Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Skid Service Required Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Skid Service Required Issues

I have a 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T and I recently had the Anti-Skid Service Required notification pop up. I have not noticed any differences in driving performance. I took to my local guy who has been working on Volvos for many years and he did a diagnostic test. It told him it was an issue with my "right rear accelerator". He told me he has never had that code come up and would have to do some more research. Using my best Googling techniques, I have not been able to find anything named that. The closest thing I could find was the accelerator sensor on the gas pedal. Hopefully someone here can help!

Old 01-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That's because there is no such part. Did he give you the code number?

Old 01-08-2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
That's because there is no such part. Did he give you the code number?
Unfortunately I did not, but that makes sense as to why I could not find anything about it! The car drives fine so I am not very worried, but I'll get it back in as soon as I can.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM

Strange error messages are due sometimes to a failing battery.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:00 PM

I have that same message. I took it to the dealer. (05 XC90 2.5T FWD) It is for my car the bad SAS, also known as a Steering Angle Sensor, also known as a Clockwork (something or other) my dealer wants $630 or so to fix mine. My local alternate quoted me $680 or so.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:51 PM

Various things can cause this message - you need to get a competent mechanic to extract all the codes for you. They will each be a letter followed by four numbers, such as P0123. A Volvo mechanic can certainly extract them and work out what to do, but other mechanics can at least get the codes for you. When you have them, talk to the people at xemodex.com and they will tell you if they can fix your problem with one of their repairs.

In my case, that message meant the computer controlling the rear axle had failed. Volvo calls the module the Differential Electronic Module (DEM). That computer controls a clutch to transmit drive from the tailshaft to the rear differential. The clutch needs to slip all the time on sealed road surfaces. If it grips completely, it will damage the drivetrain. The error message on the dashboard does not tell you this, but it may be happening. In my case, that clutch locked up at times (because of the failing computer module) without me knowing, and it ended up destroying the inner CV joints on both front axles, as well as the coupler sleeve between the front axle and the tailshaft. Repairs were expensive.

I recommend you locate the fuse for the Differential Electronic Module, and remove it immediately. Then take it to a mechanic, put the fuse back in and have them extract codes.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The angle gear coupler is somewhat common to wear out. I doubt your DEM caused it, but it is theoretically possible. It didn't harm your front axles though.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:32 PM

The coupler on my car was wearing, but the DEM failure put the nail in its coffin. Its splines were completely stripped. And the DEM failure certainly ruined the axles. The clutch is much stronger than the CV joints, so they will always be the first thing to let go when the whole drivetrain is being twisted. Whenever the clutch locked up on a sealed road, the vibration was incredible.

Americanmarks needs to check for DEM codes right now, and remove the fuse for the DEM to stop it causing expensive mechanical damage.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the most common cause of that message is the clockspring. it is a mechanism that connects the electrical wiring on the steering wheel so wheel can turn without twisting the wires. there are other causes. there are probably 100 threads on this board about this message.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Had similar problem. There are different codes that could indicate what part of the system is the problem. It could be any of the following sensors, as far as I remember:

- wheel speed rings (ABS sensors)
- clock spring (includes integrated SteeringAngleSensor - SAS)
- yaw sensor (under passenger seat, senses sideways movement, i think?)
- steering wheel module (SWM) - what the SAS+clockspring fit into. Indicator stalks also plug into this.

You need the exact code as read by VIDA.

In my case, it was not the clockspring, but the SWM. I found a guy on CL that was parting an xc90, got the SWM (including both indicator stalks) and a driver's side door lock assembly for a total of $50 bucks.

Put them in, issue went away.

Prior to that, I spent $350 on a new clockspring, and $150 labor and 'programming' at a local indy shop, to be told that I have to do the SWM next...

Old 01-30-2017, 09:56 AM

Ive been having the anti skid issue for about 2 years now. BUT mine seems to work fine in the cooler weather. In snow the awd works, in the summer it does not work. In warm weather the notice pops up as soon as engine starts, in cooler weather i might drive a few miles before it pops up, or i can restart car and it will be fine the rest of the trip. Its very temperature effected which has me thinking it has something to do with the oil pump in the rear end. Its an 06 t5 with a 167k miles. My plan is to swap out hte rear diff with a $75 unit from the local salvage yard before pursuing dealers and code readers

Last edited by terryjr; 01-30-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 AM
Default Weather dependent

exact same issue on my 2008. Seems more prone on warmer weather or during short trips with short cool down times. Any update? Found a parted xc90 that might try a few things on this thread.
Originally Posted by terryjr
Ive been having the anti skid issue for about 2 years now. BUT mine seems to work fine in the cooler weather. In snow the awd works, in the summer it does not work. In warm weather the notice pops up as soon as engine starts, in cooler weather i might drive a few miles before it pops up, or i can restart car and it will be fine the rest of the trip. Its very temperature effected which has me thinking it has something to do with the oil pump in the rear end. Its an 06 t5 with a 167k miles. My plan is to swap out hte rear diff with a $75 unit from the local salvage yard before pursuing dealers and code readers

Old 02-27-2018, 05:27 AM

Nothing yet, I was going to replace the haldex but called Volvo and they have Volvo for life so first hour of diagnosis is free. So I want to setup an appointment to just have it scanned.

Originally Posted by Notamechanic78
exact same issue on my 2008. Seems more prone on warmer weather or during short trips with short cool down times. Any update? Found a parted xc90 that might try a few things on this thread.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:24 PM

I had the same with 2004 2.5t. Code was 0140. ended up being a sensor in the brake booster. Put a new brake boster in problem solved.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This is most likely the steering angle sensor which is incorporated in the vehicle's clock spring. The new part is about $300~ wholesale and requires calibration. You can install yourself but someone is going to have to calibrate the unit.

There is also a software download/update that goes with this but I have been told yes/no.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread. I've been facing this issue for a few years now. The car (2006 xc90) is worth maybe $5k at this point so I'm wary of chasing a potential fix when it could be anything.

A few people have mentioned that their mechanic chased one possible cause after another until finally figuring it out. Does that mean that if I bring the car in to be diagnosed the code that it returns could be a false positive?

I'm fine with trying to fix the issue if I know exactly what it is, but it seems like it's impossible to really pinpoint the issue.