Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 -what is the proper tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V8 -what is the proper tire pressure?

Had 7500 miles service -after driving the car wife says:"The front tire seem deflated slightly". Checked pressure 31-32 psi all around.
I try to keep at 39, the dealer deeflated to 32. I understand the underinflated tire will wear out on the sides quicker. Called dealer back-service says:"We adjust pressure depending on your tires condition, usually to 32-36".
I think that there is a reason why Volvo recommends 39-the car is heavy, also, handling is doing to be compromized when inflated to less then recommended pressure.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: V8 -what is the proper tire pressure?

I would keep them at what is reccomended on the Fuel door.

Me if I would have worked on it I would have left ot alone. If it was at 32 I would have moved it up to 36.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:20 AM

Thanks, tech- I do not want to wear out $200 tires prematurely, which probably would happen if underinflated.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire pressure. Been in and around the tire business most of my life. MANY people, dealers, tire business, etc., look at the side wall and to where it says "Max pressure of xx PSI, xxxx pounds" or someting like that and will tell you to put the pressure at that figure, usually 34-36 pounds. This info is steering you in the wrong direction. That pressure is for load carrying only. It is telling you that even if you put 100 pounds of pressure in the tire you cannot safely carry more weight than is specified. The converse is not true. Less pressure means less wieght on the tire than what is stated.

We all want long life from our tires but keep in mind everyone drives differently. What may be correct for me, will not necessarily be correct for you. This works. When tires are brand spanking new you will note little rubber string-like pieces of rubber all over the tread face. A good STARTING point is the mfgr's recommendation for pressure. After driving home from your tire install look at the face of the tire. You will very quickly see those strings wearing off, either on the outside (underinflated) or in the middle (over inflated) of the tire face. Correct the pressure accordingly and drive some more. Check every 20-30 miles. The strings will be gone pretty quick, but if you wipe your hand across the tire tread face you will faintly see the nubs of the remaining strings. Further adjust the pressure. Because these strings wear off quickly check often. You'll very quickly figure this out. For example, if the strings are completely gone in the center by the time you get home from the tire store, you'd better lower the pressure by 7-8 pounds minimum. But, once the correct pressure is established, keeping the pressure the same will dramatically increase the life of the tires. Typically there will be a 2-4 pound difference front to rear, and depending upon your miles there may even be a pound or two difference side to side. When you go on a trip and load up the back, add 2-3 pounds. This will also prevent your finding out you've over inflated your tires for 10,000 miles and are now faced with having to under inflate them by 7-8 pounds to get them to wear evenly for the remaining 50% of the tread life.

This works like a champ for every one, no matter how they drive. A little attention up front, when tires are new can mean a LOT of extra wear.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:02 AM

39 psi IS a recommended pressure( by Volvo) on the door. The Max. tire pressure is 44 psi on the tire itself.
I'll remember your method for the future. We have 9000 miles so far, I will post later (6 mo-1 year) as how the tires wear out if kept at 39 psi.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange on my 2008 V8 XC90 the owners manual calls for 39psi for my tire size, but the label on the driver door jamb says 36psi.

At 36psi I am getting a low pressure alarm on the TPMS, so I have it up to 39 for now and have scheduled an appt with Volvo service. I have always been told to keep the pressure set per the label on the truck body.