Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to repair my 2005 XC90 V8 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to repair my 2005 XC90 V8 AWD

Hello,

I'm owning a xc90 V8 from 2004, we've stopped using this one because the gearbox is broken (local garage can't open it sadly).

So the engine was running perfectly before.

After 3-4 months without running, here is the reult :

The car is starving alone or directly when I'm accelerating a little bit.
I've already checked the ETM wich could cause this kind of problem (I've read somewhere).
Fuses are OK, relay too (exept fuel pump relay, I'm unable to locate)
At this moment I'm suspecting a fuel pump problem
I've changed the fuel filter.

3-4 months later, I'm back to the work :

First start : The engine start like in the previous video --> same problem.
After that, the car will never start again :

Here is the video:

The flywheel seems to be trained by the starter so I'm still thinking it's the fuel pump's problem (Need your advice).

After 1-2 hours I'm finally able to access fuel pumps : (This is not my photo/car but it's the same way.

Name:  blankback_zps64b5e6ea.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  122.7 KB

So without testing fuel pump's relay, I'm testing fuel pump by disconnecting the pipe going to the engine, then I'm trying to start the car but nothing happens! It seems that the fuel pump isn't running, is it normal?

Before working on fuel pump, I need to locate the relay(s), can anyone please tell me where to found it?

Or maybe I'm totally wrong, let me know!

I would really appreciate your help,
Sorry for my english, je suis Français!
o/

Old 03-16-2017, 02:05 PM

Up pleeeease..Thank you

Old 03-24-2017, 08:26 PM

You know when I thought I had bad gas, I also replaced the fuel filter, Fuel pressure sensor, before I replaced the fuel sensor, I thought I should get the bad gas out, so I took out the Schrader valve from the fuel rail, pumped all the fuel out into 5 gallon fuel cans (used a fuel hose with a locking pliers to allow pressure to happen, so the car can start. Then I drained the fuel tank into the fuel can. (obviously I made sure I was under 5 gallons before starting this project.) Then that kicked off a bad pump signal, which after the dealer told me it was almost 1600 to replace, they reset it, its been fine since. My original issue was a stuttering of the engine, it happened when I had the car for about 3 months, I had an engine light turn on, it was the number 1 coil, I replaced it, that was good for 8 months, then the number 5 finally error-ed on a hard turbo kick. I was able to find a 5 pack of coils off of ebay for $50. USD, and i replaced all of them. its been good to me since. I had considered replacing the fuel pump during consideration of this problem. Until I got the confirmation of the missfire #1, I had no idea what was wrong with my car.