Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any 2016 XC90 owners out there

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 2016 XC90 owners out there

While we love the car (while it worked), we have had nothing but trouble with it. Currently it has been in the shop 14 days for various malfunctions including an airbag malfunction warning, headlamp malfunction warning, driver support malfunction warning, and city safety system malfunction. The backup camera won't even work. I'm just wondering if there are any other 2016 XC90 owners out there and if so, what has your experience been like? I have been in contact with Volvo Customer Care and the dealer seems like they are doing everything they can to get things right. They currently have parts on order to try and get the car to communicate with the dealers computers as they think it's a software issue.

2016 XC90 Inscription
Vision Package
Climate Package
Convenience Package
Bowers and Wilkins Stereo
4 corner air suspension

Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

So far, these have been a nightmare. The computers we use can rarely communicate reliably with the new XC90. And we are at the mercy of Volvo with regard to repairs. Meaning we have to submit a case to them and wait for them to tell us what to do to fix it. Very, very glitchy so far.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:38 PM

Hi,

Just purchased a 2016 XC90, and am experiencing many of the issues you've mentioned.
It has been 3 times to the shop for fixes, which all seems like software bug.
Rear-camera, all camera intermittently working. Mute button, phone connection etc.

There's lots of cool features there, but my fear is that the software wasn't thoroughly tested.
As you've mentioned, the dealer is doing all it can to help and fix the issues, but the level of work needed here should go directly to Volvo.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:11 PM

Looking at buying one - few questions for you.

I've test driven it and really like it but
a) cup holders in all places seem really small - like they would only fit a 12 oz can and not a larger gatorade container or just about anything. ?? Front and center row 2 mostly?
2) Does it have any sort of anti-roll brake system - as in if your foot slips off the brake while in traffic, will it hold you there without moving? I know it has hill assist but what about just on level ground?

General feelings - recommend or against? The nav seemed really easy to use. Does it receive text messages from iphones on the screen/instrument bezel?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by sbibla
Hi,

Just purchased a 2016 XC90, and am experiencing many of the issues you've mentioned.
It has been 3 times to the shop for fixes, which all seems like software bug.
Rear-camera, all camera intermittently working. Mute button, phone connection etc.

There's lots of cool features there, but my fear is that the software wasn't thoroughly tested.
As you've mentioned, the dealer is doing all it can to help and fix the issues, but the level of work needed here should go directly to Volvo.
We just got ours back, it was in the shop for 20 days. Keep good track of all your paperwork and make sure they are generating an invoice every time you bring the car in. They fixed the issues we were having and the car seems ok at the moment but I agree with you regarding the software. It seems like they just put it out there and thought "we'll fix it later". Have you noticed that the driver memory key doesn't even work yet? I was told that's coming in a future release of the software. It will unlock the car and all there is just no support for individual driver settings like memory seat settings, radio presets, a/c, etc. I feel like I was sold a not-so-thoroughly tested and incomplete car. We were never told in any part of the sales process that the memory key function wasn't activated yet. Every other luxury car maker has this setup and it should have been working from day one. I have asked them to throw in the extended warranty for our troubles. Also, make sure you are in contact with Volvo Customer Care (the 800 #). They will help the process along.

One more gripe, we got the climate package that comes with the heated windshield and there are vertical filament lines running through the whole windshield. This causes glare at night and is just simply distracting. The demo we drove prior to ordering didn't have that package on it and had I know that I probably wouldn't have ordered it. Why would Volvo think this was a good idea? For a company with repuation for safety I'm surprised they Ok'd this.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:29 AM

I forgot to add that they had to replace the Vehicle Communications Module and a fuse box and then the dealership was able to update the software and resolve the issues we were having. The VCM had to come from Sweden.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:10 AM

I posted this to the SwedeSpeed forum and I figured I'd post it here as well. Mine has had various issues that have been annoying such as the B&W speakers vibrating in the door panels, the seat adjustment screen popping up randomly all the time and random software errors happen occasionally.

That being said, I have pretty much forgotten about these issues because my car has now been into the dealer twice for water leaking into the rear cabin and soaking the rear 1/3rd of the headliner, which also left streaks and moisture around the B&W speakers, which I'm sure are damaged. This has occurred to others on the forum, and one was actually diagnosed as a faulty sunroof drain, however Volvo corporate has neglected to communicate with dealerships regarding this issue, and so my dealership is in the dark and doesn't have a clue.

Name:  3SyrfFH.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  2.30 MB

Name:  PRQruIG.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  iyyZLrC.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  2.14 MB

Name:  EJu5Q4W.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  23.3 KB

Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 PM

Wow, sorry to hear you're having water leaking into the cabin. I also have seen the passenger seat movement screen pop up at random times and that is annoying and seemingly for no reason. I'll keep an eye out for the other issues as well. Keep us posted on the resolution that you receive.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I am about to pull the trigger on a fully loaded Inscription model. I have been hesitant because I don't really want the Urban Trim package ($5810) or the Booster Seat ($250). I am also indifferent about the Bowers & Wilkins stereo ($2650) as I'm not real thrilled with the CD player taking up space in the console. The voice button is not working and the dealer has assured me that will be fixed, which I trust that he will. A little voice is making me concerned that this is already having problems. Now I'm wondering if I should start looking at other vehicles. I am so sorry for all of your issues, and hope they are remedied soon.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 AM

We had another issue today and agaim i think its software related. My wife got into the car and mistakenly forgot her key. The car started up and allowed her to drive away. She got a message about a locking system malfunction and the doors would not lock. She ended up turning around and coming back home to get her key. I would imagine if she would have gotten to work and turned the car off she would have been stranded. When she got home and took her key with her the message about the locking system went away. There is no reason the car should have let her drive away. Neither key was ever within 10ft of the vehicle. I'll be reporting it and let you all know what I find out.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:38 PM
wjf

Hello, first time poster here. I recently took delivery of a diesel momentum level model. I got it late August (in Europe) but its been with the dealer since mid September due to a serious incident I had when the city safety activate while I was on a motorway in morning traffic. After braking the car sat dead on the road and wouldn't move until I put it back to park (this was on a busy motorway in rush hour traffic remember) and then drive and then it moved. This was in intense rain and poor visibility. It was a miracle the cars and trucks behind me didn't have a massive pile up.

Volvo ran checks and tell me city safety worked correctly (I disagree), but worryingly they say they cant tell why the car subsequently wouldn't move as they cant recreate the incident and they won't investigate further, end of.

Dealer service has been hit and miss, it's a mainly ford dealer, they gave me a baseline Mondeo as a replacement, which didn't impress me and have now told me to take my car away or they will start charging me storage.

As long as they cannot explain the incident in full I am not satisfied the car is safe to drive.

Has anyone with a new XC90 had a similar issue?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by wjf
Hello, first time poster here. I recently took delivery of a diesel momentum level model. I got it late August (in Europe) but its been with the dealer since mid September due to a serious incident I had when the city safety activate while I was on a motorway in morning traffic. After braking the car sat dead on the road and wouldn't move until I put it back to park (this was on a busy motorway in rush hour traffic remember) and then drive and then it moved. This was in intense rain and poor visibility. It was a miracle the cars and trucks behind me didn't have a massive pile up.

Volvo ran checks and tell me city safety worked correctly (I disagree), but worryingly they say they cant tell why the car subsequently wouldn't move as they cant recreate the incident and they won't investigate further, end of.

Dealer service has been hit and miss, it's a mainly ford dealer, they gave me a baseline Mondeo as a replacement, which didn't impress me and have now told me to take my car away or they will start charging me storage.

As long as they cannot explain the incident in full I am not satisfied the car is safe to drive.

Has anyone with a new XC90 had a similar issue?
Me, me me! I was driving in rain a few days ago and the car behind me hit a puddle and splashed water on the front of my car. The red collision warning lights came on along with the super loud beeping and scared the bejeezus out of me. Regardless if these issues are "widespread" or not, this car has some SERIOUS problems.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Default No issues

Hopefully there are some out there with no issues? Or is everyone a problem? I just ordered one and I already have buyers remorse.

Update: Took delivery of an R Design on 12/19/15 and really impressed. Quite a vehicle - 10 steps ahead our 2007.

Last edited by tpop; 01-17-2016 at 07:08 PM. Reason: updatre
Old 12-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by cv640driver
We had another issue today and agaim i think its software related. My wife got into the car and mistakenly forgot her key. The car started up and allowed her to drive away. She got a message about a locking system malfunction and the doors would not lock. She ended up turning around and coming back home to get her key. I would imagine if she would have gotten to work and turned the car off she would have been stranded. When she got home and took her key with her the message about the locking system went away. There is no reason the car should have let her drive away. Neither key was ever within 10ft of the vehicle. I'll be reporting it and let you all know what I find out.
My wife has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I dropped her off at work and didn't realize she had the Key FOB with her until I got home. We had a spare at home, so no issue returning, but I did make it home without a key.

Also, I took the car to the dealer for work. I pushed the start button without depressing the brake to select the ACC to see the milage for the tech. I exited the car with the Key FOB in my pocket and while I was filling out the paperwork, one of the garage staff got in and started the Jeep without a key in the vehicle and drove off. Sure would hate to see this happen at a 7-11 with the kids in the car while they are listening to the stereo.

Could be a Key FOB issue?

Narvon

PS - I'm here to get insight on 2016 XC90. Almost pulled the trigger on a white R-Design last week. I've been following information and teasers since late 2013.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:02 PM

Hi! I took delivery of my Inscription loaded with everything except air suspension a week ago. I'm sorry to hear the problems others have had. I haven't experienced any of the issues described. Over the last few days I've also done all my driving in some heavy rain. I'm quite enjoying the car and I hope I continue to have good luck with it.

For those that have had problems, how long after you got the car did they start?

Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Volvo has released a software update package that addresses many of the issues people have been facing. Luckily, the equipment we use to communicate with the car has also started responding a lot more reliably. XC90's that are being delivered now should have a lot fewer issues.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Default Issues as well with 2016

Initially, we had what we thought were minor issues involving the Volvo application not reflecting the correct status of the car and the Center screen and control screens momentarily blanking out twice (notice that only happened when navigation was in use) and after the second time the screens would reload. Two weeks ago this happened however, after it reloaded we smelled a weird odor and then smoke started bellowing out from the center console screen. We turned the unit off and went to the nearest Volvo Dealership. The car was in shop for two weeks and while they have updated software the car in the interim has a battery drain that Volvo North America indicated was software related . I was called yesterday and told my car was ready only to drive out to the dealership get in the vehicle and see an error message indicating low battery charge. I am so frustrated. I have spoken to Volvo but to me if there was smoke and not a little bit there is hardware damage and no one seems to be able to figure out what is wrong with the car. I have had the vehicle a little over two months and this is unacceptable

Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM
wjf

Originally Posted by janey99
Hi! I took delivery of my Inscription loaded with everything except air suspension a week ago. I'm sorry to hear the problems others have had. I haven't experienced any of the issues described. Over the last few days I've also done all my driving in some heavy rain. I'm quite enjoying the car and I hope I continue to have good luck with it.

For those that have had problems, how long after you got the car did they start?
In my case two weeks...

Old 12-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Ours will start up and allow you to drive off without the key fob. My wife has already been stranded once and I had to bring her the key. I just tested it again and got in the car without the key and the car started right up. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow but this seems like another software issue to me. Beware.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:26 PM

This thread scares me. I just placed an order for a new 2016 XC90. I saw Janey99 hasnt had the problems that others in this thread have had, any others without major issues?

thanks

Quick Reply: Any 2016 XC90 owners out there