Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power System Service Urgent fault '05 V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power System Service Urgent fault '05 V8

Newbie here, but read these posts for information about my car frequently.

I bought my first Volvo, an 05 XC90 V8 last fall, with 128,000 miles on it. I've had to do a few things to it, but all routine maintenance type items. Really really like this car so far.

Last Monday, after a 600 mile trip and about 5 miles from home my stereo cut out abruptly and I got the Power System Service Urgent message and the battery icon. I made it home and checked the battery while running to see if the alternator was working, but the voltage was right around 12. I did the usual Google to see what that code means. Saw that most of these faults were fixed with a new alternator. With 138,000 on the clock, I figured that it could use one even if that is not the problem. I ordered a AL0821X Bosch unit from FCPEuro and had it dropped shipped to my Indy mechanic. It looked like there have been problems with "other" alternators for this car, so I wanted the genuine article. I printed a how-to guide off for him, since there were some watchouts that could easily be missed otherwise. He had it changed on Friday, but the error remains, and it appears that the alternator is still not charging. This is my only vehicle and I'm getting worried about the bill and getting tired of creatively trying to get to and from work.

I guess I'm looking for any info about possible bad rebuilt units, or if it could have blown a fuse of some sort. I was able to eject a CD after the incident, so not so sure about the fuse thing. My mechanic uses Alldata, but I read somewhere that it's not very good for Volvos.

Any input here is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also in Indy and just picked up a 2005 V8 with 135k on the clock. Today! It actually had the alternator replaced in the last 30,000 miles. The prior owner took it to Tom Wood for everything and has the stack of receipts to prove it.

Typically alternators get a signal that it's OK for it to start charging the car, so they don't draw on the engine load when the starter is running. It's possible that wiring may not be hooked in all the way. Is the alternator and engine block properly grounded? It could be that a grounding wire is loose somewhere, which could cause this issue.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you load test the battery? if it is dead (as in at end of life) it won't take a charge. also check proper belt tension. fusible link between battery and alternator, check for continuity.