Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace factory stereo in XC90

Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 PM
L76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace factory stereo in XC90

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a new XC90 V8. I want to put an aftermarket DVD/CD/Surround/Nav system into the XC90. Anyone done this yet? Can you keep the head unit and just replace the amp and speakers... or will the head unit have to go too? Just not interested in paying for the premium sound system (sounded bad to me on showroom floor) PLUS another $2k for the DVD... sure I can get something better at a fraction of the price... Any advice?

thx,
L76

Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Replace factory stereo in XC90

The XC90's are touchy with the stereo system due to the fiberoptics.
The nav/DVD can be added but the other is a pain in the butt.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:42 AM
L76

Thanks for the feedback.... but what fiberoptics? If we order a vehicle with just the premium stereo (not dvd or nav) what does it use fiberoptics for? If I ripped out the whole head deck, ripped out the amp, and replaced the speakers... how could this effect the rest of the car? (Or how would the fiberoptics in the rest of the car effect the new stereo?) I though that all I would need is a hot lead and ground from the battery and an ability to connect the anntena hot lead to the amp (standard output for car amps). Is there something I am miussing here? (I'd run custom speaker wires throughout the vehicle) thoughts? Am I proceeding down a slippery slope?

-L76

Old 07-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Administrator

The fiberoptics control the antenna and the network from the radio to the vehicle.I don't think they have come up with an adapter yet to hook the antenna up to an aftermarket radio.Half of the radio system in the XC90 uses fiberoptics.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:59 PM
L76

Thanks Tech.

So what do I risk if I do this project... damn the topedos? If I remove the entire Volvo stereo system and install my own what dependancies does the cars fiberoptic/electrical system have on the stereo being present? So far I *believe* you are telling me that the following connections are fiberoptic:

1. Amp to antenna
2. Head unit to amp
3. Amp to speakers (?)
4. Rear seat control units for headphones/etc. <--> Amp

Anything else? What is the network to which you refer? The vehicle computer backbone/OBDII? Do I risk eliminating the front/rear park sensors? What's wired into this thing? Where is the antenna in the XC90?

thx,
L76

Old 07-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

The fiber optics control most of the radio functions.Yes you will loose the reverse sensors if you remove the radio.
The radio is part of the network of the entire vehicle.Every computer in the vehicle talk to each other.I beleive there is like 15 or 20 of them in the XC90.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 PM
L76

Will I get an annoying warning light on a dash that says the parking sensors aren't working... or will they just not function? I can live without them. I'm still persistent here.... its just a stereo. ALL A STEREO NEEDS is a hot lead/ground, and antenna, and some connection (preferably analog) to the speakers. I just don't understand why replacing the factory stereo should impact the rest of the vehicle? I understand that there are several interlinked computers... but its scary to think that the engine regulation/ABS reulgation/gyroscope or other computers have ANYTHING to do with the computer managing the stereo!!!!!!

IMHO - consumers should be able to rip the entire stereo system out of any new vehicle and not impact safety or vehicle perofrmance in any fashion. Just trying to figure out what I risk by going forward...

Wonder if there is an adpater for the fiberoptic antenna... or if I should just install my own separate antenna.. WHERE is the antenna on this vahicle?

Thanks,
-L76

Old 07-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator

You can check with the dealer and see if there is a program for the radio removal function on the XC90.
I know on the other cars V70,S60,S80 there is a function to remove the radio from the network.I don't know about the XC90.

The antenna is under the black cover in the roof at the back of the vehicle.There is a special way to get to it and then reinstall it.
Im not sure how to do it.I know we had to have a glass company come out to remove the cover and then install a new one due to antenna problems.

I think the back up system just won't work.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:52 PM
L76

Thanks again Tech.

Volvo sure doesn't want to make it easy to do this... do they? If I do this job I'll take pix and document the progress. Having reservations about by the car now. I'm a little odd... I take my audio seriously...

-L76

Old 07-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

I know the feeling thats the first thing I do to my cars when I buy them.

I am always short on money but!!!!
Im running 700 watts in my mustang through 10 speakers total including the subs.

I need more power.Atleast 1000 watts for the subs.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:23 AM

I have been readin up on replacing mine w/ an aftermarket Pioneer or Eclipse system, wish me luck.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 PM

IT CAN BE DONE WITH NO PROBLEM AS LONG AS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING IT YOURSELF....WOULD HAVE IT DONE PROFESSIONALLY UNLESS YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED INSTALLER

Old 09-30-2006, 02:15 PM

I finally did it. Installed an aftermarket double din touchscreen entertainment center/ Pioneer AVIC Z1. Everything is good but we have one problem:

THe turn signals and keyless remote won't work. What's wrong. Circuit Breaker?

FLIP?

Old 10-15-2006, 04:11 PM

too bad.....but i love my volvo

Old 10-15-2006, 04:12 PM

check your fuses, and make sure everything is pluged back in......my volvo is faster than yours

Old 10-16-2006, 02:15 AM

It's all good. Apparently a harness for the original radio still needed to be plugged in for those items to work. It's all in and this is the final product.
Name:  Sourcesx.jpg
Views: 4423
Size:  44.3 KB
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/Sourcesx.jpg
Here are all the source options. I currently have Bluetooth, IPOD and RCA cables for video in the glove box, Nav, DVD, Sirius, CD, and the Library is 30GB of music ripped directly to the car.
Name:  DVDx.jpg
Views: 5427
Size:  27.6 KB
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m..._2006/DVDx.jpg
This is a movie playing. It's linked to the parking brake but I am thinking about grounding that wire.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 PM

can i hookup aaftermarket radio to the factory antenna.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:44 PM

This is exactly what I am looking to do-I cannot face another hour in my car with a measly 6 cd's to listen to. How much did it cost you (if you don't mind me asking) and did you do it yourself? If you did, where did you get the bezel for the dash?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 PM

I did have Circut City install the head unit. More because their service allowed for the customer to return the system back to its original configuration without any charge. Although, I think they went out of business so not sure if that will work out for me now. I think it cost $350. I didn't have them install anything else, then I went back in afterwards and installed the Sirius, Bluetooth, IPOD adapter, and using the Alpine website I found out how to ground the parking brake connection so it will allow you to use all the functions of the GPS/DVD while driving. It was just frustrating for us to have to pull over when my wife could easily type in an address while enroute. I understand the safety reasons but come on, I drive a Volvo... I know not to use the GPS or watch a movie while I drive. The plastic frame was purchased at Metra. Although the XC90 last checked only had a single din. So I had to have CC cut mine to fit a double din. I wasn't impressed with their work and if a double din is ever made for the XC90, I'll be the first to buy. I don't know how the speakers were incorporated but from what I understand of their work, they tapped into the speaker wire as it left the AMP. Therefore, taking the AMP from the system. That was fine with me cause the Alpine put out a better sound anyway. I am really happy with it all. For the price it sure does trump anything VOLVO has offered to install.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The radio is part of the network on the vehicle. if u pull it out completely it can cut out other parts of electrical system.. For say the display unit failed at times it can bring down the interior electronic system. the best way to do is get the factory dynaudio system the amp should be plenty to push most aftermarket speaker. If u want more bass tap onto rear D pillar speakers and get signal from it to a after market amp and subwoofer box... in this it should not disturb the fiber optic and the other part of the network system. The dynaudio system is not bad either.. They come with woven speaker compare to paper woofer on the base model speakers...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace factory stereo in XC90