Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

XC70 reduced engine performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC70 reduced engine performance

XC70 (2004) on way to 100,000km service, warning light came up "reduced engine performence". The XC70 would not accelarate and came to a stop. I switched off engine and restarted, everything normal. Had service at 99500km, reported problem. After service, traveling at 120km/h, same thing happened. Warning light "reduced engine performance" engine very rough, slows down to stop. Switched off and restarted, everything ok. What is the problem?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: XC70 reduced engine performance

Sounds to me like you have experienced the dreaded ETM failure. This is a known issue on earlier models (01-03) but this is the first time I have heard of it on a 04. I could explain the issue but it would be much easier if you did a search for 'ETM" or "ETM failure" you will learn all you need to know. In short, a trip to the dealer for an ETM replacement is likely needed.

Glenn

Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 AM

The same exact thing happened to my 04 XC70 last Thursday while my wife was driving. She turned the car off and drove to a parking lot to park the car until I got there. I drove it to the mechanic without a problem and they just called and told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. She is afraid it will happen again so she doesn't want to drive the car. Should I just go ahead and replace the ETM? And does anyone know how much that will run me or can I do it myself?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Does your mechanic have the proper scanner to read the codes? Volvo are really funny with codes most generic scanners cannot read them.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM

Yeah the mechanic said there were not any codes to read. The Mrs. did say that he message center said reduced engine performance, like she needed to be told that after the car wouldn't accelerate.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Try this it will not give you codes but it will only tell you if there is codes stored and in what computers.

Press and hold the read button on the end of the turn signal. While holding the button press and release the rear foglight switch twice fast. The display window will say checking for DTC. Then it will say DTC's stored. Press the read button to go through the modules and see which ones have codes. If the ECM has codes stored then his scanner cannot read them.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll try that when I get home tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Administrator

OK let us know how you make out.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like the ETM issue is also cropping up on some 04 models *sigh*

Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM

I apologize for the confusion. I have an 03 not 04 like I stated earlier. I got confused somewhere.

Press and hold the read button on the end of the turn signal. While holding the button press and release the rear foglight switch twice fast. The display window will say checking for DTC. Then it will say DTC's stored. Press the read button to go through the modules and see which ones have codes. If the ECM has codes stored then his scanner cannot read them.
OK I did this and got the following. One thing is when it said checking, I waited a while and nothing happened so I pressed the read button again. Was I supposed to wait for something to happen?

DTCS IN VEHICLE
BCM DTC SET
SAS CHECKING
SRS READY
TCM CHECKING
ECM CHECKING
DEM READY
AUM DTC SET
CEM DTC SET
DIM READY
DDM DTC SET
CCM CHECKING
PDM DTC SET
PSM CHECKING
REM CHECKING
SWM READY
UEM CHECKING

YOU HAVE 0 MESSAGES

OK it's all Greek to me.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

OK no codes stored in the ECM as of right now. But the car has not completed its trip cycle.
No you didn't have to wait any longer. That was fine how you did it.
That is very strange that it happened and didn't set any codes.
Not sure what to say from here. The light might have to be on to read a code out of it. But that will be hard to do.
Because when it says "reduced engine performence" then the car slows to a stop correct?
Then there would be no way to take it somewhere to have the codes read.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Because when it says "reduced engine performence" then the car slows to a stop correct?
That's how the Mrs. explained it to me. She's insistent on me taking it to someone that can fix it or give me an answer to as why it happened. I'll tell her that there's nothing stored in the computer to read and it was hopefully a one time occurrence.
Thanks for your help and if something changes I'll post up again.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a plan.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 AM

Anybody find a cause/solution? I have a 2003XC90 2.5 and experienced the same problem. I was 5 minutes from home going up hill in cruse when the engine started surging slightly. Then no power. The engine was still idling, but no power when I hit the throttle. I got the "Reduced Engine Performance" message and the yellow warning triangle. I coasted to the side of the road, turned the car off and back on, and it was OK and ran fine for the rest of the trip (150 miles). I called a mechanic buddy, and he thought that it might have been water or crap in the fuel (I had filled the tank about 75 miles before the problem happened at a station that I don't usually use). But if it were bad fuel, I would have expected a recurrance by now? I'm getting ready to leave on a 600 mile trip in this vehicle, and I'm not feeling too confidient about driving it. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:05 AM

i just filled my car up after it came back from timing belt change, oil change , steering rack change and boom I get first the NO OIL PRESSURE msg and then it went away and then I got hit my REDUCED PERFORMANCE after filling up the car, i pulled over, turned the car off and turned on and it was fine, do I need to change the ETM? I did the manual code read by holding the read button and fog light and I got DTC SET on almost EVERY MODULE CAME UP, ECM DTC SET is one of them along with AIRBAG (I have a bad clock spring).....

Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator

You will need to get the codes read.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM

no official or unofficial volvo dealer in my country...... I will change the ETM and Oil Pan O Ring first as I do not know how the previous owner maintained the service. Is there any turbo part needed for scheduled service? I dont get the strong turbo whistle sound like I do in my diesel turbo Montero.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM

no official or unofficial volvo dealer in my country...... I will change the ETM and Oil Pan O Ring first as I do not know how the previous owner maintained the service. Is there any turbo part needed for scheduled service? I dont get the strong turbo whistle sound like I do in my diesel turbo Montero.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Sorry but to change the throttle body you will need a Dealer because software needs to be downloaded for it to work.
Here in the U.S. they are under warranty for 10 years 200,000 miles.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM

will opening and cleaning the throttle module need to re install ECM software? I presume not , but never owned Volvo before

Quick Reply: XC70 reduced engine performance