Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing your alternator? READ!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changing your alternator? READ!!

I am a mechanic who specializes in European cars. One of my customers bought a 2005 XC90 last year, and during routine maintenance several months ago, I noticed a noise coming from the belt area. It turned out to be the bearings in the alternator. Since it wasn't on the verge of immediate failure, the customer elected to wait until the noise started to get worse before having me replace it. Anyhow... the time for replacement came, and I ordered a new alternator from my usual parts supplier. Installation went fine... until I started the car. The charge/ battery light came on about 10 seconds after startup, along with a warning on the information center. I shut off the car and checked the connections... all was fine. I ran charging system tests... everything was working- proper voltage, somewhat low amperage, but that's not unusual for a fresh alternator, as the brushes have to wear- in a little. Seemed fine otherwise. After racking my brain, and those of some Volvo experts, (Including tech!) I decided that there was a problem with the alternator's communication with the ECU. So, I exchanged the unit, which was my supplier's "house" brand, with a Bosch reman alternator. Installed it... exact same problem! Finally, after screwing around with it again, I ended up sending the customer to a Volvo dealership. They used the car for about 3 weeks before finally taking the car in- with absolutely no trouble whatsoever, aside from the warning light/ message. When they finally took the car in, the dealership performed tests, and found that while voltage was correct, amperage was somewhat high. They removed the alternator, and found that the voltage regulator was the wrong type. It was for a 2004 and earlier XC90, and was self- regulating. The 2005 and newer models use a computer- controlled regulator. I called my parts supplier, and found that the alternator they sold me, Bosch P/N "AL0820X," was indeed listed in the paper catalog for almost ALL Volvo 5- cylinder cars from 1999 to 2007. Upon calling several other parts stores, I discovered that all of them listed the same P/N... except FCPgroton. They showed another P/N, "AL0854X." When I tried to get that unit from a local parts store, no one had it even available. Finally, I called Bosch tech support, and the person there said that AL0820X used to be the number they specified for the 05 and newer vehicles, but that they were "running into issues" with it on those cars, so now there's a different P/N (with the correct regulator.) The problem is- this is a totally new application, and NO ONE has it available. FCPgroton has it on back- order, with an expected arrival date in April, but that was revised last Monday, when it was supposed to have been in. I ended up replacing the alternator with one from Volvo, at much higher cost. Now, 2 months and 3 alternator replacements later, the car is working as intended. So... the point of this long- winded post? If you have a need to replace the alternator in a 2005 or newer XC90 2.5T, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE to get the right one. Most parts stores' catalogs and computers, as of right now, show the older alternator as being the correct one, but it's not! It will work... kind of... but it will erratically supply too much or too little current, which WILL lead to premature battery failure. Fortunately, it doesn't overcharge voltage- wise, as that could cause damage to other systems. The correct Bosch P/N (if you have the 140A alternator) is AL0854X (or "N" in place of the X if you want a brand- new unit) This is a brand- new application, and the only place I've found, after several hours of searching, that actually lists it is FCPgroton... who at this moment can't actually GET it(!) Hopefully, you won't need a new alternator this early on on a 2005 or newer model, but if you do... I hope this will save you the aggravation that this example of "overconsolidation" on the part of parts suppliers has caused.

The following 2 users liked this post by Carrots:
KavoTheGodd (05-27-2022), Parkwooddad (08-25-2023)
Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great post and good to know. Thanks for your time and efforts for sharing that with us. I hope that your client realizes how good their mechanic is :-))

The following users liked this post:
Parkwooddad (08-25-2023)
Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Carrots
I am a mechanic who specializes in European cars. One of my customers bought a 2005 XC90 last year, and during routine maintenance several months ago, I noticed a noise coming from the belt area. It turned out to be the bearings in the alternator. Since it wasn't on the verge of immediate failure, the customer elected to wait until the noise started to get worse before having me replace it. Anyhow... the time for replacement came, and I ordered a new alternator from my usual parts supplier. Installation went fine... until I started the car. The charge/ battery light came on about 10 seconds after startup, along with a warning on the information center. I shut off the car and checked the connections... all was fine. I ran charging system tests... everything was working- proper voltage, somewhat low amperage, but that's not unusual for a fresh alternator, as the brushes have to wear- in a little. Seemed fine otherwise. After racking my brain, and those of some Volvo experts, (Including tech!) I decided that there was a problem with the alternator's communication with the ECU. So, I exchanged the unit, which was my supplier's "house" brand, with a Bosch reman alternator. Installed it... exact same problem! Finally, after screwing around with it again, I ended up sending the customer to a Volvo dealership. They used the car for about 3 weeks before finally taking the car in- with absolutely no trouble whatsoever, aside from the warning light/ message. When they finally took the car in, the dealership performed tests, and found that while voltage was correct, amperage was somewhat high. They removed the alternator, and found that the voltage regulator was the wrong type. It was for a 2004 and earlier XC90, and was self- regulating. The 2005 and newer models use a computer- controlled regulator. I called my parts supplier, and found that the alternator they sold me, Bosch P/N "AL0820X," was indeed listed in the paper catalog for almost ALL Volvo 5- cylinder cars from 1999 to 2007. Upon calling several other parts stores, I discovered that all of them listed the same P/N... except FCPgroton. They showed another P/N, "AL0854X." When I tried to get that unit from a local parts store, no one had it even available. Finally, I called Bosch tech support, and the person there said that AL0820X used to be the number they specified for the 05 and newer vehicles, but that they were "running into issues" with it on those cars, so now there's a different P/N (with the correct regulator.) The problem is- this is a totally new application, and NO ONE has it available. FCPgroton has it on back- order, with an expected arrival date in April, but that was revised last Monday, when it was supposed to have been in. I ended up replacing the alternator with one from Volvo, at much higher cost. Now, 2 months and 3 alternator replacements later, the car is working as intended. So... the point of this long- winded post? If you have a need to replace the alternator in a 2005 or newer XC90 2.5T, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE to get the right one. Most parts stores' catalogs and computers, as of right now, show the older alternator as being the correct one, but it's not! It will work... kind of... but it will erratically supply too much or too little current, which WILL lead to premature battery failure. Fortunately, it doesn't overcharge voltage- wise, as that could cause damage to other systems. The correct Bosch P/N (if you have the 140A alternator) is AL0854X (or "N" in place of the X if you want a brand- new unit) This is a brand- new application, and the only place I've found, after several hours of searching, that actually lists it is FCPgroton... who at this moment can't actually GET it(!) Hopefully, you won't need a new alternator this early on on a 2005 or newer model, but if you do... I hope this will save you the aggravation that this example of "overconsolidation" on the part of parts suppliers has caused.
thanks for sharing - now I have a 07 - xc90 - and I need to know where the emergency shut off valve is - the one for in case of accident. ? a customer who has their car at home had an accident and now their car won't start - any help here is appreciated - - can you help? Please send the answer to riceski@gmail.com - also I need any online repair manual that is free for my coustomers - -man you are one of the best.
Thanks
Gary Rice

Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really, thanks! You're the best!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is no "inertia switch" like they use in fords, on volvos. there is other problems with no start.

If you want the right alternator with no problems, the dealer can assist with that.

I have seen these messages with non-oem alternators and they run fine, so far...

Last edited by SVTfocusO3; 05-01-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Help, I need to change my alternator, whats the best way to attack it.
And I did have it tested at a shop and its dead.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM

wow.....I have a 05 v50 non-turbo, and have exactly the same problem-battery light/Red urgent power mssg....had the alternator remanned, but evidently wrong regulator was placed in it----additionally, the DEALER cannot even order the regulator-it's not available !, I am going to look at the FCPgroton site and see if they might have one available...otherwise I am of a mind to call Swedishautoparts.com to see if an alternator cooresponding to my vin/etc will be available, and work(!?)---MO' LATER!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM

What a nightmare! You would make a great detective, but we need competent mechanics even more so. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Well, I finally got a new remanned alternator from Volvo (ordered by my mechanic, so I got 10% off Volvo dealership cost)...since then NO trouble with alternator, and after the air mass meter debaucle was solved, I am now pleased to report my 2005 V50 is running like a gem ....a beauty.....now to get this issue with crappy low beam headlights amended. lol

Old 05-31-2013, 01:01 PM

Just like to say thank you, a great thread that has really helped me understand an issue with a 2005 XC90.
Hopefully things have moved on and I can get the correct alternator fitted as I think the wrong one has been fitted

Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Default Same alternator problem with my 05 V50

Carrots is correct, as I found the exact same problem on my V50 (2005), the part ( I thought it was a modulator) that communicates with the computer is just not available to the public, I even escalated this question to Volvo of north America=same answer. I had mine re-manned-dash lights were on w/warnings....ordered 2 remanned units from separate used auto companies-same problem. They appeared to function (battery did not die, but red dash lights/batt light remained on)....ONLY after getting the alternator from dealer was the problem resolved- been working great since then-some 8 months ago. (***a tip===The dealership here in Maplewood, Mn. offers mechanics here a 20% discount on parts, so, had my man get the discount, I paid and picked up the part-he passed the 20% discount on to me.....on a $700+ alternator, this came down to the $580 range=expensive, but better than the full tilt $).

***If I add cargo area speakers to my (non-surround) stereo system in this car....anyone know if I will run into trouble (wattage, etc) ???

Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 AM

I am an owner of a 2005 s40i 2.4l (100,000 miles) and my alternator died. I brought it to a friend that works at a shop and he tested the battery and the alternator and it was clear that the problem was the alternator.

First, this happened shortly after I plugged in a radar detector. I was wondering if this may be the problem. I also have had an automatic starter kit installed within the last year.

Secondly, I'm not a mechanic so when I read some of these posts I can recognize some parts that people talk about but some I can't. I plan on removing the old alternator and installing the new one. There have been a few posts with pictures and they have really helped. So I was wondering if anyone has pictures for reference while I'm doing this or if anyone knows of a site I can go to so that I can see detailed pictures.

Thanks

Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Default Charging system warning message

Thanks for the original message, I have had the same situation on the S-40 that I recently purchased. I will take the advise and let you know the outcome. Like you said everything checks out with the testing but the message reappears periodically.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Default Snap!!

Mine did the same thing..replaced the alt no luck put on another new one same thing? took it to reputable shop they said CEM was not communicating? so i sent it in twice...no luck...now i know the problem..Thanks..

Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 AM

I just replaced my alternator. I have a 2007 s60 2.5t. It is the 140 amp alt. I went to autozone trying to save money. $180 verses $650. I installed the duralst alt from autozone and it threw a code immediately. I went to volvo sold them one of my kids and installed a new oem alt and it works perfectly. The problem is reman alternators do not sweep 75-140 amps. The OEM units do. Volvo a are very sensitive!
This is a very easy do it yourself job. Look at my other posts with instruction on how to replace your alternator.
To remove the first alternator took me two hours figuring things out. The second install took me 30 minutes.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Default warning: charging system failure

Thanks for the great post on the charging system....and since my S40 was giving me the message of "charging system failure", I checked the alt/battery etc. and found nothing wrong with any of it. I discovered a small white wire at the alt site, with a faulty contact. (the plastic had melted and was not holding the wire in proper contact. After repair, I have never had the charging system failure message again. It always helps to check even the smallest detail.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Default 05' xc90 with a 160 amp alternator. Similar question

I had work done at euro-werks in Winchester. They replaced the alternator with an AL0832X and I got the red battery light and electrical system urgent warning. They fault the alternator and want to put in another of the same type. But Is it the wrong alternator or the wrong voltage regulator? Wondering how to get a part that works without paying 666.07 retail + install labor costs

Old 02-13-2015, 08:20 PM

if I can find the correct alternator for my 05 s40t is is difficult to replace?

Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM

2008 XC90 Volvo mechanic (non dealer) said alternator was fine and within specs however 4 Auto Zone tests say the alternator is bad as well as my personal mechanic who recommended taking it to a Volvo shop. I replaced the 7year old battery 180,000 miles (not bad I think) and Auto Zone tester still comes up bad. Over a month with the new battery with no codes or charging issues???? Dealer wants $140 to hook up their tester, is it really that specific. And yes the Volvo mechanic and Auto Zone checked it (on the same day) 30 days / 500+ miles after the new battery and came up with opposing results. The Volvo Mechanic seemed to really know his stuff however I need the peace of mind.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The alternator cannot be fully checked by AutoZone. You need VIDA to test it at all temperatures.

Quick Reply: Changing your alternator? READ!!