Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 2016 XC90 owners out there

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

To do what exactly?

Old 08-05-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
To do what exactly?
To defend Volvo!

Old 08-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Not defending Volvo. The car has had a ton of bugs, no doubt. I'm just clarifying when people post misinformation.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T
Not defending Volvo. The car has had a ton of bugs, no doubt. I'm just clarifying when people post misinformation.
What was misinformation??? do you want me to upload pictures of service receipt?? or picture of Odometer being blank??

Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

I meant my posts in general.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:10 PM

My concern is heightened, hearing some of these stories.
But based on the $76K comment, are the XC90s with the major issues the twin engine 8 cylinder model? My T6 was a modest $50K range, nowhere near $76K.
I only ask for clarification.
Some of these responses are a little too heated for a forum exchange, just my opinion.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Most problems you'll see posted online won't be the T8, since it was released later than the T6.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by evguy
My concern is heightened, hearing some of these stories.
But based on the $76K comment, are the XC90s with the major issues the twin engine 8 cylinder model? My T6 was a modest $50K range, nowhere near $76K.
I only ask for clarification.
Some of these responses are a little too heated for a forum exchange, just my opinion.
Mine is T6 too except I am from Canada so after tax it comes to 76K CAD.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSurferID
Mine is T6 too except I am from Canada so after tax it comes to 76K CAD.
Thanks for clarifying.
We just turned 2,000 miles in our1st 2 months with our XC90-T6 and I'm already developing a love/hate relationship. I love so much about the vehicle, but little annoyances persist. Several times when getting gas and re-entering the vehicle it does not recognize that the key is in the vehicle. A couple times I simply picked up the key and waved it around and it recognized it. Today I had to open the door and step out and get back in, thenit recognized it. And the Apple Car Play is driving me nuts. Twice it has stopped playing music for no apparent reason in the middle of a playlist and will not recognize my iPhone connected thru the USB. Frustrating technology issues!

Old 08-08-2016, 03:55 PM

Purchased a new 2016 XC 90 Inscription in October of 2016, our first Volvo. In the nine months and 9,800 miles we have owned it, it has been in the shop twice for software updates, twice for the air conditioning system not operating and left my wife stranded on the side of the interstate when all of the gauges went black and lost power. All I ever heard about Volvo vehicles is how safe and reliable they are. That is obviously not the case with this vehicle. For all of the safety features this vehicle comes equipped with, there are few things more unsafe than leaving a woman on the side of the interstate in New Orleans. It is in the shop now, waiting on an email from headquarters on a repair plan. Go figure. $70,000 for a car and they can't make a phone call. Customer Service is even better. They'll have a follow up in 3 business days.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM

I asked the dealer about updates, and it seems that the dealer has been getting quarterly software updates, are folks seeing these updates and are they making the car better?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 PM

Really horrible situation as I'm pretty sure no one signed up for this..was anyone able to get their money back?

Last edited by brownhead@hotmail.com; 08-18-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 AM
Unhappy Same issues and more!

We took delivery of our 2016 XC-90 in September of 2015, and we have had ALL of the same issues that have been listed in this thread. Computer glitches, leaking sunroof, side mirrors not folding out when starting car, display screen malfunction, back-up camera malfunctions, windshield leaks, etc... We have had ours back in the shop over 10 times for various issues. To be fair, the dealer has always handled each issue with professionalism, contacting Volvo to get instructions, fixing each issue, giving us a loaner car while ours is in the shop. However, the latest issue came up when my wife was driving the car, and the engine icon lit up orange. The car started to sputter and could not get past 45 mph on the freeway. When we took it in, they ran the diagnostics, and determined that a couple of the spark plugs were bad. They replaced them, and sent us on our way. A day later, the engine icon lit up orange again, so we took it back to the Volvo dealer. This time, they ran diagnostics, sent it to Volvo, and it turns out that a valve spring was cracked. To fix it, they had to order the new parts and once delivered, re-build the top end of the engine. The dealer explained that once complete, we would have a brand new top half of the engine. After waiting two weeks, the dealer called and said that the work had been done, but that while they were running the car to verify that everything was good, they discovered that the cam carrier (inside the top end of the engine that was re-built) was cracked and leaking fuel! They said that it would require a complete rebuild of the top end of the engine again! So we are now 21 days without our BRAND NEW XC-90, and they are again waiting for parts to make these latest repairs. We aren't sure what to do b/c the dealer has been pretty great, but we're wondering what is going to happen to this car next. We are bummed that we have experienced so many problems, and wished that we would have purchased a different vehicle now.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 PM

I just purchased a brand new XC90 on Weds 8/24/16 and 15 mins after leaving the dealership, a slew of warning lights popped up on my dash. It starts with a parking brake disabled, Airbag light and then the check engine light. Even the air conditioner was barely blowing any air out and I set it to max AC. I took the car back to the dealer the next morning and it's still there as of today hopefully getting all the issues fixed. Talk about a new car experience completely ruined after 15 mins of owning it. I've had possession of the loaner longer than my actual car. I'm sure I could've bought a new car half the price and it would last over 15 mins without any problems.

edit: It's a 2016 Momentum T6

Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Default Terrifying!

Hello. We leased a 2016 xc90 in October of 2015. Within a month it was back at the dealers for electrical black-outs. Short ones at first then they became longer and longer. The dealership said it was software updates and I'd never see that happen again. A month later I was back at the dealer, same issue but now the black-outs were longer. So long that I had to pull over and restart the car or park on the shade (hot summer in socal)to give the car 15-20 mins to reset itself. As the electrical blacks out, the a/c goes out as well. My 2 girls (5 yrs old and 1 yr old) are strapped into car seats in the back seat and turning bright red from the 110 degreee temp.
Same thing... a software update. Maybe even issues caused by plugging in my iPhone and connecting to ApplePlay. So the second time I took the car in for the black-outs they keep it for 5days and tell me, again, it'll never happen again. They really can't say why it's happening, but it's fine now. It continues to happen for the next few months but not as bad as before.
3 weeks ago I'm exiting a very busy fwy in Los Angeles and as I get to the bottom of the offramp, the car goes black and dies. It started with the camera fading when I first started the car on that journey. The screen started blacking out when I was still on the fwy. I didn't think it would make the entire car malfunction as it had been happening the entire time I've had the car.
I had my 2 little girls in the car with me. Cars were slamming on their breaks to avoid hitting us. I couldn't even exit the car and get my girlies out because of how many cars were swerving around us and how fast they were coming.
The dealership has had the car for 3 weeks now and again, no diagnosis. I refuse to put my children back in that car, and tonight they've said we want our loaner back. "Your car is in perfect condition."
Perhaps they can drive they're children around in this car for a few months.
I've hired An attorney to help with this.

*if you're having electrical issues- be careful. It can be very dangerous.
Good luck.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Default Issues with my 2016 XC90

I purchased 2 Volvos in April of 2016. A CPO 2016 XC60 T5 AWD (my wife's vehicle) and my Momentum Plus XC90 T6 AWD with Climate (HUD), Convenience, and Towing. I considered buying an Audi A7. My sister's has been in the shop way more than my XC90. While I have had some of the issues... dead instrument cluster and windshield wiper failure (although sensing wipers continued to function), both issues were said to be software related. I currently have 14,438 miles (I have taken just 1 out of state MD to SC trip)... so I believe I am a daily power driver. I love this SUV. I have owned a Mercedes, 3 BMWs (740, 850, 325), 2 Lexus, 2 Jeeps, 5 Fords (Explorers), and 2 Hondas over my life time. I traded a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited on this vehicle. The issues are not desired, but somewhat expected in a first release year redesigned vehicle. I do not appreciate being a "non paid beta tester" as another poster stated, but this vehicle is the precursor to the driverless Volvo. Sweden has not given the US dealerships the requisite understanding to accurately diagnose/program the features on this futuristic car. I am fortunate that my technician has been able to communicate with the manufacturer, and he has been able to reprogram some of my problematic concerns. I have been driving an error free vehicle for over two months (+7,500 miles) now, and I am presently complaint free. My wife's XC60... beautiful. This is my first foray into the Volvo line, and I am considering a 2006 V50 T5 AWD for my 17 year old freshman college student. I will probably trade this XC90 in two years on a new XC90.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Default 2017 XC90 Momentum Plus

Hi, first time I write here.
First of all thanks for all your infos and thanks for sharing your experience...
I'm about to get my new 2017 XC90 Momentum T6 plus with few packages included (clima, vision, climate...)
I'm been driving a T6 Momentum while waiting for mine, and so far everything looks good.
No issues at all and hopefully I won't have.
I heard that Volvo released lot of updates recently so everything should be ok.
I was just wondering if all the issues you had have been fixed ??
Did they gave you a full explanation / details ??

Thanks !!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:45 PM

Hello. No details or explanation as to why the car malfunctioned. Techs had it for 6 weeks and just couldn't figure out the problem. Seems the "updates" reason has been used quite a bit with Volvo. We have hired a lemon Law attorney to handle the situation. Volvo has just agreed to buy back the car. There was an issue with the sun roof not making some kind of connection thus causing the battery to die in the 2016 & 2017's. That however was not the issue with my 2016. I drove a 2017 loaner from the dealership and didn't experience any issues. I drove it for about 6 weeks. I'm not sure what area you are in, but if it's So Cal, I'd avoid any business with Galpin Volvo. They were unethical and violated many business laws when handling my situation. Volvo of N. America main office was superb. Can locate them online if needed. Best of luck

Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Default Tell me more!

Originally Posted by Fd2di4
Volvo stepped up to the plate and replaced the lemon XC 90 Momentum with exact same car as Lemon except the color and the vision pkg. They did the right thing but it was a monumental hassle and had to jump through lots of hoops.
I cant get them to the table on a reasonable lemon law buyback they are charging me a $1 a mile for use. Any info would be appreciated!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:15 AM

We have just began the buy back process with a 3rd party company (that Volvo selected) so far just getting the financial info from Volvo has been impossible. We have decided to hire a Lemon Law attorney. He is going take over from here. I will definitely keep you posted along the way. I've tried contacting several news outlets but have not been able to get a response as of yet. Such a dangerous issue should be addressed.

Quick Reply: Any 2016 XC90 owners out there