Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

HOW TO REPAIR TIMING BELT HEAD GASKET BENT VALVES

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO REPAIR TIMING BELT HEAD GASKET BENT VALVES

After bending the valves on my 1998 V70XC engine due to an incorrect timing belt installation, I decided to tackle the job of rebuilding the head on my engine. Being a carpenter, I decided to make some of the tools required for removal/assembly out of wood with what I had lying around my shop. Overall it was a good experience and I learned a lot about my car. None of it was very difficult, but I'm glad I'm a patient guy.

After disconnecting the necessary items in the engine compartment I removed the head assembly out of the car along with the turbo and exhaust manifold attached. My small Kubota backhoe was perfect for lifting it out of the engine compartment and putting it back in. Anything I took off I put in baggies and labeled them.

With the head off I could see the damage the intake valves did to the pistons. There were some very slight indentations on the exhaust side of some of the pistons but I replaced only the intake valves. Exhaust valves weren't damaged.

Not a very pretty picture.

A moment when I was trying to find the humor in all of this...

This was my valve spring compressor tool. I made this out of an old birch spindle I had. The taper of the spindle allowed me to fit it into the valve recess perfectly. I cut the fork on one end to compress the valve springs with a 12" C-clamp and remove the valve retainers with a small magnet. The recess in the other end of the dowel was perfect for seating the valve guides with the tap of a hammer

Valve guides installed

I took the head and intake manifold to a shop and had them clean everything. I installed the lower end of the head with the turbo attached. Whenever I could I replaced anything that was going to be hard to get to later (ie vacum lines, o-rings, thermostat) and also took apart the turbo to clean it.

Don't forget the turbo oil seal!

I made the camshaft holders out of Poplar and glued slotted dowels onto the Poplar after the cams were aligned correctly on the upper part of the head. The next day I drilled locations for screws to hold the camshafts in place.

Spreading the volvo gasket

Installing the head by gently clamping with wood clamps to compress the valve springs. Now I could start putting everything back together. I took a lot of pictures along the way so I wouldn't forget the order of certain items. The only thing I forgot to do was to tighten one of the banjo fittings running off the turbo into the block. I ended up with a puddle of oil under the car but I consider that not too bad.

I made sure that when I put the timing belt on the this time I turned the engine over by hand a few times, check the timing marks, turn over a few more times, then crank it over. You should have seen the smile on my face when it started.

If anyone needs any help on something I didn't cover in enough detail feel free to post or email me. Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: HOW TO REPAIR TIMING BELT HEAD GASKET BENT VALVES

WOW!!

Great Pictures. I think this should be made a sticky at the top of this section.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Done

Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Johnhon, email sent!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Hi, I just signed up because I'm dealing with this exact same problem. I've got a '98 V70XC that threw a timing belt, and don't want to pay a shop to replace the valves. Only two of the valves appear to be bent. Am I the only one who can't see Johnhon's images?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Something must be wrong with link.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 AM

Setting up the timing is tricky on theintake cam due to the hydraulic variable timing on it. Also, when you take in the cylinder head to have the valves replaced, bring the valve cover as well. They need to resurface the mating surfaces of the valve cover and cylinder head, otherwise it'll leak oil when its all back together. there is no valve cover gasket...

Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 AM

JRoc, I'm 90% sure I've got the non VVT style engine, the gear on the end of the intake cam looks exactly like the one on the exhaust cam.

I appreciate the heads-up on the leaking cover, and was wondering if I was crazy not finding a gasket when I took it apart. I'm actually planning on replacing the valves myself, which isn't conducive to having them resurfaced. If you like, check the thread I started HERE.

I'll probably end up cleaning the surfaces and spraying some Copper Gasket Adhesive on the mating surfaces, unless you guys don't think that will work.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator

I would use the Volvo stuff it is pretty expensive but is awesome stuff.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Default need some help

hi john, i have the same car with the same issues and just wondering if you could give me a hand with some issues on setting up the cams.. i have the tools, but have never done a vvt motor, and looks like you have some good advise. if you could email me with some help that would be great, thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 02:06 PM

help with setting up cams on a vvt motor

Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 PM

Man, Nice write up!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator

If you locked the cams then snug the center screw some and get the VVT pulley so that the timing marks line up with the pulley in the center of the free play it has.
When the screw is snugged up it will move to the left and right. Get it centered from there and loosen the screw back up and spin the pulley till the mark lines up and snug it up again and make sure it is centered.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Default thanks

when i recieved the car the cams where out off the head and the person had removed the gears, i put it all back together, and have the valve cover torqued down, but still a little confused because the gears can go on any way and that would make me off. So once i lock the gears in from the back of the cam, just center the gears to the top marks on the cover? thanks, sorry about all the questions

Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator

As long as the VVT pulley it centered on the cam you should be fine.
There is always a slim chance it might be a tooth or so off.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Default Contact me via email

Hi Roadster,

I just read the replies to my post ( I actually didn't realize that they were there) and I know it might be too late for you, but my email is john@hondrogen.com if you want to send me any questions. I hope all worked out well for you.
John

Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Do you have specific instructions on setting the VVT cam on the V70

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM

hello; I remove the sprockets fron the camshaft , now I dont know too put it back

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Default WOW great pics!!!!!

Very very nice!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 AM

This can cause damage to the valves, but can not guarantee. I suggest when you get the timing belt changed, you have a mechanic inspect the vehicle damages.Change timing belt before 60000 km. My car was just over 61000 km, when the belt is not.

Quick Reply: HOW TO REPAIR TIMING BELT HEAD GASKET BENT VALVES