Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo XC90
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 05:49 AM

Default Engine System Service Required

The Engine System Service Required message came up on our XC90 last night as my wife was leaving work.

Can anyone tell me what it means or point me in the direction to getting rid of it?

It's an '05 XC-90 V-8 AWD, mileage 65,271.

Thanks in advance

7/3 followup... after resetting the message several times, it stoppedbeing displayed.

Any ideas anyone? Second request... thanks.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Engine System Service Required

Guess I shoulda done a reply instead of an edit to bring this back to the top of the list... either way, still looking for some help....

after we reset the console message "Engine Service Required" several times, it stoppedbeing displayed.

Any ideas anyone? Second request... thanks. I just hate those warnings that pop up and then go away.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

You need to have the codes pulled from the computer.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks Tech. I am just on the way out of town, but will have those codes pulled after I get back mid-week next week, and then post what I find.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM

Hi again Tech. I finally got to a parts store and had the codes checked today. There was nothing there..

There were (2) P0171 and (1) P0174 codes there, BUT... I believe those were from today, when I drove the XC90 back to the parts store with the air filter not installed, so I could show them the air filter size I actually need. (I tightened the cover back down and drove it 4 miles this way.) These two codes are left bank and right bank running too lean. I believe these came from the air filter being not installed. I also got a check engine light on the way home from the parts store the first time, and I had them clear it when I went back a short time later after I re-installed the old filter. (Waiting for the correct new one now…)

Back to the original problem, I still don't know why the message center would have come up with an Engine System Service required at the end of June, and never came back after a day or two.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Their scanner might not read the codes you need it to read. Most of the time the generic scanners cannot read all the codes in the system.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 AM

Thanks tech. I think we'll let this one go. The parts store guy cleared the codes yesterday, so even if they didn't appear on the scanner a master clear would have wiped out anything in the buffer.

My guess(?) is that is wastimed message intended to appear around 60K miles as a major service interval advisory and to get it to the dealer? It's the only thing I can think of since the message went away after 3-4 days and never came back on.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

It would have nothing to do with the service. It might have been an O2 sensor heater code and the heater is working now. Try this. Press and hold the READ button with the car running.Then press and release the rear foglight button 2 times fast and release the read button. It will say checking for codes in the window. Use the read button to scroll through the modules and see what has codes. It doesn't give codes but only tells what modules have them.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Thanks again Tech. I'll be back at the parts store to get the corrctair filter later this week. I'll print your procedure outand ask the store clerk to go through this with me while I'm there, since I don't have my own OBD2. Once I get that info I'll write again.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 AM

Hi Tech,

I was at the parts store on Saturday, but they once again got the wrong filter for me. I was so frustrated I just left, and never got them to check on the codes.

When I get the air filter situation sorted out (see my new separate post on the part numbers issues) and go pick it up I'll have the clerk check codes again to see what modules have given codes recently.

Note also that Engine Service Message in the console has never come back again since it came up a few times and we reset itback in June.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 AM

Tags
90, clear, engine, message, required, reset, s60, s80, service, system, v50, volvo, warning, xc, xc90