Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Leaking windshield or sunroof XC60

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaking windshield or sunroof XC60

I just bought my dream 2010 xc60 T6 on Friday. Today, I was sad to find the inside of it soaking wet. It had rained all day and I left it parked outside a work. The roof near the dome lights, passenger seat, passenger floor and gear area were soaked. The dome lights even have water just sitting in them. I'm pretty devastated. I've read this could be a failed seal from the original windshield, a failed seal/drain from the panoramic sunroof, but then I even read a few stories about how the wheel well inside was flooded. Is this a problem all xc60's have? Is it fixable? Should I be worried about more damage? Should I try to return the car? I feel so cheated Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
Blanch Reyna (05-25-2021)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. It happens. I was on a business trip with my 2010 XC60 parked at the airport and came back to a soaked and stinky interior. The dealer says it's the sunroof drains that clog and need to be cleaned out. $500 because they have to remove the entire roof to gain access to the drains. I call BS! I used my brother's compressor and blew it out and it seems to be fine now. But every time it rains hard I am in fear I'll have a puddle in the front.

Also, I had to have my front windshield reset too because it leaked all over my center console. That was under warranty thankfully and seems to be fine now.

Not a nice feeling when you buy a vehicle at this price level.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my 2010 XC60 T6 new, Volvo replaced poorly bonded windshield. My daughter's 2012 XC60 R has not had the problem. The windshield is part of the vehicles rigidity in a collision, so must be correctly bonded.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wrote below guide, hope it helps...

http://www.gunneby.se/xc60/Leaking%2...lvo%20XC60.pdf

Old 12-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XC 60 windshield leak

Originally Posted by Haley425
I just bought my dream 2010 xc60 T6 on Friday. Today, I was sad to find the inside of it soaking wet. It had rained all day and I left it parked outside a work. The roof near the dome lights, passenger seat, passenger floor and gear area were soaked. The dome lights even have water just sitting in them. I'm pretty devastated. I've read this could be a failed seal from the original windshield, a failed seal/drain from the panoramic sunroof, but then I even read a few stories about how the wheel well inside was flooded. Is this a problem all xc60's have? Is it fixable? Should I be worried about more damage? Should I try to return the car? I feel so cheated Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you!
Did you keep the car and repair?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi @pinkybland,

Yes, the dealership I bought it through came through and fixed it for me. I had a leak in the moonroof and the windshield. Everything was resealed and water tested multiple times. They took back the headlining and everything apart and dried it out. I haven't had problems since with leaking or anything else that could have been caused by water damage and it's been a year (knocking on wood). It was very frustrating last year because it took them 6 weeks to figure out the leak and repair.

The following 2 users liked this post by Haley425:
Blanch Reyna (05-25-2021), BoomBoom7321 (09-29-2022)
Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 AM
Default XC 60 windshield leak

[QUOTE=Haley425;423225]Hi @pinkybland,

Yes, the dealership I bought it through came through and fixed it for me. I had a leak in the moonroof and the windshield. Everything was resealed and water tested multiple times. They took back the headlining and everything apart and dried it out. I haven't had problems since with leaking or anything else that could have been caused by water damage and it's been a year (knocking on wood). It was very frustrating last year because it took them 6 weeks to figure out the leak and repair.[/QUOTE

Haley425, So glad your leaks were repaired and at dealer expense. Six weeks was far to long to locate and repair the problem. After waiting 9 days with no progress, I had my vehicle towed from the Volvo dealer to a glass repair shop. Car was not drivable since they had removed the windshield and done nothing else. I pick up my car today from the other company and I think I'll be satisfied with results. Enjoy your dry vehicle and thanks again for the reply.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:17 PM

If the water is dripping from where the rear view mirror attaches to the windshield, how do I know if the problem is the windshield seal or the sun roof mechanism that Martin describes above?

Old 01-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Default XC60 Leak

Water leaked from several places due to sunroof hoses clogged. Water leaked from the rearview mirror area and area near foot pedal and passenger floor mats. Carpet was soaking wet with puddles. Unfortunately my windshield was replaced unnecessarily which did not correct the problem. Once sunroof hoses cleared, no more leaking water. The Volvo repair dept. replaced carpet, lighting assembly, and cleared sunroof drains. The covered the parts and I had to pay for labor. I did have to get legal involved in order for Volvo to take action and absorb some expense.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Exclamation Leaky roof over drivers windshield, sunroof inop,

Originally Posted by JBxc60
Yeah. It happens. I was on a business trip with my 2010 XC60 parked at the airport and came back to a soaked and stinky interior. The dealer says it's the sunroof drains that clog and need to be cleaned out. $500 because they have to remove the entire roof to gain access to the drains. I call BS! I used my brother's compressor and blew it out and it seems to be fine now. But every time it rains hard I am in fear I'll have a puddle in the front.

Also, I had to have my front windshield reset too because it leaked all over my center console. That was under warranty thankfully and seems to be fine now.

Not a nice feeling when you buy a vehicle at this price level.
I have a similar issue with my 2012 XC60 where whenever it rains I get a torrent coming into the cabin right at the upper left headliner where it meets the windshield, I love this car but I cannot tolerate this! I seem to remember a black plastic piece in the sunroof about 8 inches long that came out and I did not see where this piece came from. The last time I tried to open the sunroof, I couldn't. I believe all the fuses in the cabin under the glove compartment are good, are there any relays or fuses that I missed? Is there a way to open the sunroof manually?

Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 xc 60 I bought new and the windshield has started leaking in the top left corner. I was shocked that this would happen on what seems to be a quality vehicle. After reading some posts on this forum it seems that it’s not unheard of .
To make a long story short I have contacted Volvo of North America customer service and they advised me to make an appointment with my local Volvo dealer and to let them know when my appointment is in order to follow up with them.
I’m hoping that the issue gets resolved without costs to me. It seems that this is a manufacturing problem either with the windshield itself or the installation. My appointment is October 24 at Volvo of North Houston, I will follow up on this forum when it’s over.
If anyone else had or has similar problem please post it.
Thanks

Old 09-08-2020, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Martin198
I just wrote below guide, hope it helps...

http://www.gunneby.se/xc60/Leaking%2...lvo%20XC60.pdf

Your doc doesn’t seem to be available anymore. Can you re-post?

Old 09-08-2020, 08:27 AM

Hi Haley,
Comment to Volvo that with the intense rains we sometimes have in Texas that this became a safety issue because I was simply unable to see to drive when the rain came in on the drivers side obscuring my view of the road....even when the wipers were on high! Please let us know what Volvo's resolution to this issue is, and whether they would institute a safety recall for this.
Thom Hanes

Old 09-10-2020, 07:26 AM

Sadly enough, we had massive rain over the past two days. My appointment with the Volvo service shop isn’t until next week. For those that had the repair done - did you do anything about the carpet and underlying insulation? I’m especially concerned about the insulation growing mold which would spread.