Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

First Volvo, now I'm nervous

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Volvo, now I'm nervous

Hi,

I was so excited to have purchased my first Volvo. We purchased a 2001 cross country x70. The day after we bought it, the ABS light came on. We were taking it to be have an oil change and new tires anyway, so I had them check it-they said it appears to be the abs motor pump...estimate is $2,000. We were also told we will need new brakes soon (this is an expected expense). We cannot afford this repair as of now, and I'm terrified of what's to come after reading posts from other owners. Two days later, the check engine light came on and it wouldn't start for about 5 minutes. We really only use it for light driving around town, but when my husband is at work, it's my primary vehicle as a stay at home mom. I really love the car and the look and room, but I am really afraid of the expenses to come and that it may not start again while we are out running errands. Has anyone else had these specific issues? Is there hope of an easier and less expensive fix? Are these cars pretty dependable?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:58 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

They are great for somebody that likes to become an expert on them and keep them up. They would be bad for someone who pays a mechanic, because people who work on European cars just charge more. So they're dependable, but financially their suitability depends on who you are.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

They aren't bad, but any time you buy a 15 year old car that someone cleared the fault codes on and sold instead of fixing it, you're in for disappointment.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Yep, and if you are not the DIY type, you should try to find a local indy who's willing to let you bring your own parts (including used) as the case may be. ABS pumps new cost big bucks but you can find a used part for under $100 - eBay or a local recycle yard (Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a good resource for finding used parts) will do, but first somebody needs to do the diagnostics. The fix could be as simple as a wheel sensor... Check engine lights need to have the diagnostic codes retrieved via an OBD2 reader ("on board diagnostics"). Friendly shops and some big box auto parts stores will read for free. If you get the codes, write them down and post up so the forum can give you some ideas of what to expect. PS add a location to your profile if you can, you may get a referral to a good shop in your area by posting on the regional boards.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I'm confused!

I took it to a nice shop today, where the guy gave me some codes and said nothing came up on his machine about the ABS motor...but he did show some problems with the cam shaft (said it was the timing belt). I will add the specific codes. I am in the Myrtle Beach, SC area. My husband can do basic repairs, but this guy said the timing belt can be tricky, because its oil controlled,and he wouldn't even do it at his shop. He referred me to the dealership. I would love to know if anyone else has gotten these codes and fixed the issue themselves.

Here are the codes:
4008 canister purge valve
644A camshaft reset valve
6440 camshaft reset valve

Last edited by Pirategirl; 04-09-2016 at 07:03 PM.