Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching from regular headlights to Xeon

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default switching from regular headlights to Xeon

I recently asked my volvo dealer to switch my headlights from Regular Bulbs to Xeon they said they cant cause its a factory installed option i knwo for a fact its dealer installed and its realy simple to change the lights cause ive done it on a ford truck before the volvo being a forigen car and having much more electronics i dont want to mess anything up by doing it myself. Im just making sure that i am in fact right and what the dealer would have to do change my lights or what i would have to do to change it myself

Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok I know I am a new member but, I just did this myself. Check out this item http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...item518dd1f32e I purchased exact ones myself about 3 months ago and I love them took 15 min to install and have had not one problem out of them. they come with a 1yr warranty the the seller takes care of. just make sure you go with the 5000K - 6000K because anything over that you start loosing light. hope this may help you out some.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Default Dont be a Jackass (Xenon, HID kits)

Nothing on you two, but dont do it. I was going to do this on my civic and I did some research. It looks easy enough and costs next to nothing compared to the $1000+ dealer option. There's just one problems. Its illegal in most states. Aftermarket kits blind oncoming traffic. The reason is that HID head lights from the factory come with special reflectors that focus the beam. They are not the same ones that your halogen lamps have. I am sure you have been driving and have been blinded by on comming superbright blue lights. These are jackholes that replace their halogen bulbs with a HID kit. Yeah super bright light, but it blasts everything. It may look like you can see more but its like a Mag Lite full open. You get more spread, but you nothing is in focus. Factory installed HID lights are like the Mag Lite dialed in to a point. I'll skip the physics. I assume you were aleast half awake in school.
In short dont be a jackhole.
Or just do it, I dont care.
Ok I do. Dont Do It!
PS I got a HID kit for sale.................

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM

yes i have been blinded by those lights and see your point and much rather avoid getting ticketed. But i did pay attention in pyhsics that being said i just have a question to ask you is there a Benifit from these blue lights compared to the white ones

Originally Posted by bitenmein
Nothing on you two, but dont do it. I was going to do this on my civic and I did some research. It looks easy enough and costs next to nothing compared to the $1000+ dealer option. There's just one problems. Its illegal in most states. Aftermarket kits blind oncoming traffic. The reason is that HID head lights from the factory come with special reflectors that focus the beam. They are not the same ones that your halogen lamps have. I am sure you have been driving and have been blinded by on comming superbright blue lights. These are jackholes that replace their halogen bulbs with a HID kit. Yeah super bright light, but it blasts everything. It may look like you can see more but its like a Mag Lite full open. You get more spread, but you nothing is in focus. Factory installed HID lights are like the Mag Lite dialed in to a point. I'll skip the physics. I assume you were aleast half awake in school.
In short dont be a jackhole.
Or just do it, I dont care.
Ok I do. Dont Do It!
PS I got a HID kit for sale.................

Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM

how exactly does these legal HID kits work whats the cheapest i can get them?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Default Aftermarket kits

Originally Posted by 04XC90T6AWD
how exactly does these legal HID kits work whats the cheapest i can get them?
There aren't any legal hid kits. They have to DOT certified to put on your car. I found this out when I wanted to add piaa lights to my motorcycle. In order to be legit you will have to get oem stuff from the dealer or oem aftermarket. But the cost becomes prohibitive. Next time you see xenon lights on a car take a look at the lenses. TheY look completly different than the regular focused halogen beams. The xenons hAve a magnifier lense, while the halogen just hAs reflectors.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Default Color

As far as the color goes it's personal preference. I've tried the blue and purple they both look like ****. You really can't see anything. I like the bright whites over the standard halogens. Our xc90 has the bi-xenons and they're aight. But in my highlander I have the bright white halogens. It's like in the old dAys when we switched from sealbeams to halogens. Night and day difference.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Default Would like to switch to bi-xenons

Would like to switch to bi-xenons on my 2003 XC-70 Turbo AWD. Anyone have any exact specs for same, and experienced shop that can do a first rate job in New York City area? Not looking to add aftermarket el cheapo crap that is an illegal installation, poor quality and poor life duration product.

I am willing to spend large for parts & labor if necessary. Alternative may be grill or bumper installed driving lights, or both bi-xenons and the driving lights.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 PM

The XC90 is a good candidate for the HID conversion because the original headlight has projection, not reflection type housing. I have tried a lower end kit from Amazon with success. My neighbor is a police officer and he think it is not causing any problem. I talked about this with him and he said there are 2 things that other drivers don't like: 1) misaligned headlight, which means aimed too high and causing discomfort for other drivers; 2) reflector headlight converted to HID, that's the type that causes excessive flare and can be dangerous. As to OTD approved headlight conversion, he said his office has not received any notice about this.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:15 PM

BTW, 35W HID is bright enough, but it will trigger error message on the dashboard because of the lower current draw. I think 55W will be fine but it could be too bright.