Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 XC90 Electrical System Saga

Old 07-24-2020, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not in my case

Old 10-08-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Heaviside
Hi all,

About the same time that my transmission started acting up, I began having electrical problems with my XC90. It started with radio/ICM intermittent behavior, and it progressed to a complete shut-down of the "low speed network". At this point, nothing inside the car works. You are in limp home mode, though the engine still works normally--no dashboard, no windows, no seats, no climate control, etc.

I read everything I could find on the internet (this forum and several others). I first investigated the CEM module for corrosion--had it big time. I removed the CEM, took it apart, and cleaned it with 99 percent alcohol and a toothbrush. When I put it back together, I had better behavior but not perfect. The low speed network would come up for about two minutes and then shut down again with messages about brake failure and airbags. The ICM was still dead, so I assumed there was still a problem there.

I disconnected the network connector on the back the ICM (green connector), and (big clue) the DIM (dashboard) came up and stayed up, but the driver's door didn't work. After studying the wiring diagram, I realized that disconnecting the ICM breaks the network ring. So, next I placed jumper wires on the back of the ICM connector (connect green to green and white to white).

Everything worked except, of course, the ICM. This gave me confidence that, if I replaced the ICM, I would be back in business. I bought one used (see another post), and all works now.

This was potentially a $3000 hit. Volvo wouldn't ante up. They did for the transmission, which was appreciated. This cost me a little under $300 and a fair amount of my time and effort, and I feel good about the result.

If anyone wants to pursue something like this and needs advice, let me know.

Dan
I need advice my xc90 06 has been nothing but a pain everytime I get it fixed it comes out with a new problem annoying really however I had it scanned yesterday and all the communication errors came up, my one problem is when the battery was changed the gear became stuck in Park and the code warning is missing plug, I don't want to take it back to the mechanic only if I have to can this be fixed at home

Old 05-01-2021, 09:26 AM
Default 2005 XC90 blinker issue -computer ? I can buy it for 500 ? Worth it ?

I could purchase this car for 750ish and wondering if it would be a nightmare or worth it . They say the computer is messing up the blinkers !

I disconnected the network connector on the back the ICM (green connector), and (big clue) the DIM (dashboard) came up and stayed up, but the driver's door didn't work. After studying the wiring diagram, I realized that disconnecting the ICM breaks the network ring. So, next I placed jumper wires on the back of the ICM connector (connect green to green and white to white).

Everything worked except, of course, the ICM. This gave me confidence that, if I replaced the ICM, I would be back in business. I bought one used (see another post), and all works now.

This was potentially a $3000 hit. Volvo wouldn't ante up. They did for the transmission, which was appreciated. This cost me a little under $300 and a fair amount of my time and effort, and I feel good about the result.

If anyone wants to pursue something like this and needs advice, let me know.

Dan[/QUOTE]

Old 05-01-2021, 09:28 AM

I could purchase a 2005 XC90 for around 750 or maybe even $500 so I am worried only about if it would be a nightmare to fix the electrical issue . They say it could be the computer because it’ll run and drive all day long but the blinkers are messed up . Mainly affects the blinkers only .

Old 07-12-2021, 11:45 PM
Default Help needed radio no power

Hi Dan
i have a 2004 XC90 D5 executive. The radio had a light not working so I replaced it as I have done in the past
The issue is that I removed the battery neg but forgot the ignition was still on
Now radio will not turn on. Satnav rear seat entertainment not working or the reverse sensors. All the rest of the car is fine. All fuses are ok and I have checked every one of them. Any ideas
Please can you help.
Cheers Dean