Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

2004 XC70 Timing Set up Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XC70 Timing Set up Help

Hi ya'll. I bought a used 2004 Volvo xc70 for $500. Head gasket was blown. Took it to a machine shop turns out the warpage is more than can be fixed so i bought a used head in great condition and had the valves rebuilt as well. when it arrived back to me both cams were off and the variable timing hubs were loose. So I am wondering if anyone here knows of some resources for setting up a xc70's timing from total scratch with everything out and loose? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaweh
Hi ya'll. I bought a used 2004 Volvo xc70 for $500. Head gasket was blown. Took it to a machine shop turns out the warpage is more than can be fixed so i bought a used head in great condition and had the valves rebuilt as well. when it arrived back to me both cams were off and the variable timing hubs were loose. So I am wondering if anyone here knows of some resources for setting up a xc70's timing from total scratch with everything out and loose? Thanks in advance for your help.
You'll need the factory alignment toll (in stock) that bolts to the camshafts

Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

You need a rear cam locking tool. Set the rear intake cam grove to be above the head seam, (the lower edge of the intake cam grove should be inline with the heads seam). Set the rear exhaust cam grove below the head seam, (the upper edge of the exhaust cam grove should be inline with the heads seam). After you do that lock your cams with rear cam locking tool. You can buy a cheap one off ebay for 40.00 or 50.00. Next...

vvt adjustment...

put the upper timing cover on, now turn the loose exhaust cam vvt counterclockwise so the upper timing cover notch and the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear mark is 3 teeth before the actual timing mark that is on the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear. Now lightly tighten the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear to the exhaust cam. Now turn the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear clockwise to it's full stop. now the actual timing mark that is on the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear should line up with the upper timing cover notch. If it lines up, tighten the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear to the cam. If it doesn't line up, measure how far (in teeth) before / after the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear is from lining up with the notch in the upper timing cover at its full stop. If its before the notch in the upper timing cover, loosen the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear and start over but instead of going 3 teeth before the actual timing mark on the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear, go only 2 teeth, retighten and then turn the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear clockwise to its full stop to see if the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear is now lining up with the notch in the upper timing cover, if it lines up, tighten the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear to the cam. If its after the notch in the upper timing cover, loosen exhaust cam vvt hub / gear and start over but instead of going 3 teeth before the actual timing mark on exhaust cam vvt hub / gear, go 4 teeth, retighten and then turn the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear clockwise to its full stop to see if the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear is now lining up with the notch in the upper timing cover, if it lines up, tighten the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear to the cam. If it still doesn't line up and is still going past the notch in the upper timing cover, start over and keep increasing the number of teeth by (1) until the exhaust cam vvt hub / gear lines up with the notch in the upper timing cover at its full (clockwise) stop, after do the same for the intake vvt hub / gear. Then when you install your timing belt, turn both vvt hubs / gears to their full (clockwise) stop while the cams are still locked, which will align the timing marks on your vvts to your upper timing cover. its pretty easy to do as long as you have the rear of the cams locked in place and your crank gear aligned, just remember, your timing marks need to line up when the vvts hubs / gears are at their full stop, (at their full clockwise stop positions)

F!

Last edited by Fataqui; 03-21-2017 at 11:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fataqui:
mikevinni (04-01-2021), Tontjenx (04-17-2023)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:11 AM

hi F! thanks for the long detailed explanation. I purchased one of those locking devices and it just arrived today. I just wanted to be clear: the car's head is out, valve cover is off. Also, This car did not come with a timing belt cover. So i don't know if the timing covers are straight up and down like some or if they are angled. by what you described is it correct then that the part number of the rear of the intake cam will be on the bottom of the seam and thus on top of the seam for the exhaust cam? I am waiting on the water pump and new belt assembly to arrive. When it does next week, i'll get right on it. Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=Fataqui;445053]Hi

You need a rear cam locking tool. Set the rear intake cam grove to be above the head seam, (the lower edge of the intake cam grove should be inline with the heads seam). Set the rear exhaust cam grove below the head seam, (the upper edge of the exhaust cam grove should be inline with the heads seam).

Can you please clarify this? what you wrote says both front and rear, intake and exhaust marks are facing below. Which one is up and which one is below? The part came in early.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

The exhaust cam groove should be below its casting seam, but the top edge of the exhaust cam groove should also run parallel with its casting seam. The intake cam groove is exactly the opposite, The intake cam groove should be above its casting seam, but the bottom edge of the intake cam groove should also run parallel with its casting seam. After you have those set, you can then lock your cams. To explain this... If you look at your locking tool, you will notice the male cam groove inserts are offset, the exhaust male cam insert is offset towards the bottom of the exhaust cam center, and the intake male cam insert is offset towards the top of the intake cam center. just seeing that on your locking tool should tell you that the exhaust cam groove goes below its casting seam, and the intake cam groove goes above its casting seam. In other words the locking tool will not line up with each cams groove if you don't have the cams timing setup positioned properly!

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XC70 Timing Set up Help-ecr.jpg   2004 XC70 Timing Set up Help-icr.jpg  

Last edited by Fataqui; 03-25-2017 at 02:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fataqui:
mikevinni (04-01-2021), Tontjenx (04-17-2023)