Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random noise on front passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random noise on front passenger side

I am currently an owner of a 2006 XC90. Over the past month my suv began to make noise on the front right side. I took it in to get looked at and was told that my ball joint needed to replaced, so I did. Still making the noise. It makes a rattling noise when I hit a bump. It sounds like the lugnuts are loose. After 3 mechanics and no answers, I'm not sure what to do at this point. Has anyone else dealt with this or any advice as to what it could be?

Thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM

Have you checked to make sure the noise is not coming from the passenger door? The reason I say this is the locking mechanism in my passenger door became loose. It drove me crazy until I finally heard it one day when I shut the door.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Default Rattle when hitting bumps

I have a 2004 xc90 and have had this random rattle when I hit rougher patches of road going on since winter. I thought it was coming from my driver side front wheel area but no one could tell me what it was. I just looked under my car to address a leak issue and see that the large squarish black plastic protection panel is broke away from the bolt holding one corner in place, and sure enough it makes that sound when I shake it... Let me know if this is the same in your case. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM

I also have the 04 XC90. We have had issues with the front suspension since purchase 2 1/2 years ago. Initially it was a large clunk when turning which was a ball joint. After we replaced that, we could hear a slight rattle in the front end on the passenger side. We had the stabilizer links changed but the rattler persisted. My mechanic thinks it is the upper strut mount and bushing. You can actually grab the strut from under the hood and move it back and forth and it moves as the vehicle rocks. The sound has grown louder and louder. Good luck! If it gets louder, I would have them check the upper strut mount or the lower control arm bushing which needs replaced as well in my car.

Upper strut mount and bushing replacement less than $100.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by kiway
Have you checked to make sure the noise is not coming from the passenger door? The reason I say this is the locking mechanism in my passenger door became loose. It drove me crazy until I finally heard it one day when I shut the door.
How did you fix it?? I think this is what could be making the noise on mine...

Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wk1109
I am currently an owner of a 2006 XC90. Over the past month my suv began to make noise on the front right side. I took it in to get looked at and was told that my ball joint needed to replaced, so I did. Still making the noise. It makes a rattling noise when I hit a bump. It sounds like the lugnuts are loose. After 3 mechanics and no answers, I'm not sure what to do at this point. Has anyone else dealt with this or any advice as to what it could be?

Thanks
My guess would be the front passenger side motor mount. Mine sounded awful over bumps and even during acceleration. Sounded like the car was falling apart.

Here's my post about it.

The other option already mentioned would be the upper strut mount. Those can rattle and make a bunch of noise especially over bumps.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Hi
There are some rubers when you mount the springs,that noise came from movement of springs.