Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Brake sound in rear that isn't the brake. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake sound in rear that isn't the brake. HELP

Hello,

I recently changed the brake pads and rotors on my 2003 XC70. The front ones wore in well and make no sounds. The rear on the other hand have started making a noise that I thought was from a rotor that is out of round or true. Today I took the entire thing apart again and cleaned and greased everything. Then I took my friend in the car that knows more than me and he confirmed to me that it is not a noise from the brakes.

He made this conclusion from the fact that the sounds does not go away as I apply the brakes. Rather the sound just slows own with me.

So the sound is from the rear and increases as I accelerate and decreases as I slow down.

As of recent it sounds as if it has gotten worse and like there is a second sound that is developing.

Thank you for any and all help.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 AM

I had a similiar sound on my 2000 XC70 that I finally isolated to the driveshaft for the AWD. This shaft can be removed and you can drive the vehicle as a FWD only with no ill effects that is what I ended up doing with mine. If it is the driveshaft the noise will occur more than once per wheel revolution. If it is a wheel specific problem it will occur once per revolution or in the case of a bearing constantly while wheels are rotating bearing sound is more of a growling/grinding noise.

Driveshaft sound will be ticking/clicking/ clacking sound usually with vibration. Mine sounded like fan blades hitting a shroud.

It could also be the rear axle assembly/ CV joints usually a clicking/clacking noise too but only oncew per wheel revolution. Inspect the axle boots for tears/leaking grease.

The driveshaft is easy to remove yourself just six 6mm hexhead bolts at each end and two 12mm bolts on the center support bracket to remove and pull it out to the rear.

Hope this helps Jeff

Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 AM

I ended up taking it in to the Volvo dealership. It was the ball bearings in the right rear. I guess after 160k miles they might wear out.

While the car was there they found that I need a module for my computer. I found this out because the computer on the dash said that the airbag needs to be checked. This module cost $1500. I declined to get the part put in!!