Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear noise

I have a 2005 volvo xc90 T6. Love the car :-) ...:-(

There is a "clicking/clunking" nosie from the rear end. It looks like it is the left rear wheel. I took the car to the shop and after a couple of days they said it was the wheel hub and the splash shield. They found the following TSB... "TJ11760 MAR 11 Wheels - Rear Wheel Hub Noise, Splash Shield Install"

Well, I replaced both rear wheelhubs and the noise still there. Do I need to repalce the splash shield? Is anyone familiar with this issue? I called the dealer and the guys from the service department had no idea what I was referring to. They were not even familiar with the TSB.

The noise sounds like something is hitting the metal shield but I could not find anything the may be doing so. I must add the it only happens when depressing the gas pedal. I checked the driveline shaft but there is no play and the shaft that connects to the hub seems to be ok as well. Also, the noise seems to go away after a while.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Just had this problem and it was the front cv joint on the main drive shaft. Took forever to diagnose but it did fix the problem.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 PM

I think, I have the same problem. The car was put on a lift and then we saw the driveshaft "wavering" and making the noise at the center support. Getting ready to replace it. I will post the results later. Thanks

Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Hello,

Replaced driveshaft, noise is gone...I got a used one with 68K for $400 from Volvo Recycle in Rancho Cordova, CA

Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 AM

That's great.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Newbe and 1st question. I took the car to 3 mechanic 1 said it was a center bearing in between the driveshafts. The 2 other guys never put it on the lift took them both for a ride to hear the noise and both said it was the drive shaft. Since I know very little if anything about car maitianince should I go with the 2 guys who said driveshaft or take it to volvo and go for my lungs. The guy who said it was a bearning can't work on the car dosen't havethe tools he says. The driveshaft guys said it would cost $1000 just for the part.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Hey Bankonfrank,

They’re both probably referring to the same thing. My car had the problem at the center support bearing as well. Unfortunately, as you may already know, the driveshaft is not serviceable; the whole part has to be replaced. As far as replacing it, there is no need for special tools. Remove the bolts at both ends and you are done. You may have to hammer it a bit once the bolts are removed, but it is definitely a DIY job. Also, you need to move the Catalytic converter out of the way to get to the bolts on the transmission side. As far as the price is concerned, $1000 + labor is about right for most places, dealer is a lot more L; however, you can get one on the internet for around $800 or try a used one from a Volvo recycle shop then you can ask any shop to have it replaced. Depending on where you are, they may charge anywhere from $50 to $100. I live in Rancho Cordova, CA, one shop wanted $50 to replace it but I ended up doing it myself .If you get a used one, ask about mileage, you probably do not want one with a lot of miles on it. If you want to give it a try, there are directions somewhere on this site. If you cannot find them, I can provide you with the step by step process when I replaced mine. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Default noise

Hey Gamador just want to thank you for the advise. I had the cx 90 flatbedded to Volvo of Edison NJ, the funny thing is after the guy secured it to the truck he was able to see under it and noticed a bearing I think he said CV bearing dislodged from the muffler. He also thought a cable might have been hanging. I took his info and passed it on to the service guy when I called Volvo I told them (made beleive I noticed it so as to think I knew something about cars) and maybe not get ripped off. Again thank you for your concern and advise.
Frank

Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM

No problem. Let us know how it went. Good luck!