Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front end clicking noise in suspension or steering?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end clicking noise in suspension or steering?

Hi Guys,would appreciate some help,i have 04 T6 and have a front end clickng noise when entering driveways and hitting potholes.So far i have replaced control arm bushes,stabilizer and link rods but noise still there. Struts have tested OK and it seems to me toresonate through the steering? Maybe tie rod ends or inner tie rods or even lower ball joints, i think these are my next step.I have read something somewhere about steering yoke adjustment but not sure what this is or what is involved.....

Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: front end clicking noise in suspension or steering?

Spring seats are good?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Yep,sorry forgot to mention i replaced them too.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

I would check the tierods,balljoints,and enigne mounts.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM

i did notice a crack in the top engine mount that nearly goes all the way around. The reason i think tie rods may be the next step is i also have trouble centreing the steering wheel when i have alignments done and the tech said after he drove around the block the alignment setting were out again. So perhaps the noise is related to play in tie rods. Thanks from australia for your comments tech.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Very possible but he should have inspected them before doing the alignment.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 AM

I have a clicking noise on mine as well ('04 AWD). It is intermittent (sometimes goes for a day without any noise and then other times is constant). Per my mechanic, who only works on Volvos and owns an '04 XC-90 AWD, the noise is coming from the front joint of the drive shaft. It is a known "weakness" in the vehicle and the joint cannot easily be rebuilt or repaired (although I think there may be a few shops around that will rebuild it) - it requires replacement of the drive shaft. He had one vehicle come in that was purchased by the owner about 6 months prior - when he got it on the lift, it was missing the drive shaft (essentially making it an FWD) - presumably it could be sold without the ticking noise!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM

After replacing every conceivable part in the front end i think it has turned out to be in the steering rack. I just did tie rod ends and inner tie rods and its definately better but noise is still there under certain bump angles. If i hold the tie rod and have someone rock the steering wheel i get a distinct clunk in rack somewhere.....the chase continues

Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM

I also have an 04 T6 awd that does the same thing although not as severe as you describe but it does make funny noises when i pul into the driveway...

Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM

There is a TSB on this, the TSB looks like more of a problem when you are sitting and turn the wheel quickly in one direction, but i found that it applies to turning while moving as well. The steering rack yoke needs to be adjusted, if you can get the car to show the problem while up on the lift, you will see the steering rack 'pop' when you turn the wheel, it almost looks like a gear in the steering rack gear box is shot. This is a design flaw, and cannot be fully repaired. But the dealer can adjust so that the symptoms are very minimal. The adjustments are actually between the yoke, steering gear box, and believe it or not, strut mounts.

Show the dealer the TSB, tell them to fix, it cost me $80.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 AM

hi , my 99 awd xc had the same problem , my cv,s are worn , top strut bearings , tie rods shot , and wheel bearings are on there way , but i parked with my off side wheel (uk) parrallel against a curb , got a friend to steer left/right and held the nearside steering controll arm and distinktly felt the knocking/clicking ( sounds like somthings come undone loose ) from the nearside of the steering rack.
once the rack was out of the car we put it in a vice , removed the pipes and oil and tried by hand to force the rack through it's full travel , this is where we found the clicking/knocking ,the travel was dry and not very smooth, it was nowhere near as bad , obviously its exegerated with the weight of the car.
i phone around for some advice on reconditioning and was told to pull back the gaters from the rack to inspect the condition of the toothed arms . the nearside that was giving me the sounds , was dark , and looked like it had sufferd heat damage , although its not in a particularly hot area . i got quotes ranging from £160 -£260 although i,m not sure whats involved because volvo bedford ( uk) verbaly quoted me £750 for recon or £1600 for replacement if i drive the car in.