Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

XC70 tail light replacement

Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC70 tail light replacement

I'm not usually so clueless, BUT, I can't figure how to get the upper tail light lens off to replace a burned-out lamp. (2001 XC70)Is there another way? I am not afraid to tear into my car, but, this has me stumped. - Thanks!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: XC70 tail light replacement

I don't think you need to take the lens off to replace a bulb.

There should be an access panel from the inside of the car.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the response. You'd think there would be some sort of access from the inside. The assembly is the upper one located on the outside of the c (maybe d) pillar. There is a panel for the lower assembly, but, the upper has a sort of carpet piece over it. I tried to get access by removing the lower panel and reaching up, but, that doesn't seem possible.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Access to the upper section of the rear lights is through the speakers.

You don't say what year the car is but this is for the 2000 model:

Tail light bulbs (wagons)
1. Direction indicator
2. Brake light
3. Tail light
4. Back-up light
5. Tail light / Rear fog light (left side only)

All the bulbs in the tail light unit are replaced from inside the cargo space as follows:
· Turn the ignition key to position 0 and switch off the lights.
· Remove the upper panel of the tail light unit by using a screwdriver (1) and/or the lower panel by first removing the side floor cover and turning the plastic screw at the bottom of the panel to release it.
· Press down catch A (upper section) * or press catches B toward each other (lower section) and take out the bulb holder.
· Leave the connector and cables connected to the bulb holder.
· Remove the bulb by pressing it inwards and turning it slightly counter-clocKWise.
· Insert a new bulb into the bulb holder and reinstall the holder in the tail light assembly.
· Check that the bulb works. Reinstall the cover.
* The optional speaker (see illustrations 2, 3)) must be removed first to gain access to the upper bulb holder.

And this is for the 2001 onwards:

Replacement of bulbs in backup light, rear parking lights and rear fog lights[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Open the access panel.[*]Remove the sound insulation behind it.[*]Twist the bulb holder counterclockwise and remove it.[*]Press the bulb inward, twist it counter-clockwise and extract it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the sound insulation and put the access panel back in place.

Replacement of rear turn signal and brake light bulbs[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Using a screwdriver, carefully pry off the speaker grille.[*]Pull out the red tab in the speaker.[*]Then press on the black pin above the extracted red tab and twist out the speaker.[*]Twist the bulb holder counter-clockwise, and withdraw it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the speaker and press in the red tab.[*]Press the speaker grille back into position.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM

Brilliant! That is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll replace the bad lamp this weekend and let you know how I made out.-Thank you!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Bill, do you have the procedure for replacing a rear brake light bulb in a 2005, S80, please? There is some sort of tab on the inner side of the light assembly, behind the fabric panel but the assembly doesn't seem to pull out easily.
I don't know if there is another tab or other procedure step to apply.
Thanks

Upon further web search, found this Volvo owners site, which lists the bulbs needed and the procedure to replace them.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...0_09.htm#pg149 Bulbs needed...
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/..._08a.htm#pg119 How to...

Last edited by orswitz; 12-21-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Updated information
Old 08-13-2011, 12:36 PM

This was a great thread. I got the Bulb Failure message this morning and after walking around the car awhile found that it was a burned out parking light. Here's where I found the specs for the bulb itself.

2005 Volvo S80

$4.99 at Advance Auto Parts. For TWO! The dealership would have been $49.99.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by billofdurham
Access to the upper section of the rear lights is through the speakers.

You don't say what year the car is but this is for the 2000 model:

Tail light bulbs (wagons)
1. Direction indicator
2. Brake light
3. Tail light
4. Back-up light
5. Tail light / Rear fog light (left side only)

All the bulbs in the tail light unit are replaced from inside the cargo space as follows:
· Turn the ignition key to position 0 and switch off the lights.
· Remove the upper panel of the tail light unit by using a screwdriver (1) and/or the lower panel by first removing the side floor cover and turning the plastic screw at the bottom of the panel to release it.
· Press down catch A (upper section) * or press catches B toward each other (lower section) and take out the bulb holder.
· Leave the connector and cables connected to the bulb holder.
· Remove the bulb by pressing it inwards and turning it slightly counter-clocKWise.
· Insert a new bulb into the bulb holder and reinstall the holder in the tail light assembly.
· Check that the bulb works. Reinstall the cover.
* The optional speaker (see illustrations 2, 3)) must be removed first to gain access to the upper bulb holder.

And this is for the 2001 onwards:

Replacement of bulbs in backup light, rear parking lights and rear fog lights[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Open the access panel.[*]Remove the sound insulation behind it.[*]Twist the bulb holder counterclockwise and remove it.[*]Press the bulb inward, twist it counter-clockwise and extract it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the sound insulation and put the access panel back in place.

Replacement of rear turn signal and brake light bulbs[*]Switch off all lights and turn the ignition switch to position 0.[*]Using a screwdriver, carefully pry off the speaker grille.[*]Pull out the red tab in the speaker.[*]Then press on the black pin above the extracted red tab and twist out the speaker.[*]Twist the bulb holder counter-clockwise, and withdraw it.[*]Fit a new bulb.[*]Fit the bulb holder in place and twist it clockwise.[*]Refit the speaker and press in the red tab.[*]Press the speaker grille back into position.
I tried this, but the rear speaker assembly will not budge.. I removed the red tab..but there is no black pin only a black tab attached to the speaker assembly.. Any help or advice on removing this assembly so I can replace a rear parking lamp?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM

I have a 2002 xc70 with a busted passenger side tail light. There are 3 (8mm?) nuts that hold lower unit in place. Initial panel removal only provides access to the lower (2) but not the upper right hand corner nut. What is procedure for removing the interior access panel that covers stated nut without damage? Thanks.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll probably attack the last nut with the help of a u-joint on your 1/4" driver with extension and socket. There shouldn't be a need to remove any more than the access panel.
Ed

Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanks Ed for the quick response, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Tom

Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Default Tail Light Lens Replacement

2007 Xc-70. Need to replace tail light lens. Looks like you guys will post instructions, can ya do it for that please? Also, any good place to buy the assembly.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Default Parts Dealer

Originally Posted by Monaco
I'm not usually so clueless, BUT, I can't figure how to get the upper tail light lens off to replace a burned-out lamp. (2001 XC70)Is there another way? I am not afraid to tear into my car, but, this has me stumped. - Thanks!
Hi,Voluparts | Volvo Parts Warehouse | New, Used, & Rebuilt

Sorry for delay in responding. I live in Minnesota and found my best deal for the assembly @ above link.

If the bulb is all you are trying to replace, it is located behind the panel and you need a small hand to reach way up to do the replacement but no need to remove entire assembly. It is some what of a pain to do...

Hope this helps.

Tom

Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Default Cracked lens

Thanks Tom,

The lens is cracked so I need to do the whole thing. Does anyone have instructions for that?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Default Replacement instructions...

Remove the inside panels then use a 10mm socket on a swivel to get at the backside mounting bolts. If I recall correctly there are (4) and getting the upper-most one proves a little tricky hence the swivel attachment is a must. Otherwise slow and steady and before you know, the new one will pop right in. A little bit of frustration will save a lot of money. Good luck.

Tom

Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Default Replacing bulbs: not for humans

Access to the socket to replace some of the rear bulbs on my 2004 XC70 is beyond awful, more than absurd and distinctly ridiculous.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:12 PM

This post should be highlighted for being very helpful

The position lights and brake lamps are accessible in the XC-70 through holes in the superstructure. It helps to have small hands. The bulbs are each held in a proprietary Volvo plastic bulb carriers. It has electrical connections built in and it only snaps in one way.

The brake light bulb is a familiar two filament bulb, but the base is different.
See
Sylvania #7225 Sylvania #7225
(looks like the old 1054 bulbs used in american cars, but it's got a new base with different post positions).

The smaller bulb is a
Sylvania 5008 Sylvania 5008

$6 for a pack of two bulbs.

Reaching into to remove these bulbs can strain your hand. Relax and don't fight it. I faced the light from outside the car and used a flashlight to watch how the bulb was getting seated through the lens. It took me over 30 minutes on the first try.

In the bottom section, there are 3 bulbs that can be removed.
In the upper section, behind a speaker, there are two upper bulbs.

Removing the entire light fixture isn't necessary, but it may look easier. I did this in my older 740 cars, when it was just easier to change bulbs with the thing off the car (4 long screws with wing nuts).

I have large hands and I found I could only use two fingers to manipulate the bulb from inside the car frame. But, it worked.

In my experience, it's best to change out the bulbs on both sides of the car and all around, if any of them are burning out. This car has 4 tiny red LEDs for position marking that won't burn out, but they are quite small.

I can't imagine changing out these bulbs in very cold weather outdoors. It's not the best design Volvo has every had, but I just love the tall light stacks. I do think they are brighter and distinctive at night.

The diagram above is very helpful !!

Last edited by Mac Cat; 11-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Exclamation Volvo XC-70 rear speaker removal

Originally Posted by ozcam
I tried this, but the rear speaker assembly will not budge.. I removed the red tab..but there is no black pin only a black tab attached to the speaker assembly.. Any help or advice on removing this assembly so I can replace a rear parking lamp?
Pull off the cover with a flat dull blade or screw driver.
Pull the red tab out about an inch.
Then press down on the black tap on top of the speaker assembly.

If the speaker does't pop right out, reach over the metal hole and press down on the black plastic anchor. It will flip out from the car frame.

The speaker is in a sturdy black plastic case that is wedged into a hole in the superstructure of the car frame. It gives access to the two upper tail lights (turn signal and back up lights).