Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo XC70
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 AM

Default XC70 tail light replacement

I'm not usually so clueless, BUT, I can't figure how to get the upper tail light lens off to replace a burned-out lamp. (2001 XC70)Is there another way? I am not afraid to tear into my car, but, this has me stumped. - Thanks!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
1999 Volvo S70

Default RE: XC70 tail light replacement

I don't think you need to take the lens off to replace a bulb.

There should be an access panel from the inside of the car.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the response. You'd think there would be some sort of access from the inside. The assembly is the upper one located on the outside of the c (maybe d) pillar. There is a panel for the lower assembly, but, the upper has a sort of carpet piece over it. I tried to get access by removing the lower panel and reaching up, but, that doesn't seem possible.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Access to the upper section of the rear lights is through the speakers.

You don't say what year the car is but this is for the 2000 model:

Tail light bulbs (wagons)
1. Direction indicator
2. Brake light
3. Tail light
4. Back-up light
5. Tail light / Rear fog light (left side only)
Click the image to open in full size.

All the bulbs in the tail light unit are replaced from inside the cargo space as follows:
· Turn the ignition key to position 0 and switch off the lights.
· Remove the upper panel of the tail light unit by using a screwdriver (1) and/or the lower panel by first removing the side floor cover and turning the plastic screw at the bottom of the panel to release it.
· Press down catch A (upper section) * or press catches B toward each other (lower section) and take out the bulb holder.
· Leave the connector and cables connected to the bulb holder.
· Remove the bulb by pressing it inwards and turning it slightly counter-clocKWise.
· Insert a new bulb into the bulb holder and reinstall the holder in the tail light assembly.
· Check that the bulb works. Reinstall the cover.
* The optional speaker (see illustrations 2, 3)) must be removed first to gain access to the upper bulb holder.

And this is for the 2001 onwards:

Replacement of bulbs in backup light, rear parking lights and rear fog lights[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Open the access panel.[*]Remove the sound insulation behind it.[*]Twist the bulb holder counterclockwise and remove it.[*]Press the bulb inward, twist it counter-clockwise and extract it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the sound insulation and put the access panel back in place.

Replacement of rear turn signal and brake light bulbs[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Using a screwdriver, carefully pry off the speaker grille.[*]Pull out the red tab in the speaker.[*]Then press on the black pin above the extracted red tab and twist out the speaker.[*]Twist the bulb holder counter-clockwise, and withdraw it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the speaker and press in the red tab.[*]Press the speaker grille back into position.

1996 850GLT 2.5 20v Estate Manual.
1995 Peugeot Boxer 2.5Tdi Autosleeper.

Previously:
1984 244DL, Manual.
1987 744GLE, Manual.
1991 960 3.0 24v, Auto.
1994 940T Wentworth, Auto.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM

Brilliant! That is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll replace the bad lamp this weekend and let you know how I made out.-Thank you!
Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Bill, do you have the procedure for replacing a rear brake light bulb in a 2005, S80, please? There is some sort of tab on the inner side of the light assembly, behind the fabric panel but the assembly doesn't seem to pull out easily.
I don't know if there is another tab or other procedure step to apply.
Thanks

Upon further web search, found this Volvo owners site, which lists the bulbs needed and the procedure to replace them.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...0_09.htm#pg149 Bulbs needed...
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/..._08a.htm#pg119 How to...

Last edited by orswitz; 12-21-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Updated information
Old 08-13-2011, 12:36 PM

This was a great thread. I got the Bulb Failure message this morning and after walking around the car awhile found that it was a burned out parking light. Here's where I found the specs for the bulb itself.

2005 Volvo S80

$4.99 at Advance Auto Parts. For TWO! The dealership would have been $49.99.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofdurham View Post
Access to the upper section of the rear lights is through the speakers.

You don't say what year the car is but this is for the 2000 model:

Tail light bulbs (wagons)
1. Direction indicator
2. Brake light
3. Tail light
4. Back-up light
5. Tail light / Rear fog light (left side only)

All the bulbs in the tail light unit are replaced from inside the cargo space as follows:
· Turn the ignition key to position 0 and switch off the lights.
· Remove the upper panel of the tail light unit by using a screwdriver (1) and/or the lower panel by first removing the side floor cover and turning the plastic screw at the bottom of the panel to release it.
· Press down catch A (upper section) * or press catches B toward each other (lower section) and take out the bulb holder.
· Leave the connector and cables connected to the bulb holder.
· Remove the bulb by pressing it inwards and turning it slightly counter-clocKWise.
· Insert a new bulb into the bulb holder and reinstall the holder in the tail light assembly.
· Check that the bulb works. Reinstall the cover.
* The optional speaker (see illustrations 2, 3)) must be removed first to gain access to the upper bulb holder.

And this is for the 2001 onwards:

Replacement of bulbs in backup light, rear parking lights and rear fog lights[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Open the access panel.[*]Remove the sound insulation behind it.[*]Twist the bulb holder counterclockwise and remove it.[*]Press the bulb inward, twist it counter-clockwise and extract it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the sound insulation and put the access panel back in place.

Replacement of rear turn signal and brake light bulbs[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Using a screwdriver, carefully pry off the speaker grille.[*]Pull out the red tab in the speaker.[*]Then press on the black pin above the extracted red tab and twist out the speaker.[*]Twist the bulb holder counter-clockwise, and withdraw it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the speaker and press in the red tab.[*]Press the speaker grille back into position.
I tried this, but the rear speaker assembly will not budge.. I removed the red tab..but there is no black pin only a black tab attached to the speaker assembly.. Any help or advice on removing this assembly so I can replace a rear parking lamp?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM

I have a 2002 xc70 with a busted passenger side tail light. There are 3 (8mm?) nuts that hold lower unit in place. Initial panel removal only provides access to the lower (2) but not the upper right hand corner nut. What is procedure for removing the interior access panel that covers stated nut without damage? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM

You'll probably attack the last nut with the help of a u-joint on your 1/4" driver with extension and socket. There shouldn't be a need to remove any more than the access panel.
Ed
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Tags
2005, brake, bulb, changing, light, red, remove, replacement, replacing, s80, speaker, tab, tail, taillight, v70, volvo, xc70, xc90