Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PEM Fuel Pump driver module

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PEM Fuel Pump driver module

Hi Guys, I have a a Stutter feel while driving, and it happens when accelerating.

So I have found out that there is a PEM, generally found in the wheel well next to the passenger side, rear tire. My confusion starts with the two different PEM part numbers, Seems my car should be the 30742823. There are a few posts with a number ending in 225, that I almost ordered, thinking that it wouldn't matter?

Per the Here is a service bulletin

NO: 23-29

DATE: 1-17-2008

MODEL: See chart below

M. YEAR: 2005-2007

SUBJECT:
Installing Extra Fuel Pump Feed Cable

REFERENCE:
VIDA, TNN 23-28
https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2...still-no-start
So I guess my question is, knowing that this article is in reference to a vehicle that stopped running, and starting. With my vehicle stuttering, and the dealership said that the fuel pump module was throwing codes, (non specific) their recommendation was a $800+ job, that would replace the PEM. and wasn't mentioned, but i suspect they may move interior per the above service bulletin. is my car on the way to a no start, and shut down situation?

Thanks guys

PS, has anyone done this at home? shade tree mechanic style? Seems like it should be easy. If I can figure out where the insertion into the vehicle cavity is suppose to be done at?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure which part is the right one for your car. Sometimes they change parts in the middle of a model year. Sometimes it matters, sometimes not.

I can share that I had to do this procedure due to the car stuttering, eventually stalling and then not restarting. Left me stranded on a few occasions. I've attached my DIY below. It wasn't hard and I decided to leave the PEM in the wheel well. It lasted over 200K miles so I figured I was probably good.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...utorial-71534/

I chased my tail on this issue like crazy until finally changing the PEM. A few things to share with the forum...

1. Specific XC90 model
2. Specific codes from dealer

You want to be sure it's not something like the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail, dirty injectors, fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, dirty MAF sensor, dirty throttle body...that kind of stuff. I did most of these only to replace the PEM last. So yeah...that was an expensive end around.

Simply replacing the PEM isn't hard. Not sure how hard relocation is.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Thanks I have updated it. 05 FWD 2.5T, XC90 7 seats.
I am finding both numbers for low end $280 and up.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:42 PM

I ended up buying mine used on eBay. First one came DOA and they sent another one that has worked great since. I think I ended up paying around $150 for the used one. The new ones were (and still seem to be) around $300.

It's too bad the Xemodex doesn't make their PEM units anymore. They were waterproofed so the location didn't matter.

After some quick research on VolvoPartsWebstore I remembered going through the same thing with the part numbers. Volvo has different parts depending on your chassis number. Here's more about that, but it's essentially the last 6 numbers of your VIN...
https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/1001...s-fit-my-volvo

Part number 30742823 is up to chassis number 238088.

Part number 30769225 is chassis number 238089 and up.

What's the difference? Who knows, but that's why there different part numbers. Hope that helps!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the update, my last 6 are 138956, so it looks like i am 30742823.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 PM

I got one off of Ebay, it was easy to put in. it was tool-less repair. I wish I would have known that before I took the tire off, because I thought it was in behind the passenger rear tire splash guard. turned out to be another foot forward from there. Next to the fuel filter. the tool-less part, it was held in place with little wings, on all four corners. so you just have to hold two wings attempt to slide, and lodge the wings in a open, then do the same to the opposite side, and viola it slides down.

Took it for a 10 mile drive, got gas. it seems to be 95% better. it still seem to hesitate but not as often as the old one. perhaps there a learning event. by the time I got home it did seem alot better, but that might just mean I wasnt driving like a bat out of HeLL.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Default Pem

Originally Posted by arfstrom
I got one off of Ebay, it was easy to put in. it was tool-less repair. I wish I would have known that before I took the tire off, because I thought it was in behind the passenger rear tire splash guard. turned out to be another foot forward from there. Next to the fuel filter. the tool-less part, it was held in place with little wings, on all four corners. so you just have to hold two wings attempt to slide, and lodge the wings in a open, then do the same to the opposite side, and viola it slides down.

Took it for a 10 mile drive, got gas. it seems to be 95% better. it still seem to hesitate but not as often as the old one. perhaps there a learning event. by the time I got home it did seem alot better, but that might just mean I wasnt driving like a bat out of HeLL.
I had same issue, got my PEM, new, from Ford, same unit, same SN and a mere fraction of cost. I tried the used ones as well, seemed to change problem, not fix them, so went with new and it has been fine, no more cutting out and eventually stalling, had to let is sit for a few minutes, and would start back up and was OK, annoying for sure.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:53 PM

I don't suppose anyone knows if the upgrade modification, included the adding of power to the second fuel pump? (or am I just making that up?) is that all the new wire harness is for? could that be a symptom of the stuttering?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 AM

I don't suppose anyone knows if the upgrade modification, included the adding of power to the second fuel pump? (or am I just making that up?) is that all the new wire harness is for? could that be a symptom of the stuttering?
I'm not sure I completely follow...
I thought there was only one fuel pump? I replaced mine and I thought the only pump was the one in the tank. With that said, I'm not sure what the solution to relocate the PEM even looks like. I had a hard time tracking where the wires went after leaving the wheel well. It looked like they ended up going on top of, or along the side of the fuel tank.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Smile <Solved> PEM Fuel Pump Driver Module "Engine Hesitation"

Okay, so my real problem was the vibration of the engine while accelerating. I replaced the PEM, Initially it was improved, but didn't go away. The last symptom/engine diagnosis was a misfire on cylinder 5. which did remind that I had a same issue with cylinder 1, last year.

I found a EBay site that was selling 5 ignition coils for about $50 usd. and I replaced all 5 of them. Took about 25 minutes.

So on my first trip, it was great.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Question [FORD part info] / Re: PEM Fuel Pump driver module

Originally Posted by FREE-PPV
I had same issue, got my PEM, new, from Ford, same unit, same SN and a mere fraction of cost.[snipped].
Trying to track down the equivalent / identical Ford branded PEM part...
Could you please share the Ford vehicle
  • model and year, and
  • the Ford PN (you indicated SN, was that a typo?).
Much thanks!

Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Oliver Hsieh
Trying to track down the equivalent / identical Ford branded PEM part...
Could you please share the Ford vehicle
  • model and year, and
  • the Ford PN (you indicated SN, was that a typo?).
Much thanks!

I found this off of Mathews volvo site,
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...=87748#p491536

Bosch https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/ does note a chassis break at 238088 between 580 001 002 (Volvo PN 8629614/30636431/30742823) and 580 001 007 (30769225/Ford 4N5T-9C105-AG) for the XC90. My "guess" is this chassis number aligns close in model year to when the PEM gets moved inside (2006/2007). Case interior of the heat sink looks a little different between the two, maybe to reduce the oxidation that some of the early model photos have been showing.

Other than that, that should get your google popping up some results that should help you. Good luck

Old 11-28-2019, 01:47 PM

I found this off of Mathews volvo site,
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...=87748#p491536

Bosch https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/ does note a chassis break at 238088 between 580 001 002 (Volvo PN 8629614/30636431/30742823) and 580 001 007 (30769225/Ford 4N5T-9C105-AG) for the XC90. My "guess" is this chassis number aligns close in model year to when the PEM gets moved inside (2006/2007). Case interior of the heat sink looks a little different between the two, maybe to reduce the oxidation that some of the early model photos have been showing.

Other than that, that should get your google popping up some results that should help you. Good luck
[I did not mention the application is for a 2004 V70R.]

I just received a NOS 30742823 sourced from eBay. (This one does not have the Velcro strap.) According the Parts Department of Jaffarian Volvo and FCP Euro this is the correct part, although...

according to this TNN document the specific PEM part number is 30769225 which:
  1. according to FCPEuro is for metal tank applications
  2. has self adhesive Velcro strap for attaching
  3. all the search hits for Ford p/n 4N5T-9C105-AG pointed to this and all indicated as for Volvo applications.
At this point my conclusion is that these two are absolutely interchangeable. It's just another example of Volvo''s very weird practice of creating very minute, insignificant variations (in this case, w/ and w/o attaching Velcro straps) and insisting that they are incompatible, that drives customers to aggravated annoyance and frustration.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:54 AM
Default Looked everywhere my PEM is hiding

Hi folks, I own a Volvo S60 2001 model. It has plastic tanks, I have checked next to and ontop of the tanks, in the spare wheel well, under the rear seats with no luck. Could it be ontop of the tanks? Anywhere else I should check before starting that daunting task? Please help. I am desperate.