Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Odd problem

Old 08-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Odd problem

My wife drives a 2005 XC90 with the turbo engine and auto transmission. It has about 50K miles. For the past several months we have had an odd problem that 3 different dealers have been unable to fix. When driving for more than an hour at high speeds, the engine/transmission develops a terrible shake and loses significant power. Even when we stop, the idle is way off and revs and dips on its own. The transmission shifts harder. The dealer has replaced a turbo cylinder?, an ignition coil, a motor mount, and reflashed the transmission. nothing helps although the dealer says they can never replicate the problem. (I think its because they cant take the time to drive it long enough). My wife is ready to trade the truck but we loved it before. Any ideas? We take it to the shop again on Monday, for the 4th time!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help! Odd problem

Sorry about the problem.

I'm not savvy to the XC90, and I can only suggest that you have a visit to a local auto parts shop, such as AutoZone that provides free OBD-II diagnostic service (they connect a hand-held scanner to your car & can tell you if there are fault codes in your car's computer). If there are codes, they have to be reset or find out why the code(s) has been set, then repair the problem.

Also, make sure that the dealer flushed the transmission fluid with the proper type of fluid (transmission fluids are not compatible), and make sure that the fluid level is at normal as well; it must not be too low or too high.

The problem seems to be electronic engine control or transmission control related. Wait till you receive a reply from gentleman by the name of Moderator Tech.

I wish you the best of luck & safety. If the XC90 acts up, hit the shifter in "N". You do not have to press the shifter button to get it from "D" to "N".

I just researched recalls on XC90, and there is no recall for EEC (Electronic Engine Control) or transmission control. If your XC90 came with GM-built transmission, that may be the problem, as many people have reported of poor performance on the GM-built gearbox.

JPN

Old 08-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Help! Odd problem

When you take it in try to drive it the time it usually takes to get it to mess up before you bring it to them. This way it is acting up when you get there. Then ask for the shop foreman or the Service Manager to go for a drive with you and show them exactly what it is doing. That is usually the best way to get it fixed properly. This way they will know exactly what it is doing when it messes up.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Default RE: Help! Odd problem UPDATED

Well, this may be the last day with our XC90. I am so frustrated. I had the car acting up and took it to the dealer. A mechanic rode with me and agreed that something bad was wrong, we could barely merge onto the expressway -definately lost a cylinder or two. got a call last night from the service guy, he says they can't replicate the problem! I lost it and explained thats why I brought it in when it was acting up. He then says they reset the code that showed a bad ignition coil (that was replaced last week!) and said maybe it would quit. Are they serious? When it acts up, you can turn the car off for 5 seconds and its fine for an hour or so. If the computer was bad would it still send a code saying it was bad? Wife wants a Suburban now, 6 trips for repair in two months, $800 spent, and nothing is better!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 AM

Sounds like your problem is electrical or computer related. I can't really advice you about technical stuffbut I agree with JPN inbringing it to an independent and reliable auto shop who specializes in european cars. As for gettinga Suburban, if you trully want a trouble free vehicle, Toyota is the brand. I bought a used 1997 Landcruiser 80 series about 5 years ago and it has never given me any problem. Only the minor power steering repair kit and brakes were serviced since then aside from oil changes every 3000 kilometers. I have a diesel model. Whenever I leave town for a month, when I come back, it starts right up. It has 89,000 kilometers on it now.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:34 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Again, sorry about the problem.

If you still would want to fix it (which I doubt), please give us as much detail about the vehicle & symptom as possible so we can narrow down the possibility.

>they can't replicate the problem!

On rare occasions, it does happen. Even though cars are not living creatures, sometimes they do behave like one. But there is a reason behind every problem.

>He then says they reset the code that showed a bad ignition coil (that was replaced last week!) and said >maybe it would quit.

On rare occasions, new parts could be defective, or had been handled/installed incorrectly.

>If the computer was bad would it still send a code saying it was bad?

If the EEC/ECU (Electronic Engine Control/Electronic Control Unit; computer) is shot, no one knows what it's capable of, including the guy/gal who designed it....

At this point I would call the following:

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC
Attn: Volvo Customer Care Center
1 Volvo Drive
Rockleigh, New Jersey 07647

Tel: 1-800-458-1552
Email: customercare@volvocars.com
Hours: 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM EST, M - F

http://www.volvocars.us/footer/contact/customercare.htm
http://www.volvocars.us/footer/contact/

And if they haven't learned the definition of "customer service" while in elementary school, here's your ultimate resort:

http://www.volvocars.se/footer/contact/
Volvo Personbilar Sverige AB
Postadress
405 31 Göteborg
Besöksadress
Rävebergsvägen, Angered
Telefon (vxl)
031-325 02 00 (From U.S: International call#-46-31-325-0200)
Fax
031-330 79 36
Växeln är öppen vardagar 07-18.

Give them a call. Don't worry, most Scandinavian people speak English very well. Also, when you visit a foreign web site, move the mouse pointer to hyper links and look at the bottom-left of the browser; it should give you the definitions in English.

If, in case if you're done with Volvo, I would go with either a Toyota (Lexus) or Acura MDX.

I wish I could help you better.

JPN

Old 08-26-2007, 08:01 PM

Sounds like an electrical issue after warmed up. Loose/cracked wire? Where are you taking it in Macon? (Georgia, right?) I haven't had much luck at the dealer. Have you tried one of the local independent shops?