Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Brake Pads... need a bit of advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Brake Pads... need a bit of advice

has anyone replaced original brake pads with aftermarket products such as EBC, etc.

looking to replace brakes for the first time at 47,000 miles.

any insight is appreciated.

thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Default RE: Replacing Brake Pads... need a bit of advice

I plan to go with something like EBC when it comes time, something a bit less dust emmitting. I would not go with a ceramic unless you get newupgraded rotors; vented and driled, due to the heat that is generated. The heat caused by ceramics can warp or damagemost stock rotors, somethingI have experienced.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:43 PM

I have heard some bad stories on drilled rotors. The heat tends to cause cracking and failure on the discs. I upgraded my brake system with Evolve's Big Brake System (brembo 8 piston brakes). They do create brake dust, but the 8 piston system gives your pads twice the life span - or so I was told by the manufacturer. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, fantastic performance, but very expensive. Expect to pay almost $7,000 after install.

Here is more info on the brake system and feedback on drilled rotors:

http://www.evolvecars.com/site/index...57,239,0,0,1,0

Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM

I failed to mention the stock rim will not work with this brake upgrade, you will need a larger rim. With mine, I also had to order 10mm hub extensions from Heico to clear my rims as these calibers are BIG! Then of course a realignment was need to adjust the step out and suspension setup I did on the vehicle. Isn't customizing fun!

The pic below shows you the brake/rim setup - pardon the snow tires - it's winter here in Canada - lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/14653/27BFF7DF53DA4A1BBBA954D9D207FE3E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been driving Volvos for 23 years now and have tried aftermarket/non OEM pads two or three times only to take them off and go back to OEM within 5,000 miles. If you are willing to spend $7,000 for new brakes then that's a different story. I don't pay that much for my cars.

The problem with OEM pads is the dust, but they stop the car good and do not squeal. I can not stand squealing brakes and that is the problem I have had with aftermarket.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:18 PM

I totaling agree with you. If I was talented enough to work on cars and had the time, I would be working on restoration of older vehicles - but I will leave that to the pros. These brakes are everything I hoped for and more, but at a price for sure. They bite in hard and stop on a dime - minimal dust. As this is my "midlife crisis" vehicle ... and never had the resources to do this when I was younger, I have gone full out on modifications.

After all, it's cheaper then a divorce ;-)

Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 AM

I used aftermarket ceramic pads from Autozone about 1K miles ago without any problems. The brakes respond well and there's no dust.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM

I did the same thing with an 03 Expedition, ceramics from Autozone. I thought they were great at first, no dust what so ever. A few months later the rotors were warpped due to the heat that was generatedand they started making a high pitched squeal at low speeds that drove us nuts. I had to replace the rotors with some groved/ vented ones that could dissapate the heat.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If brake dust bothers you, try following:

- Wash wheels thoroughly.
- Lightly polish with plastic polish.
- Apply wax.

After waxing, it will be easy to wipe the dust off. You can either use wet rag or hose it off with water.

JPN

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 AM

A note to those getting ready to replace their rotors. There are a flood of cheap rotors on the market and the impulse is to go cheap, particularly when doing brakes yourself. Most of those cheap rotors are from China and many are not properly heat treated. They warp quickly. The last rotors I installed were U.S. mfgr'ed and cross drilled with ceramic pads. They were about twice the cost of the previous cheap units. 40K on them now without a problem. Understand that only under certain circumstances can cross drilled rotors be turned - FYI.

I have noticed a lot of brake pad/rotor replacement has to do with the way people brake. A very good friend will rush up to a corner and brake hard, every time. He gets a lot of heat sink and temperature cycles by braking that way. He complains constantly why he has to replace pads and rotors all the time. I've tried to mention it to him w/out success so keep my mouth shut.

I've installed ceramic pads on the last several vehicles I've owned mostly for the lack of dust. Never had a pad related problem, to include noise, high rotor wear, grabbing, etc. That 40K includes about 10% with a tow - in the mountains.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM
KW

I replaced front pads with Hawk Ceramic pads from Tire Rack Jul 2007.
I have 7,000 miles on pads and they bit better and keep wheels clean.
AI did put new Rotors on as there was a lip on the old rotors.
Pads were $104.94 with shipping.
I have raced Porsches for a number of years and found Hawk pads to be fantastic.
Do not try and save money on brakes. Buy the best.
KW