Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

XC60 2015.5 Internet Map

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC60 2015.5 Internet Map

Hi,
I got this new 2015.5 Sensus interface on my XC60. In the car user manual, it says that I should have something called "Internet map", available while the car is connected to Internet via its 3G modem, bluetooth or wi-fi. This is supposed to be an online system only, even on models without the Navigation option, which I did not order as I am living in the Toronto, ON area and I am big fan of Google Maps on iPhone due to best traffic info for the area.
Well, the issue is that when trying to Nav button on the dash, it says that I do not have navigation installed.
I wonder if anyone got this working, what was the solution, what kind of traffic info it has (source, if known) and their review.

Other than that, got the Climate and TEch packages, I like the features a lot, although it has some SW quirks (sometime entertainment is slow to start if previously left on Internet radio, and during this time the engine start button is not always responsive, the side mirrors do not unfold automatically when driving, which is a serious bug from Volvo SW engineers).

Thank you
Tudor

Old 03-12-2015, 05:48 AM

Hi Tudopatroi. I am in Kitchener and just picked up my 2015.5 XC60 T6 P+. I am coming from an S60 and I am still very impressed with the tech upgrades. I do have an issue, almost a week now and they can still not set-up my On Call, they keep saying the site to do it is down on Volvo's side. So, I cannot make any comment on the internet based navigation but it is supposed to include traffic. Not sure who it is powered by...?

Old 03-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Default Any updates?

Originally Posted by OnMedic
Hi Tudopatroi. I am in Kitchener and just picked up my 2015.5 XC60 T6 P+. I am coming from an S60 and I am still very impressed with the tech upgrades. I do have an issue, almost a week now and they can still not set-up my On Call, they keep saying the site to do it is down on Volvo's side. So, I cannot make any comment on the internet based navigation but it is supposed to include traffic. Not sure who it is powered by...?
Hi OnMedic,
sorry for the delay, the email notification got buried under many others, did you manage to try your online services? Did you get navigation, traffic?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:16 AM

Well.. on call is working but still so online services including nav. I have become quite frustrated and tried to contact the joke called volvo canada. Don't get me wrong, great car, just an aweful organization.

The dealer has almost no product info and is as frustrated as i. No Information has been passed down on on call subscription and pricing, nor on how any of the online sensus connect feature work. It was sold to me that navigation will work when a sim card is installed into the glove compartment, but they have no info on how to get one. They pulled one out of a demo unit and put it in mine, no luck. I am still without the nav.

So, i started up the food chain and called volvo canada. I got an ornery gatekeeper that was rude and of no help Only to learn that volvo Canada outsources thier marketing to a third party. No product manager, no product launch ownership, just a lonely chap holding the title of v.p. marketing.

So two and a half weeks in i am no further ahead. No working 'connect' part of sensus connect, and no help in sight. Frustrated!

This is from someone that is a second time owner and consided a third in 18 months when my wife is due. No longer.

Again, like my xc60 but connot recommend Volvo. Run away to a brand that refers to thier customers as such and not 'just a member of the public'. A brand that is organized and prepares thier dealers with the knowledge needed to sell and service thier products and customers. If i had know better my choice would have been different! X3 with a year connect including nav would have been much less $.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM

Well.. on call is working but still so online services including nav. I have become quite frustrated and tried to contact the joke called volvo canada. Don't get me wrong, great car, just an aweful organization.

The dealer has almost no product info and is as frustrated as i. No Information has been passed down on on call subscription and pricing, nor on how any of the online sensus connect feature work. It was sold to me that navigation will work when a sim card is installed into the glove compartment, but they have no info on how to get one. They pulled one out of a demo unit and put it in mine, no luck. I am still without the nav.

So, i started up the food chain and called volvo canada. I got an ornery gatekeeper that was rude and of no help Only to learn that volvo Canada outsources thier marketing to a third party. No product manager, no product launch ownership, just a lonely chap holding the title of v.p. marketing.

So two and a half weeks in i am no further ahead. No working 'connect' part of sensus connect, and no help in sight. Frustrated!

This is from someone that is a second time owner and consided a third in 18 months when my wife is due. No longer.

Again, like my xc60 but connot recommend Volvo. Run away to a brand that refers to thier customers as such and not 'just a member of the public'. A brand that is organized and prepares thier dealers with the knowledge needed to sell and service thier products and customers. If i had know better my choice would have been different! X3 with a year connect including nav would have been much less $.
Even with the SIM card, Nav cannot work if they do not install the Nav app in the dash. Otherwise it would work when I connect the car to Intenet from my iphone through wi-fi or through Bluetooth.

I think they delivered a great step forward with this Sensus 2015.5, we love the tunein radio app, but they have to still fix some bugs. I intend to submit a list of issues to Volvo, but not sure where to send it to be taken in consideration. Some extracts copy pasted below.

For example, bad SW implementation for engine AutoStop (too agressive), folding mirrors (or lack of automatic unfolding), disabled remote start from keyfob to promote the Volvo on Call $15/mth service, missing Internet Navigation feature that was described in the user manual as available when I bought the car, then they changed the manual when I complained that is not there.

Plus two hardware things that I believe are hard or impossible to fix for existing cars, so we will have to live with them. Rear climate vents controlled by driver side instead of passenger side. This is really stupid. I was driving, my wife on the right front seat and her parents in the back. Parents complain is cold. Both front heat settings were at 23C. Wife turns her heat settings higher 25C. I set mine to 21C, to not fall asleep at the wheel. Shortly after, they complain again that we are blowing cold air on them. Wife sets heater at 27C, I leave mine unchanged. Only later we discovered that rear seats get their temperature from the driver side. So I had to choose between them being cold or me being too hot and falling asleep at the wheel.
Normally you would have a setting for the driver, and the second setting for all other passengers.

Side mirrors defrost underpowered – still had some ice on the bottom side even after 15min when they turned off automatically, with about -10-15C outside, so not something unusual in winter.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 PM

Update time...

Actually, no update to report accept no one at Volco Canada is interested. The dealer survey somehow was already completed when I clicked on the link, the deal was not set-up correctly by the business manager, and the vehicle is in the shop for the 3 straight day tomorrow to address a list of about 6 items. All under 4,500 km. At least they provided a service vehicle.

Not sure what to say except, but probably not a Volvo in 16 months when my wife is due for a new vehicle.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:11 PM

hey Tudopatrol....

Did you get the Platinum edition? I am now being told by the dealership that if I want Nav I will have to pay $1,600 because I am an P+ Ocean Race and not a Platinum. Needless to say, it is back in the hands of my sales person and the business manager. Nobody knew this until today at the dealership,what a cluster this 2015.5 launch has been. I expect them to go to the wall to get this software installed as I was told it had internet based navigation when I purchased.

Only one of the other 5 things on the list were fixed properly after it being there for 3.5 days.

Not sure what to think or say at this point. Avoid the local Waterloo Region Volvo dealership or Volvo all together. Sure wish I went BMW X3 or waited for the Discovery sport at this point.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Hello OnMedic,
I just picked up my new XC60 last Friday (Waterloo as well). They also did not do the Volvo on Call Sensus Connect as I never received an email. I suspect they entered a wrong email address as it showed wrong on the printout, so I never received it. I too get the feeling that they seem a bit slow in response and need multiple calls to follow up on anything, even during the sale. I got the P+ with Tech,BLIS and Climate pack. While the connection to internet via wifi works, when going to NAV I only see the message, that I don't have the option. Just as TudoPatrol, I am too curious about the internet map feature. I am not sure to conclude if its not available because I do not have Volvo on Call (VOC) yet? I am more interested in using the phone app to start the car in the winter to warm it up. I will see next week when hopefully they give me the connection PIN. The manual clearly states that you should have internet maps, which I suppose is some sort of open source google like map. I would not want to buy the $1800 NAV package, my 5year old Garmin is probably better...

This is my first Volvo and I do have high hopes as I really like my XC60 so far. Don't know if that will change , I hope not (coming from a Ford). There are some other things that make me curious. For example what about Tire-Pressure monitoring? Manual clearly states that one of 2 systems should be there. On my settings I can't find any. Have you checked on that? Further, the car was sold with Lock-Nuts (so it says in the bill), but I cant find the key in the spare tire compartment. Well, hope this all sorts out...

Let me know...
Thanks
Lutz