. I did not expect to go from a rust problem to a new model, high end vehicle with a defective windshield. Although I enjoy my new XC60, I will not endorse nor buy another Volvo if additional defects prove it to be unsafe and unreliable especially in less that 6 months after purchase. The company must compensate customers for failure to secure reliably manufactured vehicles.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Champ
This problem is widespread among several models and years. This is occurring to vehicles that still have their original factory windshield.

To my knowledge, the dealerships are handling the problem and covering it under warranty.

The problem is present due to a primer on the glass that is failing. This black primer is applied in a thin layer to the windshield. The adhesive being used by Volvo, requires this primer promote a proper bond between the glass and the adhesive (polyurethane). However, this primer is separating from the glass.

There are several possibilities as to why this may occur.

1. UV ray deterioration
2. Primer defect
3. Contamination on the glass
4. Shelf life or working time of the primer
5. other unknown

As of yet, no answer has been provided to me by Volvo or the adhesive manufacturer.

The biggest concern Volvo owners should be aware of is not the potential of a water leak. The windshield is a structural component of the vehicle. If the windshield is not bonded to the vehicle properly it will compromise the safety of the occupants in the event of an accident.

The windshield supports the airbags upon deployment, crumple zone function during a collision, and the roof in the event of a rollover.

All Volvo owners should be aware of this concern prior to seeing any water. A professional can check your vehicle to see if the problem is visibly present by applying pressure to the inside of your windshield. If the glass moves away from the adhesive, you most likely have the same defect. Not visibly finding the problem doesn't mean that it won't occur later.

Volvo does not make the windshields for their vehicles. They supply the factory molds to outside companies that make the glass for them. This problem is the new glass that is being supplied, still has the same primer applied to it right out of the box.

I am not aware of nor have I been able to find out by Volvo the shelf life or "working time" of this primer. Most primers that are applied to a surface have to be used within a few hours. These windshields have the primer on them from the manufacturer which may have been on for weeks or even months.

My biggest concern is why wouldn't the same problem reoccur? Therefore, I consider this primer as a contamination present that should be removed prior to being installed.

For those of you who are unsure, it is possible to successfully remove the primer on the windshield and to follow the steps of the adhesive manufacture's procedure on reapplying new primers and adhesive. It is also possible to save and reuse the original windshield.

In many cases, the windshield may break upon removal and need replacement. I recommend that you ask your dealership or installation professional how they are handling the pre-existing primers.

My company has completed approximately 20 of these removals and replacements over the last few months and the numbers are growing.

I'm actually surprised that this is not a recall. They appear to be treating this on a case-by-case basis. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly. I will be glad to explain further and in detail.

703-929-4151
championautoglass.net

Electrical and interior damage may also occur. However, the safety issue is much more important.

As of 02/17/2014 I received new information from the Volvo dealer in our area. If the vehicle falls under the standard warranty of 4 years or 50,000 miles and develops a leak as mentioned in this post, it is covered by Volvo. Since there is no "recall" for this repair, there may not be any other eligible coverage if beyond the standard bumper to bumper warranty that Volvo offers. Some warranties do vary, so please check with your dealership in regards to the warranty that is present on your vehicle.
My 2010 Volvo is currently at the dealer for windshield replacement due to leak above the driver's side. I returned to my car after heavy rain and snow to find water dripping from the ceiling and a sizable pool of water on the driver's side floor. My car is no longer under warranty, so the dealership is charging me for the replacement of the windshield. I was told that a reseal was not sufficient, therefore, an aftermarket windshield would be ordered and installed since the original broke upon removal which costs $450-$500 plus $250 to install. I will definitely be contacting Volvo North America. Please add my info. to your records

Old 12-09-2015, 09:05 AM

Pinky - I'd leave the car sitting there until I have an answer from Volvo North America and I'd push the dealer for a loaner until it's sorted.

This is a problem that has been discussed here and in other forums and is widely known and Volvo should have treated it as a recall. I wish I knew how to push for recall status on things like this.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Default Yes. I have the same problem. It stream

Image the same problem with my 2012 Volvo XC60

Originally Posted by Smoreeng
Anybody have an issue with a leaking front windshield. During the recent rains, I noticed water dripping down the inside of the windshield on the driver side of the car.

I'm taking the car to the dealer but was wondering if it is a common problem or not.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Thanks for your post. Bull**** is right. My car has now been at the Volvo dealership for a week plus, for leak repair. They have taken the windshield out, which is now broken. Now informed me that they are unable to find an aftermarket one, therefore, I must buy a VOLVO windshield with a rain sensor. I've spoken to a windshield repair place that will do the job tomorrow at complete cost of $445 with a Pinkerton windshield which includes sensor. Volvo wants $700 for windshield plus $240 to install. I'm considering driving up there this moment to get my vehicle. This is ridiculous. I think they are playing a game now. They also want me to be responsible for the rental (loaner) cost. I only have a loaner because shop hasn't finished the job!

Old 12-10-2015, 03:25 PM

JB, Thanks for the advice. I'm a new customer of Volvo. In the last week I'm learned more than I care to know concerning problems with their cars. They are no different than the others who'd rather deal with catastrophe than correct a known problem. You may be the catalyst for me to organize a recall/national campaign/ class action suit now. Because this is absolutely ridiculous that this type of component failure is so prevalent and nobody has done a thing about it! I don't have the patience for this nonsense and not going to take it anymore from anyone or establishment. If you woe anyone else is interested such an endeavor, please respond.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Default XC 60 windshield leak

Originally Posted by ES6T
Everyone with that car has had that issue huh? Doubt it, but the internet is full of outrageous claims like that.
Sorry but your doubt just cost me $900 at the dealer and sinky *** carpet, oh and a loaner for over a week!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 AM

Thanks Champ for the info..
Update, Upon my repeated request of "good will warranty" or sharing of the cost of windshield replacement, the dealership service dept. manager offered me a 10% discount on parts and labor. The outrageous part; They agreed to cover the cost of the loaner/rental car that I've driving this week while they repair my car. Should I really have been expected to pay for the loaner in the first place? I've been waiting on them! This normally takes 2 days max to repair. Tomorrow is day 9... I am totally beside myself. I've used the information that you provided, inquired about the sealant on the new Volvo glass they want to install now. I'm not convinced that it's any different that what was taken off my windshield that they broken during removal on Tuesday. Therefore, I decided to have my vehicle towed to Safelite glass in the morning for repairs. I'm not paying Volvo ONE RED CENT...Also, I was told on thursday, that they could not locate a after market windshield, therefore, they would have to order and install a Volvo windshield with rain sensor. Seems odd that 2 local glass repair shops have them and ready to install tomorrow. Is it common practice to remove glass without the replacement piece on site or at least available? Unfortunately I have run out of patience with Volvo. Volvo North America was no help either. I was advised by Cutomer service manger Bret today that I was not the original owner, not within warranty, no service history in my name (but in original owner name per their system), so they had no discretionary reason to help me whatsoever! And, that it is not Volvo's practice to talk to customer's directly, but deal exclusively with the dealer they purchased from..WOW...The documented failure rate means nothing unless a recall or class action suit declares otherwise..Good thing I've got extra time to organize and take on such a task. I'm very grateful for everyones input and documentation. Volvo is going to keep you gainfully in business for a long time..

Old 12-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Default leaking windshield cx60 2012

Yes I had this same problem last year so I know what you are going through. Such a headache. At first my dealer tried to say it's condensation on my first complaint. Then one day it was pouring out and my windshield literally was leaking non stop inside from the windshield. I took pictures and went back straight to Volvo and I printed comments from here and told them this is a common problem that they are hiding. I emailed and spoke to few heads of dealership and finally they changed the entire windshield and sealed it and has been good since then. Yes it should have been a recall! Have your complaint in writing and this forum helped me a lot. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:23 PM

My wife has a 2013 S60 and it leak through the sunroof and then the top of the A pillar onto her left arm. Volvo lost a class action suite about water leaks on a number of models over 3 or 4 model years. Other posts stated it was a problem with the drains which run down the pillars from the roof clogging not the windshield.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking front Windshield 2010 XC60